3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

weird sound...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:44 PM

weird sound...

I noticed today when im doing in between 1500 and 2000 rpms in first or second gear i can hear like a clicking sound... anyone have this problem?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 PM

Is this in all gears? Do you have an auto or a 5 spd?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sgibb
...second gear i can hear like a clicking sound...
A/T: Once answered to a guy with similar complaint, told him to change oil once in a lifetime, he never re-appeared, gave no answer...

dinOil is warranted 20-30kmiles. Has u max been driven more?

A/T oil change http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/23
Old 10-18-2005, 04:20 AM

Are you talking about engine oil? because i just got that changed about 500 miles ago...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:36 AM

no, I believe he's speaking about your transmission fluid. He said 20-30k which seems to be standard for a transmission fluid change.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sgibb
Are you talking about engine oil? because i just got that changed about 500 miles ago...
Check the given LINK ,please.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 AM

i get a nice whistling noise at 2500-3000 rmps :/ .. 5spd
Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get a a whistling noise between 1500-2000 RPM at 40-45 mph once it goes over or below one of those numbers noise goes away. At idle from 600-1000 rpm I also get a high pitch noise and can feel it in the car anyone know what that is? Auto
Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Check the given LINK ,please.
the link i see was for an alternator but i found the one on the next page.... i dont think i want to do a fluid change
Old 10-18-2005, 10:56 PM

are you saying you don't want to do a fluid change or you don't need to do a fluid change? If you don't want to, I'm curious as to why?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:10 AM

Wants to blow the box? The bad nissan A/T boxes u know, "they suck as they last w/o oil change only 10x more than the recommended oil change interval..."
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 AM

i heard it could actually be worse for the box
Old 10-19-2005, 04:39 AM

u heard right.

i also hear daily Mr. Bush causes hurricanes to spin, Germany to flood etcetc.

i change oil as recommended, u change box as recommended. Freedom of choice...
Old 10-19-2005, 10:17 PM

I don't know what you guys mean by "box", but my understanding is that changing your transmission fluid is only bad if it hasn't been changed on a regular basis. From what I hear, if you change transmission fluid that hasn't been changed for a long time (a couple years or so) then you could unclog something in the transmission by doing so. And supposedly you will end up having to get a new transmission. But, there is nothing wrong with keeping up with your scheduled maintenance and changing the fluid. Think about it this way, the fluid lubricates moving parts, much like your engine oil lubricates the parts in the engine, what do you think would happen to your engine if you never changed the oil? The answer is bad things, very bad things.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

michael is right if it hasnt been changed in a while and ur not sure if its ur tranny u best leave it alone for now untill u figure things out
what kind of clicking try and be a little more specfic if possible
the clicking could possible be broken exhaust manifold bolts look at the headers and feel around there should be six nuts on each manifold
try that and come back with results
clicking could be a bajilion things good luck
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

You know..mine makes a rattling noise at the 1500-2000 RPMs but its a broken screw from the exhaust that makes it do that perhaps thats whats wrong, I think my problem is what Harvs just mentioned on the manifold.

Also makes like a hovering noise or such of suction...kinda like I had a supercharger but its my Ipod FM trasmitter...sounds pretty cool IMO
Old 10-20-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
...you could unclog something ... bad things, very bad things.

How does new oil "unclog" something?
What is that "something"?
Why OLD oil does NOT do tHat?
How does oil circulate in a A/T?
What is the circulation difference with OLD OIL vs. new OIL?
In A/T, lubrication is the secondary function for OIL. What is the primary?

U guys would leave schmuck running instead of nice cool red oil?

Check out, theres nothin mysterious or magic: Its imperative to have oil change periodically in any device in any circumstances. According recommendations. Here rec is given by the right interest grp, eg. oil company who is responsible for its product. NOT nissan, whose stealer$hip responsibility is to produce maximum turnover - from u pocket.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/24
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 AM

So when do I know to change AT oil

How does new oil "unclog" something?
What is that "something"?
Why OLD oil does NOT do tHat?
How does oil circulate in a A/T?
What is the circulation difference with OLD OIL vs. new OIL?
In A/T, lubrication is the secondary function for OIL. What is the primary?

U guys would leave schmuck running instead of nice cool red oil?

Check out, theres nothin mysterious or magic: Its imperative to have oil change periodically in any device in any circumstances. According recommendations. Here rec is given by the right interest grp, eg. oil company who is responsible for its product. NOT nissan, whose stealer$hip responsibility is to produce maximum turnover - from u pocket.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/24
Hey Wiking
you're pretty smart man. I know I should read the stickies and or that cardomain guide but its been freezin my pc and maybe you or anyone can help me while we're on the subject.

