3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Heater Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Heater Problem

I got a strange problem with my heater. Sometimes only cold air is coming out of all vents and sometimes only the two vents from the driver side will blow hot (/warm) air and the other two on the passenger side will blow cold air. When I set the vent to defrost window by pusing the defrost button then it definately blow hot air. I DO NOT GET ALL VENTS TO BLOW HOT AIR. Any of you have this problem before and how did you fix it?

Note: 1) I set the temparature setting to hot (all the way to the right). 2) My guess is the themostat valve is OK since I do get hot air from some vent outlets sometimes.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM

yeah, but i get warmer air just by hitting "mode" and then picking the speed.

i would check the antifreeze levels first (must have liquid running through engine to make warm air); and the vents ARE open, right?
and you ARE allowing the car time to warm up before driving?

its possible that you have an exhaust leak and instead of holding the warm air in and circulating it to you, its just leaking out, especially when youre not moving or driving slow.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

I'm sorry but 90% of your post really made absolutely no sense

Originally Posted by alextothestars
yeah, but i get warmer air just by hitting "mode" and then picking the speed.

i would check the antifreeze levels first (must have liquid running through engine to make warm air); and the vents ARE open, right?
and you ARE allowing the car time to warm up before driving?

its possible that you have an exhaust leak and instead of holding the warm air in and circulating it to you, its just leaking out, especially when youre not moving or driving slow.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:26 AM

Yes. Vents are opened. I do get air blown out of it only sometimes cold instead of hot as I wanted. The radiator water level is full. I drive the car for 20 minutes so the car is warm up. The templerature indicator shown correctly in the middle (noramlly when my car is warmup).
Old 12-07-2005, 12:30 PM

sorry, but theres a lot about maximas that do not make sense...

like why my air conditioner only works when i turn on the defrost button with the temp all the way down to 65...what is that?
yeah..im really gonna "defrost" my windshield in the 100 degree, 90% humidity weather of indiana...it should just work by turning on the mode and turning down the temp, but like our friend above, all that i get is warm air during the summer unless i use the defrost button...so i have the same problem with my car, technically, but instead of trying to get heat, im trying to get AC in my case.

but then again, i must be a liar because YOU havent experienced that before...

and if youve had an exhaust leak, like i have had, you'd have noticed that when stopped, youll get cold air and carbon monoxide fumes...and then when you get to driving again, the heat comes back and the smell is gone.

as for the gentleman with the problem, i havent tried to replace the digital climate control, which im guessing is the source for this since we are both having the same problem, but with opposite climates; theyre old cars, theyre bound to have problems like this...you can find them for 10-60 dollars on ebay. its worth a try
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

You have those problems because something is WRONG with your car. My heat works fine all the time. Even when I had an exhaust leak. Because the heat is coming from the warm heator core fluid. Which is from the radiator.

like why my air conditioner only works when i turn on the defrost button with the temp all the way down to 65...what is that?
yeah..im really gonna "defrost" my windshield in the 100 degree, 90% humidity weather of indiana...it should just work by turning on the mode and turning down the temp, but like our friend above, all that i get is warm air during the summer unless i use the defrost button...so i have the same problem with my car, technically, but instead of trying to get heat, im trying to get AC in my case.

and if youve had an exhaust leak, like i have had, you'd have noticed that when stopped, youll get cold air and carbon monoxide fumes...and then when you get to driving again, the heat comes back and the smell is gone.

as for the gentleman with the problem, i havent tried to replace the digital climate control, which im guessing is the source for this since we are both having the same problem, but with opposite climates; theyre old cars, theyre bound to have problems like this...you can find them for 10-60 dollars on ebay. its worth a try
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I usually wait until five (at the earliest) to start drinking. I doubt that his air vents blow cold air out when the engine is warm b/c of an exhaust leak....

I think that there is a plastic piece pre heater core that directs air either into or around the core depending on your heat settings. That might not be operating correctly (i.e. flapper might not close or open all of the way, only half way). Look under your dash on the passenger side and make sure that it moves freely and correctly. You will see little cables going to it. Good luck
Old 12-07-2005, 01:34 PM

I am such an idiot... The fresh air lever (far left ) is up and it does bring in some colder air. I flip it to down position and wamer air is blowing now. But that does not explain some vent blows hot while some blows cold air. I will check the flapper under the passinger side later when it stop snowing...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:56 PM
blackonblack

Sounds like a combination heater core/your vents are not attached propertly to the harness. Once I took the harness off and after putting it back together, I had a very similar problem. Had to take the harness apart again and attached the vents. If hot air blows throw your defrost vents, I'd take a shot at checking how well attached are the tubes to the harness.