3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VQ35 Swap Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
WTF!?!?!? is this I hear about someone selling a conversion kit?? THTAS MY ******* MARKET...oh theres gonna be hell to pay!!! : I am the originator, all imitations are irrelevant.... whos been giving out the mystery part numbers for the Stillen kit for last 2 years, ME, thats who!! anyone who steps foot in the conversion kit market will have their legs broken, garun-damn-tee!!!
..."Feeling...Nothing more than...Feelings"
Old 12-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
ok this thread has went apewire.
Ok Matt I hope you still have plans on trying to get a 3.5 into the 3rd gen. It would be great for the 3rd gen communtiy. As the fourth gen guys dont give us any credit for anything.

505max94se.......you want throttle responce. Buy a plain ticket and come drive the my turbo charged vg. then Go back home and figuer out how to turbo charge your car you would love my throttle responce.
I'm sure it has great throttle response once the turbo is spooled up....What happans if you step on it at 2k rpms....I like turbos too I just like NA more. I actually have Julio's manifolds sitting in my garage because I was going to build a VE-T. I really have no idea what I'm going to do.....maybe I'll turbo the VE, maybe I'll rebuild the VE for NA (nothing special), maybe I'll attempt a vq35 swap, or I might not do anyhting at all. I just like knowing all of my options.

If you guys would have read how this thread was created, you'd relize Matt isn't the one wanting to do this swap......It's me.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 505max94se
If you guys would have read how this thread was created, you'd relize Matt isn't the one wanting to do this swap......It's me.
Would have been easy to see that had Mr.Gone not edited Matt's initial thread to say "car go boom".
Old 12-20-2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by HTPerformance
Would have been easy to see that had Mr.Gone not edited Matt's initial thread to say "car go boom".
yeah good one MRGONE...
Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why? Stillen already has VQ conversion kits
an inside source told me Redlinemax will be running a sale on April 1st

you have to call and ask for Addae though
Old 12-20-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
I'm sure it has great throttle response once the turbo is spooled up....What happans if you step on it at 2k rpms....I like turbos too I just like NA more. I actually have Julio's manifolds sitting in my garage because I was going to build a VE-T. I really have no idea what I'm going to do.....maybe I'll turbo the VE, maybe I'll rebuild the VE for NA (nothing special), maybe I'll attempt a vq35 swap, or I might not do anyhting at all. I just like knowing all of my options.

whats going to happen at 2 grand. Im going to smoke you a$$ in your N/a motor. If you step on it at two grand just say in 5th gear you would go no where. ON the other hand I step on it at 2000rpms in the 5th im going to build about 3 to 4 psi and just keep building and then Im gone. Oh god dont try that with me at about 3000 I willl build about12psi instantly. What im trying to say is if your turbo is size right you will have great low rpm power as well as high rpms.. I can make 2psi as low as 1400rpmsm in 5th as if you would try that with a na motor is dam near goes to stall out.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone

I am glad that I bought your conversion kit when I did. $250 shipped for everything was a damn steal!!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Ok Matt I hope you still have plans on trying to get a 3.5 into the 3rd gen. It would be great for the 3rd gen communtiy. As the fourth gen guys dont give us any credit for anything.
What is it that you guys want credit for?

Originally Posted by Alex_V
But thats been done before and we love our third gens!

Plus theres the 6 speed with the VQ35. Hello reliability! Imagine it with headers, full exaust, heck maybe even cams, and a standalone....hello POWER!!

~Alex
All this talk about putting a VQ35 sounds fun and all but I doubt anyone's going to do it. It doesn't even sound like Matt has plans for it anyway. Even if Matt did do the swap it still wouldn't be doable for 99% of the people on this board. Most people here would have a hard time just doing a regular motor swap, I really doubt many have the resources to do custom motor mounts and deal with the tranny mounting and custom axles and figure out the ECU issues.

If I wanted to make big, reliable power out of a third gen I'd get a VG SE 5spd and turbo it. You can make just as much power as the VQ35 with a small amount of fabbing, and much less $$$. It's the best bang for the buck when it comes to third gens.

