3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

non driven VG running rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Alex_V

non driven VG running rough

I got the car and it had a blown auto tranny and hadnt been started in a about a year. And I let it set for another 6 months or so, while moving to a new house and doing a 5 speed swap.

I get the swap done and it doesnt start. So I replace spark plugs, wires, dis cap, and rotor, change oil and filter, new tranny fluid, and it ran very badly, and smelled terrible. so I cut a 2in x 4in x 2in U in the cat to gut it. (started this 10PM sunday so couldnt get new bolts, would have had to cut off. And my buddy said he could weld it that night or monday night. So I gut most of the cat (20% is left where the y pipe dumps into the cat, thinking of puching a hole in the middle...) and it runs. So I wrap the cat up so I can drive it.

I has a total of 1/2 a tank of gas. I got it with 1/8 of a tank of old gas (it would still fire up and run on it though...started it 3x before the 5 speed swap, always ran smooth) and dumped 1.5 gal out and added new gas up to the 1/2 mark. I drove it 40 miles on monday and tuesday, to home work and school. Yesterday after noon I stopped by my mazda in the old house's garage to get some stuff, and I went to start it and it poped once when i tried to start it and then just spun with the starter. I had to run some errands and go to work. I come back 2 hr later and it doesnt fire. I got to work and get some (4hr later at like 9 pm) and it fires right up.

It runs rought idle-4K and smooths out alot but not perfectly, and backfires alot. twice it I turned it off and started it a minuet later and both times the catilitic converter would catch on fire (guessing its dumping fuel) if I held the starter. But when I want to start it after a long time (like after school or work) its only a little harder to start then most cars. Timing is about 17BTDC.

I have a whole parts engine with 166K miles from my first max I can swap in. This engine has 187K and it runs VERY strong. I dont know how they compare in compression as the 166K engine has been sitting since febuary. Im thinking the 187K engine is just dirty because it turned the spark plugs black with soot. When it wouldnt fire in the garage the plugs were wet, but not at my buddys house and not at my garage. It also has the fuel filter from the 166K engine/car.

I really want my max back, as it was a total RUSH to drive the 2-3 days I drove it. I just dont under stand why it is such a pain to start when it would do over 100mph so easy. maybe I screwed up the IAC bc I put a little brake fluid to help start it. I donno Im really thinking of just driving the max to my buddies and starting the engine swap. If I have to swap injectors, sensors and all that Id probably be worth it.

Any way thanks in advace...I just want my baby back!!

~Alex

Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Alex_V

Also when down shifting it would hesitaite as well. Id mess with the throttle but I dont know if it did any thing. the plugs are gapped to about .42 I think. I was considering swapping the coil from my 166K engine bc I think its missing, but I was thinking its more likely that the combustion chamber is so dirty that its fouling the plugs. Oh the plugs did get soaked with gas but I dried them with a tourch.

If anyone has ideas LMK Thanks!!

~Alex

Old 10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Drain ALL that old gas out,Replace with new gas,take the fuel line loose before the fuel filter and purge the old gas out of the lines...Then go from there...that old gas is probably loaded with water....
Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Alex_V

I sort of did that. I added 2 or 3 containers of gas and that rasied it to the half full mark, but I forgot to drain the old gas. I did run the fuel pump after that to get all the gas out of the line, and I drained about 1.5gals. That and the fact theres something like 6-8 gals of good gas and that it fired up before doesnt worry me. too much. Then on top of that I drove 40 very hard miles so Id think that would mix up the gas and get the gas out of the injector rail. but its something to try...

Im more worried about the combustion camber being dirty and the condition of my plugs and how clean my injectors are. Im thinking of sending one of my sets of injectors to get cleaned.

Oh could I dump the gas in my mazda? It runs strong egnough and I need gas in it (and i have $10 and i get paid on friday..)

~Alex

Old 10-26-2005, 06:49 PM
mod or sell?

I'm thinking one of your injectors is dumping fuel big time
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My VG sat for a year (gas surely went bad) and had some very similar issues. It ended up being some combination of bad injectors and the fuel pressure regulator. not sure if the later was a real issue, but if you have a spare engine lying around it might be worth the time to swap.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Alex_V

I really dont want to swap the injectors but I will if I have too. I hate the intake on this engine....

I tried my other coil, and it did the same thing as the first one.

I pulled all the plugs and regapped them. 2 were .055+ and 2 or 3 were .039 or less, and the remaining 1 or 2 were close to .040. i regapped them all to .040. They were all very black with a lot of black carbon on them.

After that I put my borrowed timing light on the #1 cyl and it was running about 17-18deg, of timing, and it would flash consistantly for about 2-4 seconds then stumble for 1-2 seconds.

I was seriously concidering buying new/possibly hotter plugs becuase I was thinking the combustion camber might be too cold. Or wiring my extra coil in parallell with the one on the car now. Im great with wireing but I donno if it will help or not. I figured at least a 50% increse in spark (or so) might help out alot. But what would I need to wire it with? I saw that black box next to the low voltage connector and was wondering waht it was for. my coil off the 166K engine has that all melted, as it was damage in the accident.

What about it running rich? I was thinking maybe the o2 sensor was out. I have 2 I can try...just a little late now....man there needs to be more hours in the day....

I sill need to dig out my multimeter and ohm everything. and try my other maf.

Thanks for the sudgestion. Ill probably swap the injectors this weekend

~Alex

Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 AM

"...maybe I screwed up the IAC bc I put a little brake fluid to help start it..."

Brake fluid melts some plastics, definitely destroys rubber and fast. Where is that fluid now??

As said, Injectors. Maybe also TPS as u complain startup problems.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Alex_V

Yea I just need to try those other parts. Though I wont have egnough free time untill probably saturday morning before work. But I can probably try the TPS maf and O2 tonight. That should be the bulk of my problem. I may even have time to try the IAC but probably not.

Im really thinking its running rich, because the cat will some times burn the fuel and I can see the flames while turning the engin over.

If any one has a new catalic converter (or at least one that works with a reasonable amount of miles) PM me. Brian, Are they listed on your site? I need to check the loal picknpull too. But max's usually have no exast by the time I get to them...

~Alex

Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Im really thinking its running rich, because the cat will some times burn the fuel and I can see the flames while turning the engin over.

~Alex

This sounds like a bad injector/injectors....
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
This sounds like a bad injector/injectors....
+1 dont waste your time swaping all that crap none of it would make your cat catch fire just swap the injectors from the other car and it will all be fine
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 AM

i didnt think injectors were that hard to change. suck it up alex and swap em.