3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need some advice painting bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 PM

need some advice painting bumper

i bought some paint (charcol grey metallic) color, clear coat, and 400 grit sand paper from pepboys, my maxima paint color is charcol pearl, forgot the code. Anyways, any tips on how i should repaint the bumper? I know I should sand it down to where the orange color shows but, what else? I didn't buy primer, should i have done that? how many coats of paint and do i let each coat rest for a certain amount of time before i apply another? what about the clear coat? how many coats of that? sorry for all the newbie questions but this is gonna be my first time repainting the bumper. do you think charcol grey metallic is a close paint match to charcol pearl?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:57 PM

you're going to have to prime it and give it 2 or 3 clear coats. it's good you didn't buy the primer because you should probably get a primer meant for plastics.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:34 PM

You dont need a primer, but you should use a sealer.

Find a auto paint supplier in your area and see if the carry a sealer in a spray can. If not, you may use a epoxy primer so the paint will have something to stick to. 400 grit is fine.

Spray the color and be sure to let it "flash" before putting on another coat. Same with the clear.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sara92max

Spray the color and be sure to let it "flash" before putting on another coat. Same with the clear.
I'm looking to paint my bumper next spring, thanks for the info, but what do you mean by flash?? Is this what some paint maunf. refer to " allow paint to tack up before,,,," ?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:59 PM

"flash" refers to letting the paint dry for at least 5-10 minutes between coats, some recommends 2 minutes, but that is totally dependent on the temperature and humidity level. So 5-10 min should be the safest choice, at least it was for me. Take some pictures while you are at it please.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:57 PM

I just painted my bumper over the summer. It was cracking and peeling here and there. I went to a local auto parts store that also has a paint department. They matched color sample to the car and mixed up a batch. The paint guy said to mix the paint and hardner together and then spary. He also stated not to use clear coat because he said it would cause the paint to be too shiny, meaning it would be brighter looking than the rest of the car. I agree with what the paint guy said because
the paint looks and blends with rest of the car really good. So you might what to test on something before you paint the bumper. Try with paint and paint with clear coat and see which looks better. Just my 2 cents hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by maxima93gxe
I just painted my bumper over the summer. It was cracking and peeling here and there. I went to a local auto parts store that also has a paint department. They matched color sample to the car and mixed up a batch. The paint guy said to mix the paint and hardner together and then spary. He also stated not to use clear coat because he said it would cause the paint to be too shiny, meaning it would be brighter looking than the rest of the car. I agree with what the paint guy said because
the paint looks and blends with rest of the car really good. So you might what to test on something before you paint the bumper. Try with paint and paint with clear coat and see which looks better. Just my 2 cents hope this helps.

Well that depends on the type of paint you use. If you use single stage then no you dont use clear (you arent supposed to anyway). If you mixed hardener then you used SS paint (you mix base coat with reducer not hardener). BC/CC requires clear though because the base coat will be completely flat and it doesnt have any weather resistant chemicals and will be faded and ruined in no time.

As far as primer etc. First of all its a common misconception that primer is required to make paint stick. Generally primer is supposed to be used as a blender. When you do body work and need to blend it in you use a primer for that. There are other primers that are used for adhesion of fillers and paint as well such as Epoxy. Epoxy is usually used on bare metal to protect it and allow excelent adhesion of fillers and paint.

If you are painting a plastic bumper and are actually going to paint the bare plastic then you need to get an adhesion promoter for the plastic. Although the bumper is plastic if you are painting over existing paint you dont need adhesion promoter.

Since you have yellow spots that means the paint has worn thin in that area so here are the steps you should take.

clean, degrease, tack rag, spray adhesion promoter, spray primer on the yellow spots, sand the primer and blend it in with the rest of the paint until its at the same level, clean again, degrease again, sand the entire bumper with 600, clean and degrease once again, tack rag again and paint the entire bumper.

Good luck and remember a good paint job comes from cleanliness.

These tips are not hear say tips but actually what I would do (and have done when I have painted cars).
Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 AM

awsm66 when you say "clean and degrease" what products do you use??
Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Jbr8k
awsm66 when you say "clean and degrease" what products do you use??
Well first I wash the parts before any sanding with dawn. Then after its dry I use a good degreaser. I have used PPG, and another brand called Auto body supply (or something like that) and they both work great at removing oil or any other contaminants.

Also I forgot that you need to wipe the degreaser before it dries because if you don’t you will just re contaminant the area (and cause fish eyes in your paint...you dont want that).

all of this plus much more is covered in my post that is in the stickies.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
all of this plus much more is covered in my post that is in the stickies.

So where is that stickie??

Hood and bumper both need respray.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CyMax
So where is that stickie??

Hood and bumper both need respray.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...81&postcount=5