3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Max and 5 speed swap are almost done!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Alex_V

Max and 5 speed swap are almost done!

Ive had the car since march, and haven't been able to really work on it much. I did get the auto pulled 3 weeks ago and it was a stripped TC. I got it for $300, its a 90se with leather int, and all the basic stuff. oh its black too. Looks good but I liked charcoal better, probably because that was my first max's color.

Any way I got the parts car for $450 and sold a bunch of parts. Got the tranny out and into the 90se before this weekend.

This past weekend, I put in the drivers axle, tried the pass axle, changed the oil, rad fluid, wired up the tranny. All on saturday. Sunday I took the parts car to my aunts (in the middle of moving..) and worked on my good max more. Got the engine timed right (close any way), the pass axle wouldn't tread the nut on, so I had to cut the last few threads off. Then it threaded right on. I filled the tranny, put on the y pipe, and started it up and drove it around the block! 3 of the 6 studs that held the y pipe on broke when I took it off so only 1 held the back on and 2 on the front. So it wasnt driveable yet. My dad got 1 drilled and put a new nut and bolt in.

Now it wont start so I have to drain and fill the tank with good gas. Whats the best way to drain the tank? I have a full bottle of sea foam to add too.

Tomorrow Im getting plates for it so I'll be able to drive it! I cant wait. Im finaly going to have some real power, This is going to be awsome over my mx3. 1.6L 4cyl auto. No fun there....

~Alex

Old 10-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Alex_V

So no one can offer the best way to clean the tank or set the timing? My haynes manual got a tonn of ATF on it.

And for the tank I was wondering if that black round plug under the rear seat would let me acess the tank.

Im getting a timing light soon too so I should be set there, but I still might need help. finding TDC is a friggen pain...

~Alex

Old 10-19-2005, 12:01 PM
STFU n00b!

dood, finding TDC is cake. it's marked on the crank pulley.

to get to the tank, there's a light-tan colored plate under the rear seat. 4 screws holding it on with a blue wiring harness coming out of it. that's the cover for the pump.
pull that guy up and you'll see the top of the tank.
clean around that area with a brush and compressed air before you open the tank so you don't fill it with more crap.
once you get the tank open, there's no telling what you're going to find. I've seen anything from varnish to rust to nothing.

to drain it, best way is to simply disconnect the fuel lines going to the engine and run that to a storage tank for the old fuel. hotwire the pump with +12V so it runs all the time and pump it till the tank is dry. then fill it (from the regular filler tube) with >89 octane.. don't put any seafoam in it.. you want good clean gas at first. run that tank down and then when you fill up next time, dump the seafoam in it.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Alex_V

er i ment timing the motor right. I see TDC. but getting it on compression and then the timing right.. bah. any way it runs.

I pretty much figured thats what Id have to do.

I cant wait to it running! Then next month Ill start getting some money together to mod it! Ill grab some STB's ground kit, all that kinda stuff. First i have to get some gas into it though!

~Alex

Old 10-19-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Ive had the car since march, and haven't been able to really work on it much. I did get the auto pulled 3 weeks ago and it was a stripped TC. I got it for $300, its a 90se with leather int, and all the basic stuff. oh its black too. Looks good but I liked charcoal better, probably because that was my first max's color.

Any way I got the parts car for $450 and sold a bunch of parts. Got the tranny out and into the 90se before this weekend.

This past weekend, I put in the drivers axle, tried the pass axle, changed the oil, rad fluid, wired up the tranny. All on saturday. Sunday I took the parts car to my aunts (in the middle of moving..) and worked on my good max more. Got the engine timed right (close any way), the pass axle wouldn't tread the nut on, so I had to cut the last few threads off. Then it threaded right on. I filled the tranny, put on the y pipe, and started it up and drove it around the block! 3 of the 6 studs that held the y pipe on broke when I took it off so only 1 held the back on and 2 on the front. So it wasnt driveable yet. My dad got 1 drilled and put a new nut and bolt in.

Now it wont start so I have to drain and fill the tank with good gas. Whats the best way to drain the tank? I have a full bottle of sea foam to add too.

Tomorrow Im getting plates for it so I'll be able to drive it! I cant wait. Im finaly going to have some real power, This is going to be awsome over my mx3. 1.6L 4cyl auto. No fun there....

~Alex
i c u had lots of fun.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yo whats up guys i dunno if this has anything to do with the topic... sorry if it bothers anyone but i just bought a 90 maxima (yea its automatic its cool i dont care haha), but im not really good wtih cars thats why im here for some help, i wanted to put a cold air-intake into the car, would that give it a little more speed? and whats the price range on buying that for the year of my car.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Alex_V

yea we had a BLAST!!! man we go soo pissed. I think we would have killed each other (my buddy is on testosterone to help him grow, hes a little wired as of late....very funny though) but thank god the parts car was there to...uh....relieve us of some stress.

Any way now its timed to 17-18deg BTDC. runs good but the cat is plugged. Im going to gut it tomorrow and get another one in the next few weeks.

~Alex