3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New Maxima owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:41 PM

Guys & Gals:
I am now the proud owner of a '89 Maxima SE (I think it is an SE, no badging anywhere) The car was purchased from my neighbor, the original owner. It was garage kept, one owner with 111k. Lots of new stuff and it seems to be well kept. I am a member of this list and would appreciate any maintenance sites or other related information. There are a few small problems with the car, I'll detail in subsequent posts.
I formerly owned a 1993 NX2000 (RIP, 16 yr. old daughter totaled)and belonged to the SR20DE.com group as well as the Mid-Atlantic SER Club of America. My NX had 206k on the clock when it was totaled and was in perfect condition. I do all of my own maintenance, including the tranny rebuild and clutch install. I just picked up a Haynes manual from Autozone to get me started. I had a Nissan FSM for my NX and recognize the Haynes manual will not be as thorough.
Thoughts or comments appreciated.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:39 PM

Welcome to Maxima.org!!!!

The Haynes will do you great for general maint. stuff.

Ways to tell if you have an SE:

White Guages
Spoiler (optional on GXE)
Wheels have slanted spokes (GXE rims have half-moon shapes)
Black trim around windows (GXE has chrome trim)
5-speed tranny. (GXE's were auto only on 3rd gens)

Make sure you visit the FAQ on www.maxima.org for general information, most of your basic questions can be answered there.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Old 06-03-2001, 08:18 PM

Welcome, you will love this place as much as your car
Old 06-04-2001, 08:00 AM

Yes Welcome......

Welcome to the site. Here you will find out heaps of information about the generation of Nissan Maxima you have now purchased. They are a great car and this site will help you in keeping it in good condition. If you need a questioned answered everyone here would be happy to help.
Is your car an Auto? Well if it is get it serviced or flushed. Also see if it has a tranny cooler. (A must for auto Maxima's). Service history or requires a good tune up or major service now! Again welcome and good luck with your Maxima....
Old 06-04-2001, 09:32 AM

Re: Yes Welcome......

Kit:
Help me out, should I reply above or below the response? I've been adding my reply above.
Thanks for the input. My car is an automatic, original owner had the tranny flushed last year. I doubt it has a cooler, particularly so if it is an add-on mod. I'll check it out.
Al Jones
Originally posted by KITT
Welcome to the site. Here you will find out heaps of information about the generation of Nissan Maxima you have now purchased. They are a great car and this site will help you in keeping it in good condition. If you need a questioned answered everyone here would be happy to help.
Is your car an Auto? Well if it is get it serviced or flushed. Also see if it has a tranny cooler. (A must for auto Maxima's). Service history or requires a good tune up or major service now! Again welcome and good luck with your Maxima....
Old 06-04-2001, 09:37 AM
OG and counting...

Re: Re: Yes Welcome......

Originally posted by ssjones
Kit:
Help me out, should I reply above or below the response? I've been adding my reply above.
Thanks for the input. My car is an automatic, original owner had the tranny flushed last year. I doubt it has a cooler, particularly so if it is an add-on mod. I'll check it out.
Al Jones
a) Welcome to the board. I am sure you will find plenty of information regarding items like suspension, engine work, and audio systems as well as lighting, etc.

b) I also notice you have another car I have always wanted (1996 Impala SS). Is it a BBB, DCM, or GGM? What mods did you have done to it? What issues have you faced with it since you have owned it?