Now someone go prove me wrong and put a VQ35 in their third gen
Old 12-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

...sure is fun spending other people's money.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by MrGone

yeah, that Addae guy always gives great deals on the conversion kit
Old 12-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
However since I know Matt could do the fab work himself, no doubt he could pull off the swap. First thing is he doesn't need a Vq35 ecu or wire harness. The VE ecu could run that engine assuming the CAS on the VQ35 has the same output as on the VE.
Been there done that. We tried to use a 300zx ecu on my car (because OBDI's are so much easier to tune). Nada. Nissan uses a complicated type of signal on the VQ that everybody but JWT and maybe Greddy can crack and it has the cam sensor directly in front of the cam sprocket, while the VG/VE uses twin sensors (one on each head).

I also want to mention that if you guys are going to use the full 3.5L on your car, for god's sake get an entire parts car. It's easy to say you're going to stuff all that spagetti in a 3rd gen once the fabbing/fitting is done and it'll work. Not so easy. The 02's were the first to use Drive By Wire and have an immobilizer. That basically means you have to take the entire steering column components of a 02 and somehow fit them in your 3rd gen.

I would love to see a 3.5 3rd gen but truth is I think the swap would be easier using 4th gen wiring/ECU, If you can work out the fitting. Also I've heard the 6-speed swap was a nightmare for the (very) few 4th gen guys that have done it.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

300z VG = I don't belive it has seperate timing sensors on each head.
VE = uses one cam angle sensor on the front head to measure timing (it's adj btw). Has coil on plug like the VQ.

The two buldges you see on each front side of the heads are for VTC assemblies on both the VE and 300zVG

Originally Posted by JClaw
Been there done that. We tried to use a 300zx ecu on my car (because OBDI's are so much easier to tune). Nada. Nissan uses a complicated type of signal on the VQ that everybody but JWT and maybe Greddy can crack and it has the cam sensor directly in front of the cam sprocket, while the VG/VE uses twin sensors (one on each head).
Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 AM
STFU n00b!

yeah, what Jeffy said.

BUt... you can use an N/A Z32 ECU on the VE.. the computers are completely different between them, but the inputs and outputs are pin-for-pin identical, except for the addition of a 2nd O2 sensor and a fuel temp sensor for the VG...
doing that, you can basically plug & play with an Ash-Spec, JWT, or whatever ECU you want that will work on the VG. makes tuning the VE much easier, and since the VE shares a lot of internal parts with the VG, you can build them pretty stout to begin with.

the only drawback to using the VE is weight. the VQ is MUCH lighter because of the aluminum block (shaves about 100-120lb), but otherwise the VE honestly has more potential than the VQ30. the guts on the VE are interchangeable with the VG, so there's no reason it can't be built to 600+hp with the right tuning and build, but the fun part would be getting that to the ground.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:59 PM

yeah thats something I was thinking also. You could build the ve but the dam tranny will flunk out on you.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:06 PM

good luck with the wiring alone....... i am having a fun time as it is
and this is only a VG to a VE swap!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
wholey $hit good luck man. Youll get it
Old 12-24-2005, 03:22 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
at least you are doing it rather than talking about it!
Old 12-24-2005, 03:31 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
at least you are doing it rather than talking about it!

Too many punk kids come in here and talk their swap **** ..all **** talk...vans is actually doing it...I am not sure it will be successful...but at least he is doing it and not just running his mouth....
Old 12-24-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94

