3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Mechanical rapping

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005 | 02:22 PM

Mechanical rapping

Well, i got my injector fixed which was puttering and the car ran great for like 1 day, then i pulled the distributor to fix my timing problem reset it and am running 17 degrees timing max advance now... but right after i did that i started to notice a light and sporadic rap in what i thought was the topend.... it goes away with the slightest application of throttle above 2 k and isnt heard while driving and was sporadic at first now its getting more noticable every day. i did the old Screwdriver st3thoscope trick and it sounds like its coming directly from the waterpump (which is what i thought cause it goes away) maybe the bearings are shot?

my real question is why is it that me reseting timing would have anything to do with this or is this just dumb luck, cause the second i advanced it past 12 it started. i have a feeling imma be on a neverending trip to fix this car.
Old 12-05-2005 | 03:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Try a tank of premium gas....Since you advanced your timing,might be detonation you are hearing..
Old 12-05-2005 | 04:14 PM

i always run 93 ... plus why would it rap @17 degrees when 15 is stock? its right past the 4th notch from last. or maybe my timing light is ****ed and im running 30+ degrees
Old 12-05-2005 | 04:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Ford5.0forlife
or maybe my timing light is ****ed and im running 30+ degrees

Try setting it back a little then see if it still makes the noise...
Old 12-06-2005 | 12:12 PM

My 91 SE would make a similiar noise with a light throttle, say like cruising thru a parking lot. Like a slight rapping/tapping sound. When I brought it in to the dealer for a oil change I had them listen to it. The service manager told me it's my distributor making the noise. He knew right away what it was, I guess it was a common thing for the car.
Old 12-06-2005 | 06:06 PM

distributor making noise????!?.... but that WOULD explain it considering i had just pulled it out.. maybe the dirt that went on the gear did something. but did that solve your problem?
Old 12-07-2005 | 05:32 PM

distributor making noise????!?.... but that WOULD explain it considering i had just pulled it out.. maybe the dirt that went on the gear did something. but did that solve your problem?
I have not replaced the distributor. It still makes the noise, and doesn't seem to be gettin worse after about a year or so.
Old 12-08-2005 | 07:33 PM

ok well thats prolly not my problem then, lol i drive like 200 miles a day and the last week the noise went from sporadic/idle to constant/up to 3k..... hopefully the car will last until the next OVER 30degree day, cause then ill jack up remove wheel and wheelwell, then belts, then if the noise isnt there replace waterpump (sounds like where its coming from), or 2: if its still there, post in classifieds and forget i owned this car. ive owned this thing for less than 1 1/2 months and already ive replaced: injector and intake gasket, bose system needs a COMPLETE rewire, w/ only 1 working speaker, tranny is starting to whine, had to rewire foglights and replace climate control incandescent bulbs, .... oh and replace clock. **** even my mustang wasnt as bad! one thing ill say though is this cars pull on the highway in 5th would destroy my white 91 gt vert 5spd, but from a stop my jeep would eat it.
Old 12-08-2005 | 11:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmm...sounds like knock. Try retarding the timing, and make sure that it has been well maintained; good luck with that....but from a stop, I hope yourt jeep is souped, b/c I've never lost to one(at the track of course...).
Old 12-08-2005 | 11:52 PM

mechanical rapping it's a circular snap ring slapping against your o ring where the fuel is flowing your car probably sounds like it's mowing a lawn and barely putting along throw those rims in a pond what do you think you're james bond?
Old 12-11-2005 | 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
mechanical rapping it's a circular snap ring slapping against your o ring where the fuel is flowing your car probably sounds like it's mowing a lawn and barely putting along throw those rims in a pond what do you think you're james bond?

Can i get a translator please? something about snap rings and fuel making knocking?? whatever

the rims are off the car its snowing, and the car was purchased that way. i needed a reliable everyday car that i wasnt going to get another ticket in. i.e. i heard a singlecam max is reliable motor plus from where ive worked i see them go 200K+ miles easy, WHETHER IT BE GAUDY or not. plus im pretty sure for one of the cleanest 3rd gens in ct and under 100K miles what i paid for it isnt bad.
Old 12-11-2005 | 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
Hmmm...sounds like knock. Try retarding the timing, and make sure that it has been well maintained; good luck with that....but from a stop, I hope yourt jeep is souped, b/c I've never lost to one(at the track of course...).
one of the reasons i purchased the car is because i knew the owners, it was bought @ 90K miles no accidents, t-belt and w-pump done, tensioner and belts, clutch slave cylinder, tuneup and regular maintenance.

the timing only quites it a bit its still there, plus its advanced only to 15btdc which is stock. on monday its going in to shop, its to cold for me to give a **** about it here.

even without the rims i doubt the max would pass my jeep in the 1/4. my jeep is a slug, but im positive it can outhustle the max to at least 65. the max would walk it down without a doubt but not in time. ill pin em up against each other and post a vid. btw jeep's mods are in sig but its just as quick as stock because of age/abuse
Old 12-12-2005 | 03:50 AM

Can i get a translator please? something about snap rings and fuel making knocking?? whatever.
dude, it was my mechanical rap
Old 12-13-2005 | 12:40 PM

Anyway, not that anyone cares no more, but it turned out to be the waterpump was shot (with an amazing 27k miles on it!) just like i thought, i was going to replace it but wanted to check here first, while it was at teh shop i said the heck with it and replaced the belts/ tbelt again and thermo....

just wanna report that it running well now.... no wait i take that back.... for it to be running well that would mean fuel shouldnt be spraying all over the motor right? now imma have to pull the intake manifold again and replace rubber crossover line.. it couldnt of ****ed up WHILE i was replacing injector....

so far theres been 1.5k in repairs on this car and ive owned it for under 2 months... and it has been very well maintained