I've been meaning to get my tranny flushed (which I assume is a tranny oil change) since I bought my VG last month but had no money to do it. How do I know when I need to since I dont know when it was last done. I have checked the tranny oil while car is running and its red but I dont know if its good red or bad red..lol newbie here so help would be appreciated
Old 10-20-2005, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
....know if its good red or bad red...
CarDomain sucks. Try peepin in early in the morning when u fellas sleep... Download and printout. Its somewhat detailed writeup, with txt & pics that FSM doesnt talk about. Correct u PC, goto friends PC...

The dino oil (=non synthetic) is warranted for 20-30k miles. At 80k (stealership serviced) my oil was red on stick, blk in the basin. Changed cheapest dino oil available Dexron III, impressive change! Now found Dexron IIe (=maxima req) with 2$ per quart, 5gallons. Half of it is used -with- steering fluid change.

My experience was that the writeup I found, was erroneus: too long/much pumped oil out, should be done with 10s idle at least in VG. Take one quart out, one in. ---> See .org lubr page for writeups. Too long idle results in insucked air, which caused slip (4days later!) as the foam bubbles lazily rose and blocked 2nd gear valves (?) - but no problem now after keeping car idling, 2nd ON, handbrake on, chassis smwhat tilted, 30minutes.

Red is blk? ...50k miles, from Citroen 1.8 A/T

PC:
What sucks is Microsoft AND Internet Explorer. Download free Mozilla Firefox.

IE stores 'all' cookies whatever u get from surfing. Change ie options settings, temp internet Files storage are to minimum 1Mb. These files 'demand service', u computer spends its time serving these. Delete all temporary files, easily there could be tens of thousands. MSIdiots: They are stored at least TWICE below 'documents and settings' & 'windows' subfolders...

Or format your HD, reinstall win-dowser and never touch IE. Buy more memory; after ˝GB you may take out the windows swap file and be free of its most repulsive disk fragmenting feature working havoc on u files...

Dont be afraid of viruses - win dowser is biggest!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:21 AM

CarDomain sucks. Try peepin in early in the morning when u fellas sleep... Download and printout. Its somewhat detailed writeup, with txt & pics that FSM doesnt talk about. Correct u PC, goto friends PC...

The dino oil (=non synthetic) is warranted for 20-30k miles. At 80k (stealership serviced) my oil was red on stick, blk in the basin. Changed cheapest dino oil available Dexron III, impressive change! Now found Dexron IIe (=maxima req) with 2$ per quart, 5gallons. Half of it is used -with- steering fluid change.

My experience was that the writeup I found, was erroneus: too long/much pumped oil out, should be done with 10s idle at least in VG. Take one quart out, one in. ---> See .org lubr page for writeups. Too long idle results in insucked air, which caused slip (4days later!) as the foam bubbles lazily rose and blocked 2nd gear valves (?) - but no problem now after keeping car idling, 2nd ON, handbrake on, chassis smwhat tilted, 30minutes.

Red is blk? ...50k miles, from Citroen 1.8 A/T

PC:
What sucks is Microsoft AND Internet Explorer. Download free Mozilla Firefox.

IE stores 'all' cookies whatever u get from surfing. Change ie options settings, temp internet Files storage are to minimum 1Mb. These files 'demand service', u computer spends its time serving these. Delete all temporary files, easily there could be tens of thousands. MSIdiots: They are stored at least TWICE below 'documents and settings' & 'windows' subfolders...

Or format your HD, reinstall win-dowser and never touch IE. Buy more memory; after ˝GB you may take out the windows swap file and be free of its most repulsive disk fragmenting feature working havoc on u files...

Dont be afraid of viruses - win dowser is biggest!
Thanks but I already use Firefox, yes Microsoft products suck..altough I like Office sometimes. I do format my HD once in a while but dont feel like doing that right now cuz I have a lot to back up and then I gotta reinstall Itunes and select all the folders I wanna add to my library, too much work right now. lol

I dont know if the previous owner got the tranny flushed but I feel like asking mommy for money to get it done. Yes I know it shows me step by step on that guide but I'm afraid I'll do something wrong and it'll cost me more to repair..so i rather leave it to the professionals or so thats what they call themselves. Anyone wanna help/teach me with hands on tranny oil change?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
...help/teach me with hands on tranny oil change?
I want to. So I built the CD page, as its too costly trip. ...theres some illustrations to depict what happens.

Goto shop and watch it happen: After initial drain/fill, only one hose taken off. Drain one quart via idling, add one quart, repeat x5. Really simple.

I think the A/T fear factor has been pumped up, but surely it has some sources. I think the main problem is too long/much idle/oil causing air suck-in as reservoir level drops too low: 1. Air bubbles do not match with hydraulics, 2. Foam may really get soot flowing, be it OLd or new oil. (Note: old oil also may foam, cause the fearsome dirt to float, especially if oil level gets too low. Or if u use u car...)