Too many punk kids come in here and talk their swap **** ..all **** talk...vans is actually doing it...I am not sure it will be successful...but at least he is doing it and not just running his mouth....
lol im trying guys.... as you can see it is a big *** mess.......i just want it to be over with and for it to run.......hopefully it will be sucessful... but if it is not i will be selling the car in some way and getting a VE5...... i have always wanted one of them....i will probably part the car out if it doesnt work..ill keep all the interior though since i turned it from all dirty tan to all black.....too many fun times in this car..thats why i dont wanna get rid of it.... but i want a VE5..LOL..hopefully it owkrs out well.. i hope! i will keep you guys updated with pics!!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
but otherwise the VE honestly has more potential than the VQ30. the guts on the VE are interchangeable with the VG, so there's no reason it can't be built to 600+hp with the right tuning and build, but the fun part would be getting that to the ground.
How many VE's put down 476WHP and 500+WTQ to the ground on stock internals? I'm not gonna sit here and act like every turbo VQ30 is putting out those numbers or that it could do so reliably, but the only main limitations at that point were the stock compression ratio, the stock ignition timing, and the head gasket. Not the strength of the internals necessarily. Every turbo VQ30 motor failure that i know of has either been because the motor wasn't healthy enough for boost to begin with, or tuning issues. I'm not saying the VE couldn't be a beast potentially, but saying the VE has more potential than the VQ is a bold statement and i haven't seen any evidence yet that would validate it.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
How many VE's put down 476WHP and 500+WTQ to the ground on stock internals? I'm not gonna sit here and act like every turbo VQ30 is putting out those numbers or that it could do so reliably, but the only main limitations at that point were the stock compression ratio, the stock ignition timing, and the head gasket. Not the strength of the internals necessarily. Every turbo VQ30 motor failure that i know of has either been because the motor wasn't healthy enough for boost to begin with, or tuning issues. I'm not saying the VE couldn't be a beast potentially, but saying the VE has more potential than the VQ is a bold statement and i haven't seen any evidence yet that would validate it.
I agree I want to know why it has more potential than the vq...
Old 12-25-2005, 12:33 PM

I agree I want to know why it has more potential than the vq...
plain and simple iron is stronger than aluminum so iron blocks are stronger and dont flex as much as aluminum blocks which means less stress on every bearing serface in the engine also you know aluminum blocks have iron cylinder sleaves. this is why the VQ has 4bolts mains and the VG and VE have 2, also mardi stripped one of his main studs when tourqing it down and that very likly wouldnt of happened if the VQ was an iron block. also the VE/VG block are closed deck the VQ it open deck this also pionts twoard the VE/VG engines being much stronger due to almost no chance of the sleaves flexing

those that dont know what i mean by open and closed deck heres pics look around where the piston goes

VG pic

VQ pic

the strenth of the stock internals is basicly equal except the VE has a source for cheaper ones since they can use stock or aftermarket VGTT rods and pistons wheres the VQ30 needs custom

the only advantage an aluminum block has is less weight
Old 12-25-2005, 12:58 PM

Actually Nismo Hal's highest dyno was 530whp/605wtq.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
plain and simple iron is stronger than aluminum so iron blocks are stronger and dont flex as much as aluminum blocks which means less stress on every bearing serface in the engine also you know aluminum blocks have iron cylinder sleaves. this is why the VQ has 4bolts mains and the VG and VE have 2, also mardi stripped one of his main studs when tourqing it down and that very likly wouldnt of happened if the VQ was an iron block. also the VE/VG block are closed deck the VQ it open deck this also pionts twoard the VE/VG engines being much stronger due to almost no chance of the sleaves flexing

those that dont know what i mean by open and closed deck heres pics look around where the piston goes

VG pic

VQ pic

the strenth of the stock internals is basicly equal except the VE has a source for cheaper ones since they can use stock or aftermarket VGTT rods and pistons wheres the VQ30 needs custom

the only advantage an aluminum block has is less weight
I already knew all that info. But it's still all theory so far. Some modern aluminum blocks > yesteryear's iron blocks. For example, the VQ35's block has been compared to the 2JZ-GTE's for it's strength. You'd think that's impossible. Using the iron vs. aluminum and closed-deck vs. open-deck argument isn't the "be-all end-all" anymore.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:21 PM

Actually Nismo Hal's highest dyno was 530whp/605wtq.
Weak POS aluminum blocked VQ's...

