3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cant seem to pin point vibration........

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Cant seem to pin point vibration........

`92 VE 5 speed.....
Car had a "slight" vibration at 50MPH and up.....I had the tires rotated and Balanced and there were no excesive weights on the wheels.

The right side drive axle had a torn outer boot and it was popping a little when you made a sharp turn.

I had a new axle installed and the vibration went away for about 10 miles and it started to vibrate worse than before. Took it back to the shop, and they installed another axle, and the same thing, 10 miles started vibrating, and now I hear a "scrapping" noise....."sometimes"

What else could cause this vibration....you dont feel it in the steering wheel, you feel it in the "car"....thru the pedals and such.....
Old 10-17-2005, 02:59 PM

um is the axle all the way in? i think that could cause your vibration. if its not felt in the steering wheel i dont think its a tire/balance problem. i guess find out if there is any play in the axle and go from there.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Take it back to the shop and make them fix it right....It's their responsibility to fix it correctly.....
Old 10-17-2005, 04:40 PM

this has nothing to do with the thread, but I was curious..... are you a girl (judging by the name)

Sorry if I offended you
Old 10-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Make absolutely sure they put in an axle that is designed for the limited slip differential. If the driver's side's shaft that goes into the tranny isn't long enough it won't engage the VLSD and it will cause a vibration. Happend to me. The overall length of the axle might match. BUT the length of the axle that goes into the tranny will differ if it's not the correct unit.

This of course depends on your defination of "right side". Refer to it as Passenger side or Driver's side. My explaination is for the driver's side. If the shop only worked on the Passenger side, it could be something else.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
this has nothing to do with the thread, but I was curious..... are you a girl (judging by the name)

Sorry if I offended you

Are ya looking for date or something dude??...
Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Make absolutely sure they put in an axle that is designed for the limited slip differential. If the driver's side's shaft that goes into the tranny isn't long enough it won't engage the VLSD and it will cause a vibration. Happend to me. The overall length of the axle might match. BUT the length of the axle that goes into the tranny will differ if it's not the correct unit.

This of course depends on your defination of "right side". Refer to it as Passenger side or Driver's side. My explaination is for the driver's side. If the shop only worked on the Passenger side, it could be something else.
Its the passenger side axle that was replaced, I had a repair shop do it because my daughter has it a collage a 150 miles away. I drove the car all summer and sometimes I would feel the vibration and sometimes not....I knew the passenger side axle was bad and I figured that was the cause....two rebuilt axles have been installed and it still vibrates.

I replaced that driver side axle myself about 10,000 miles ago, and yea, I had to order 6 different axles before we found the right one. I didnt have any problems installing it.

Would or could bad motor and transaxle mounts cause this vibration?

My daughter says it just seemed worse after the new axle install.

Sorry if I offended you

Sara is my daughter. No offense taken.......
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by sara92max
...10,000 miles ago...6 different axles...and sometimes ...
Maybe Jeff is onto smtg here. Maybe your driver side axle is just like Jeff says, u should have had the 7th axle... Maybe box has to be also at certain temp (=oil viscosity) and/or certain oil type as the oil plays with the VLSD.

Worn shocks, wrong toe in, any loose issue may cause some kind of vibration.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:04 AM

You know I had the same problem and I ended up replacing both axles, ball joints and got the wheels rotated and balanced somewhere around 5 times. shops were no good they were the ones that suggested for me to do that. It was my brother who was following me one day that noticed that one of my back wheels was vibrating as I drove. Low and behold I changed the tire and vibration ended and has never been back. I would like to suggest that it might be a bad tire sometimes its very hard to tell. when they spin balance it they are not accounting for the possiblity that the tire may be bad, so there computers show that the tire has been properly balanced but when you drive you notice that it still vibrates. I hope this helps some. Make the shop who did the work take the car for a spin at highway speed or take it to a tire shop and ask them to do so. they might be able to pick it up.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 PM

yea, broken belts will make the tire vibrate, even if it is balanced
Old 10-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Update:

The driver side axle I installed last year was bad. Had a new installed and the vibration is gone.

The axle was purchased at Advance Auto and I transmission tech told me that most rebuilt axles purchased from them and other stores such as Auto Zone,and others are junk.....
Old 10-23-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
well duh
anything rebuilt from those places is suspect

Your just mad `cause I didnt buy it from you...

(just kidding)
Old 10-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
actually I don't sel VE axles yet
Dang it