3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Simple no-start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I miss my VE

Simple no-start

I walked up to my car today, put the key in the lock, turned it, and only the driver side door unlocked when normally all of the doors unlock. I open the door and the factory alarm sounds, and of course it won't start even after the alarm's beeping stops. My guess is that the key is not disabeling the alarm when I unlock the doors, so the car doesn't wanna start. Gotta resolder the door locks or somethin? Everything was fine yesterday, but since it was pretty cold here the past few days (25-35 F) I figure the locks just froze up. I tried a genius experiment by spilling some hot water around the locks area to maybe wake them up a bit, no work. Where should I start in correcting this problem? Thanks alot.

Something interesting to note that when I pulled the horn fuse to shut her up, the high beams stop flashing and the "Security" warning light never comes on again. Seems like the whole Anti-theft system does not wanna respond without the horn available, except the car still doesn't wanna start, and I hear a stupid clicking sound coming from the fuse box.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
mod or sell?

start with checking the ring that goes around the lock cylinder inside the door
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
I miss my VE

Driver side, right? Is the ring suppose to be broken or something? What should I look out for?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:13 AM
mod or sell?

dang I thinkit's on the rod come to think of it.
**** I forget now
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I miss my VE

You want me to snap a pic of the rod and lock cylinder?

Does anybody else got any ideas on how I can maybe bypass this anti-theft alarm so I can start my car and maybe use it? Or just fix this problem all together?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
You want me to snap a pic of the rod and lock cylinder?

Does anybody else got any ideas on how I can maybe bypass this anti-theft alarm so I can start my car and maybe use it? Or just fix this problem all together?
You should get the alarm to shut off by opening the trunk with the key. Then try starting the car. The sensor in your driver's door that recognizes that you opened it has failed. I think Wiking has a drawing. Anytime your alarm goes off opening your driver's door just use the key on the trunk or the passenger door.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
I miss my VE

Man bhunter, I wish you responded sooner. Thanks anyway. Luckily I was fiddeling around earlier today and accidently noticed by opening the trunk you can trick the alarm and got her started. Thought I was the sh*t, until I read your post, heh

So it's really the driver side sensor? Where is it? Easy to replace/cheap? What to do?

Brian, I snapped some shots of the ring around the lock cylinder, maybe you can see something? I hope I got the right shots.

Heres a more clearer shot of the cylinder.

Everything looks okay down there. Except the rod feels kinda loose that connects to the cylinder with the pink plastic holding it. Same on the passenger side.

Quick shot of the passenger side lock cylinder, since I been having the problem Im having with the drivers side at the passenger side since I bought the car where it only opened itself and non of the other doors from the outside.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:11 PM
mod or sell?

I'd just unplug the alarm box.
actually I did on my old max.
do a quick search here or PM and you'll find it
Old 12-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I miss my VE

Yeah, I read the alarm system on our cars is pretty worthless, but disabeling it kinda feels incomplete if I want everything to work on the car the way it did when it was new. What would you recommend my next step to be to get everything workin right? I've read through the old threads of similar problems to mine, but Im still confused on what exactly is done to correct the problem.. Resoldering door timer? Taking out the lock cylinder and touching it in all the right places? Everyone seemed to come to the conclusion of just getting rid of the thing. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:40 PM

It's definitely the door unlock sensor(the black plastic thing around the lock cylinder). I had the same problem and replaced it with one from a 91. Only problem now is that whenever I unlock the driver's door, all the locks also unlock.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by es_amixam
Only problem now is that whenever I unlock the driver's door, all the locks also unlock.
Well isn't that suppose to happen? Ever since I bought the car one twist of the key unlocked all the doors. But if Im not mistaken, I read through the old threads that on 92-94 SE's you would need to turn it twice to get all the locks to open. Obviosly something was always wrong with mine, right?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:46 AM

With the old unlock sensor, I had to turn the key twice for all the locks to open. Even with the one I got now, it does it sometimes. The passenger side sensor still needs two turns to unlock all the doors.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 AM

It is common on a lot of cars that the key opening the passenger door unlocks all doors and turning the key twice in the driver's door unlocks all doors. The logic is that if you open the passenger door you're going to end up opening the driver's door next and if you open the driver's door first you don't necessarily want the other doors open.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by bhunter
It is common on a lot of cars that the key opening the passenger door unlocks all doors and turning the key twice in the driver's door unlocks all doors. The logic is that if you open the passenger door you're going to end up opening the driver's door next and if you open the driver's door first you don't necessarily want the other doors open.
So since the key would only open the passenger door with just one twist, and never open any of the other doors, Im guessing it needs one of those "door lock sensors" as well. Is this a dealer part? What are my options? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:44 AM

You can get it from a junkyard. Go to Craig Brace's page and read the how to for the door lock LED. It has the instructions for taking apart the door. If you can't find one, let me know. I have access to a parts car.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 AM

In my car I have to turn the key twice in both front doors to unlock all doors. 2c
Old 12-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
In my car I have to turn the key twice in both front doors to unlock all doors. 2c
I don't know if the maxima works like the others I mentioned or not. I don't know if the key double-pumping doesn't work whether that is caused by the door sensor or the door lock timer.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by es_amixam
You can get it from a junkyard. Go to Craig Brace's page and read the how to for the door lock LED. It has the instructions for taking apart the door. If you can't find one, let me know. I have access to a parts car.
Here? http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/ Can't seem to find it in the "how to" interior list. Am I missing something?

Also about the junkyard unit.. I don't know, since these things seem to crap out often, I might as well go for some new ones, instead of having to revisit this issue or a similar one a few thousand miles down the road or so.

Originally Posted by Tarzan
I thought that was a 92-94 SE option only, guess not.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:32 PM

Here's the exact link: http://www.geocities.com/cbmaxima/ma...oorhandle.html
Old 12-09-2005, 05:47 PM

this has happened to me thought it was something else

all my locks dont unlock any more from the driver side
and now my dimming light doesnt work any more

i could use some help too

Thanks
Kyle Cisneros
Old 12-09-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by fatboyslim86440
this has happened to me thought it was something else

all my locks dont unlock any more from the driver side
and now my dimming light doesnt work any more

i could use some help too

Thanks
Kyle Cisneros
You probably have the same problem as Joe with your locks. As far as the dimming light, I also had the same problem. Replaced the TCU(time control unit), which is a white plastic box located behind the panel under the instrument cluster. It goes on the same bracket as the alarm control unit.