Old 12-25-2005, 01:21 PM

Yeah. The 6.4-second drag 350z is pushing 1800whp on a VQ35 block. And they used the stock crank until 1300whp I believe.

Real world data > everything else.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:23 PM

Yeah. The 6.4-second drag 350z is pushing 1800whp on a VQ35 block. And they used the stock crank until 1300whp I believe.

Real world data > everything else.

Some modern aluminum blocks > yesteryear's iron blocks.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

BUt... you can use an N/A Z32 ECU on the VE.. the computers are completely different between them, but the inputs and outputs are pin-for-pin identical, except for the addition of a 2nd O2 sensor and a fuel temp sensor for the VG...
doing that, you can basically plug & play with an Ash-Spec, JWT, or whatever ECU you want that will work on the VG. makes tuning the VE much easier, and since the VE shares a lot of internal parts with the VG, you can build them pretty stout to begin with.
Yeap. The only other thing I had to change to make the z32 NA Auto ECU work in my car was make it think I had a heated o2 sensor signal. That's all. It was very easy to pop the cover on the ECU and solder in a couple resistors and a jumper wire and pop it in and that's it. I still did have some idling issues with the z32 ECU in my car which I think was due to some issues with my IACV not liking the z32 ECU. I dunno. But the rpm would fluctuate a lot while trying to idle. And sometimes if you are on the gas driving agressively and suddenly let off the throttle, the car would stall. Had that happen to me once on the highway. Those are some bugs that I know could be worked out. And also, I didn't break any of my track records with this z32 ECU and the Zemulator most like b/c it wasn't tuned the best it could have been.

I decided to take that setup out of my car and concentrate on getting the ZEM to work with the VE ECU. Ash is just being slow as molasses with the R&D. He's busy doing other stuff I'm sure.

But if anybody out there desperately needs to be able to tune your turbo VE and are willing to deal with some idling and slight stalling issues, you can have Ash Powers' Zemulator working in your car with a z32 ECU. But the ZEM works just fine right now with the VG 3rd gen! That'll be easy to get working! Just some minor differences in the program like VTC release and stuff that won't pertain to the VG Maxima.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:55 PM
STFU n00b!

the VE/VG > VQ statement is simply based on the history of these engines.

the VG is a stout engine and has been pushing 1000+ hp when built for decades.

and don't even begin to bring in Hal's 450hp VQ in this. just exactly how long do those things last? years is not the right answer... anyone can use stock internals and put down 500hp for a few runs, then throw the engine away. the VE and VG will both do it very easily.

the VE uses basically the same bottom end as the VG30DETT (including con rods and bearings).. the crank girdle is exactly the same on them, and the only real differences are the lack of oil squirters and the crank differences on the snout to accept a timing chain setup instead of the belt on the VG. otherwise it's the same forged crank design and everything. and people like SGP racing build "streetable" VG30DETTs at 600+hp all day long.. they are pushing those numbers with built VQs as well, but the simple facts of the matter on those are:
1. the parts prices are outrageous
2. it won't (easily) work in a 3 gen
3. and the VQ has serious computer tuning issues because of the OBD-II. the VG/VE ECUs are well known and easy to modify, so that makes tuning a snap by a properly equipped and staffed shop.

thus it's easier to get more reliable power out of a VE for $xxx than it is for a VQ for $xxx in the 3 gen Maxima.

am I saying you should remove the VQ from a 4 or 5 gen or a 350Z? no. I'm saying it would be ludicrous to swap one into a 3 gen.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:23 AM

the VE/VG > VQ statement is simply based on the history of these engines.

the VG is a stout engine and has been pushing 1000+ hp when built for decades.
It's still all theory. You don't know for sure since no one has gone all out on a 3.0 before.

and don't even begin to bring in Hal's 450hp VQ in this. just exactly how long do those things last? years is not the right answer... anyone can use stock internals and put down 500hp for a few runs, then throw the engine away. the VE and VG will both do it very easily.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=44

Good reading indeed...

