3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by LI89Max
Funny thing is .....I cant find that thread.
At the top of the page..

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=547514
Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by the2ndrunner
Its a 1992 maxima SE. Would a turn signal switch from a 1990 work in my car?
Originally Posted by internetautomar
Pretty sure not.
if they're both outtry comparing #s
i know this is an old thread, but yes you can. i took apart an older 90ish switch and put the parts into my 92 switch. not a direct swap, but if you're willing to do a little surgery, it should work just fine.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know this is an old thread but...

When your headlights go on and off randomly and you have daytime running lights (Canadian models) the cause is bad soldering on the daytime running light module (see Greeny's photo (above). Specifically, it is the two relays in the module that actually have breaks in the solder that binds them to the circuit board.
Solution:
1)Locate the module to the left of the steering column - see Greeny's photo (above)
2)Remove the module and extract the circuit board
3)Using a soldering iron, resolder (re-melt) the connections of the relays (they have visible coiled copper wire on them).
4)Insert the board back into its case and tape / tie it back together (because you busted it up when you removed the board)

I ended up resoldering about half of the board, just to make sure. You can find which relay is worse as one will be cooler than the other (after running the car for a bit).
Problem solved!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
My car had the same problem except it was the brights that would not work....
I'm glad i could help.......
A headlight on one side was comming on by itself when in a non driving mode and key off. I took out the light sw, module at the steering column and sprayed the contacts with TV Tuner cleaner. I used no sand paper because I did not want to bend the cu. reeds. It worked fine after that. A new module cost about $60 bucks at Nissan.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlight stays on when the switch and car is off!

I pulled into the garage turned the headlights off but the left headlight stayed on. pulled the fuse on that light. It went off. Fuse still out turned the lights on and the right light now is off and the left light is on and when the switch is off the lights are now off. If I put the fuse for the left light back in both lights work and the left light stays on after the switch and car is off. Any ideas.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM
mod or sell?

check the relay under the hood by the headlight. my guess is that the relay is bad/going
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by malc510
I pulled into the garage turned the headlights off but the left headlight stayed on. pulled the fuse on that light. It went off. Fuse still out turned the lights on and the right light now is off and the left light is on and when the switch is off the lights are now off. If I put the fuse for the left light back in both lights work and the left light stays on after the switch and car is off. Any ideas.

Its the headlight sw module on the column. Read my post above with the same exact prob.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM

I have a problem with my headlights as well, but i think its the connections that are messed up.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlights still acting up

As was suggested I removed the headlight switch, sprayed the contacts with the Radio Shack TV Tuner cleaner and lube. Replaced everything...same problem. Car off, switch off, reinsert fuse left light comes on.. I also here the relay switching, perhaps that's the next stop? any suggestions before I spring for the big buck item.

I appreciate all your help.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by malc510
As was suggested I removed the headlight switch, sprayed the contacts with the Radio Shack TV Tuner cleaner and lube. Replaced everything...same problem. Car off, switch off, reinsert fuse left light comes on.. I also here the relay switching, perhaps that's the next stop? any suggestions before I spring for the big buck item.

I appreciate all your help.
you need a multimeter and the pin config for the headlamp switch. I am at work, and photobucket is blocked, but i have one on my photobucket account somewhere (search my user name, it'll come up)
edit:

Last edited by BenStoked; 12-31-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

My headlights are doing the same thing. Ive replaced the bulbs in the driver side headlight, and when I turn the switch on only the pass headlight comes on. Recently got a new bulb to put in the driverside headlight, and now it works, but the harness gets a little hot, and the light is brighter. Now instead of the driver side low beam not coming on, It has switched to the passngr side not coming on. I will look into possibly cleaning the turn signal switch, or just gettin a junkyard one with low mileage. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
My headlights are doing the same thing. Ive replaced the bulbs in the driver side headlight, and when I turn the switch on only the pass headlight comes on. Recently got a new bulb to put in the driverside headlight, and now it works, but the harness gets a little hot, and the light is brighter. Now instead of the driver side low beam not coming on, It has switched to the passngr side not coming on. I will look into possibly cleaning the turn signal switch, or just gettin a junkyard one with low mileage. Thanks for the info.
replace with high temp connectors from PepBoys
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...y-salvage.html

A more detailed rebuild for the switch. This will save you ~$80 for an aftermarket switch
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Roymg
A headlight on one side was comming on by itself when in a non driving mode and key off. I took out the light sw, module at the steering column and sprayed the contacts with TV Tuner cleaner. I used no sand paper because I did not want to bend the cu. reeds. It worked fine after that. A new module cost about $60 bucks at Nissan.
It happened again several yrs later. I used same proceedure to fix the problem. Back on line.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 PM

one of my headlights shoots higher than the other. how do i adjust it to lower it?
heres the pic

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
LvR

Section EL31 onwards in the FSM - see the stickies above where to find a copy of the FSM

Different bulbs/technology in that vehicle? - left looks quite a bit whiter than right
Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
Section EL31 onwards in the FSM - see the stickies above where to find a copy of the FSM

Different bulbs/technology in that vehicle? - left looks quite a bit whiter than right
yea one blew out so i got a stock one and one is weak HID bulb
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
yea one blew out so i got a stock one and one is weak HID bulb
Not sure about the HID thing - lots of people here are saying that you cannot just use them as a replacement bulb - apparently you need special reflectors with different focus characteristics else you will never get it properly aligned and will upset everybody coming towards you at night - see this for example