the VE uses basically the same bottom end as the VG30DETT (including con rods and bearings).. the crank girdle is exactly the same on them, and the only real differences are the lack of oil squirters and the crank differences on the snout to accept a timing chain setup instead of the belt on the VG. otherwise it's the same forged crank design and everything. and people like SGP racing build "streetable" VG30DETTs at 600+hp all day long.. they are pushing those numbers with built VQs as well, but the simple facts of the matter on those are:
1. the parts prices are outrageous
2. it won't (easily) work in a 3 gen
3. and the VQ has serious computer tuning issues because of the OBD-II. the VG/VE ECUs are well known and easy to modify, so that makes tuning a snap by a properly equipped and staffed shop.

thus it's easier to get more reliable power out of a VE for $xxx than it is for a VQ for $xxx in the 3 gen Maxima.

am I saying you should remove the VQ from a 4 or 5 gen or a 350Z? no. I'm saying it would be ludicrous to swap one into a 3 gen.
Point taken. I'll agree that it's not worth swapping it into a 3rd gen.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:11 AM
STFU n00b!

I consider none of Hal's setups to be everyday-daily-driver reliable. "it was still with me when I stopped beating on it" doesn't say that to me. sure he made "MANY" highway runs and several passes at the dragstrip, but that doesn't mean it's reliable and will last more than a couple of months being daily driven on stock internals.

you simply can't put out 600+hp at the crank for long on an engine that was designed for 200hp daily..

built vs built, there is no comparison, because then it becomes a money issue.
$ for $ though, the VE will easily give the VQ a run for the money because of the insane prices on parts for the VQ.
VE pistons, $500. VQ pistons are $1000.
rods for VE are $600. VQ rods are $1100.
and etc etc etc.

both great engines though and, and we can find fault in either and pick nits all day. truth be told, they are both good engines and can easily make enough power to blow up a nissan tranny at will.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 AM

I consider none of Hal's setups to be everyday-daily-driver reliable. "it was still with me when I stopped beating on it" doesn't say that to me. sure he made "MANY" highway runs and several passes at the dragstrip, but that doesn't mean it's reliable and will last more than a couple of months being daily driven on stock internals.
If you read his post it was the tranny that was giving him problems toward the end of his ownership of the car. That means the motor was fine. This was months after the 500+ HP dyno. There's no proof that his motor was compromised according to him.

you simply can't put out 600+hp at the crank for long on an engine that was designed for 200hp daily..
Still all theory. No one would think that the stock VQ35 block and crank were good for 1000+ HP either. Real-world date > * like JClaw said earlier.

built vs built, there is no comparison, because then it becomes a money issue.
$ for $ though, the VE will easily give the VQ a run for the money because of the insane prices on parts for the VQ.
VE pistons, $500. VQ pistons are $1000.
rods for VE are $600. VQ rods are $1100.
and etc etc etc.
Understood. But the VQ will make more power per PSI due to superior heads, superior cooling characteristics and/or knock supression, less reciprocating internal mass, less valvetrain losses, less power lost to internal friction, etc. You can't just make a blanket statement saying "this motor has more potential than the other". Each has it's pros and cons.

both great engines though and, and we can find fault in either and pick nits all day. truth be told, they are both good engines and can easily make enough power to blow up a nissan tranny at will.
Agreed.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 AM

Just because a head may flow better out of the box doesn't mean the other can't be improved to flow the same if not better. IMO the truth in that relies in working both heads and then doing flow bench comparisons. IMO a VQ doesn't have better knock supression than a VE, they both have pentroof chambers. I would think you could build a VE with lighter rotating parts for the same or less than what VQ ones would cost. You can put anti-friction coatings in any engine. You can micropolish cams and cranks from any engine. The only real advantage I see in the VQ is the weight savings.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 AM
STFU n00b!

Still all theory. No one would think that the stock VQ35 block and crank were good for 1000+ HP either. Real-world date > * like JClaw said earlier.
you're arguing the same point as me. I'm telling you real-world data of VGs putting out way more than VQs in daily-driven Zs, and you're still arguing with me.
how many G35s and 350Zs do you see out there putting down 11 sec (or less) 1/4 mile times on a daily driven engine that isn't rebuilt once a year. you see it all the time in the Z32. There's real-world stuff for you. not just one guy that had an engine still running after 6 months of blowing up trannies.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grace_Imports
Just because a head may flow better out of the box doesn't mean the other can't be improved to flow the same if not better. IMO the truth in that relies in working both heads and then doing flow bench comparisons.
The VQ's head could be improved upon as well.
IMO a VQ doesn't have better knock supression than a VE, they both have pentroof chambers.
That's the advantage of an open-deck design. Superior cooling around the CC, aka less chances of hot spots.
I would think you could build a VE with lighter rotating parts for the same or less than what VQ ones would cost. You can put anti-friction coatings in any engine. You can micropolish cams and cranks from any engine. The only real advantage I see in the VQ is the weight savings.
Those modifications don't come cheap by any means. Using the VQ you can use the money you save doing that and put it towards new rods and head bolts.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 AM

you're arguing the same point as me. I'm telling you real-world data of VGs putting out way more than VQs in daily-driven Zs, and you're still arguing with me.
how many G35s and 350Zs do you see out there putting down 11 sec (or less) 1/4 mile times on a daily driven engine that isn't rebuilt once a year. you see it all the time in the Z32. There's real-world stuff for you. not just one guy that had an engine still running after 6 months of blowing up trannies.
My point is you don't have sufficient info to validate your "the VE has more potential than the VQ" statement. To date, a VQ has made more power and torque with stock internals than any VE. This is all we can go by for now. Besides, you don't know what the VQ's potential is. The open deck vs. closed deck and iron vs. aluminum argument is all theory in this particular case. No one would think the stock 3.5 block could handle over 1000WHP, but it has. Like i said earlier, some modern aluminum blocks >= yesteryear's iron blocks.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=nismology]The VQ's head could be improved upon as well.

I didn't say that the VQ couldn't be improved upon. This is what I said...

Just because a head may flow better out of the box doesn't mean the other can't be improved to flow the same if not better. IMO the truth in that relies in working both heads and then doing flow bench comparisons.

IMO open deck is a weak spot and doesn't guarantee superior cooling. I don't know of the VG/VE family ever having cooling issues because of having a closed deck. The metal at the deck could be more of a heat sink. The biggest adavntage of open deck is that it is cheaper to mass produce. If there is any proven cooling advantage a VQ has with it's open deck, I would say it's negligible.

Getting shafts polished at a machine shop is inexpensive. Spending extra money to get something coated will probably not outweigh how much more expensive VQ parts are.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:46 PM

there is a lot of z31 guy making lots of power in the z on the vg30 too
Old 12-26-2005, 01:41 PM
I miss my VE

My point is you don't have sufficient info to validate your "the VE has more potential than the VQ" statement.
He actually does because, he did say it was cheaper. Your only going by theory, and looking at the more popular VQ putting out more power. I don't see the VE being used as the mascot engine at the top of this site.. In my opinion the only reason Nissan abandoned the VE was because they were too lazy to redesign their flawed design of the VTC issue. Most people don't have unlimited sums of money to throw away on their car, so the cheapest way serves the best potential with the data available to date.

This may not mean anything, but if my memory serves me correctly, the VE was a more expensive design at a time when things were cheaper. The VQ was made when Nissan was broke as a joke is what I read. So which design would you go for? Im assuming the more popular one?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:20 PM

I agree that the VTC issue left the VE a big black eye but I think the debate started as which could be built up to a high horse monster practically. A lot of VG30DE parts work in the VE and the VG30DE is cheaper to build than a VQ. I am not taking away from the merits of the VQ. There is a lot less interest in developing the VE than the VQ and I think it makes it harder to argue the VE as being a viable foundation to build up. If I was building a high RPM/HP VE, I would probably delete the VTC feature anyway. I think it could be done without great expense.

Quick Reply: VQ35 Swap Ideas