3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VQ35 Swap Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
He actually does because, he did say it was cheaper. Your only going by theory, and looking at the more popular VQ putting out more power. I don't see the VE being used as the mascot engine at the top of this site..
Forgive me, but i don't understand how the VQ being more popular pertains to this discussion. Furthermore, "it's cheaper" DOES NOT validate his statement.
In my opinion the only reason Nissan abandoned the VE was because they were too lazy to redesign their flawed design of the VTC issue. Most people don't have unlimited sums of money to throw away on their car, so the cheapest way serves the best potential with the data available to date.
1. As you stated, that's just your opinion.
2. Direct-acting valvetrain > rocker arms. VTC's or not...
3. There are many others things that set the VQ apart

Seems to me VQ's are doing just fine power-wise without any VTC's.
This may not mean anything, but if my memory serves me correctly, the VE was a more expensive design at a time when things were cheaper. The VQ was made when Nissan was broke as a joke is what I read. So which design would you go for? Im assuming the more popular one?
To me, the VQ is a superior powerplant, not just because it's newer or more popular. Add a VI to it and you make more power mod for mod. Simple as that.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:30 PM

This may not mean anything, but if my memory serves me correctly, the VE was a more expensive design at a time when things were cheaper. The VQ was made when Nissan was broke as a joke is what I read. So which design would you go for? Im assuming the more popular one?
This simply isn't true at all. The VQ was originally a race engine in the early 90's. It didn't come out of a need for cost-cutting, it came out of a need for more performance with a more efficient design. The europeen Cefiro is basically a carbon copy of the 4th generation maxima, and had 217 HP stock without the need for VTC's as early as late 1993 as a 1994 model.

I understand Matt's point about a built VE being the best option for a 3rd gen, and I 100% agree with that. But it does not take anything away from the VQ.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by nismology
Forgive me, but i don't understand how the VQ being more popular pertains to this discussion. Furthermore, "it's cheaper" DOES NOT validate his statement..
Sure it does. If it's more popular, where will(and have) the majority of people invest their money in? Nissan themselves have done so for many years. Just take a look at their line up. Where would the bigger hp numbers show? Obviosly on the VQ. What about the VE? I don't see many people trying it.

"Who cares about the old 90's VE, iron block sucks cause it's heavy."

You knowledgeable guys have been dissecting each engine for the past 2 pages, and still havn't got any technical hard evidance on which is superior, only the fact that the VQ is bit more efficient and popular and the VE is cheaper to build up. Wheres the technical hard evidance on what engine can push more power reliably? I would say there really isn't a winner here. I'd go with the cheaper rarer one. To me and Im sure many others, thats superior enough, especially when nobody proved a VE can't do what a VQ can.

2. Direct-acting valvetrain > rocker arms. VTC's or not....
Okay, then I can just come back and say Closed deck > Open deck.

"Open deck blocks are lighter, offer better cylinder temperature control, and because the cylinders don't warp when the head bolts are torqued, they are easier to bore perfectly round. The downside is they can be fragile when pushed far beyond their design limit. Excessive cylinder pressure can cause the bores to shift ,or in the worst case, crack."
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._atunersguide/

Now I wouldn't want that on something pushing far beyond it's design limit.

3. There are many others things that set the VQ apart
And that doesn't necessarily make it superior. Just different.

Seems to me VQ's are doing just fine power-wise without any VTC's..
And the VE still has a better top end. It's true, and you know it.

Add a VI to it and you make more power mod for mod. Simple as that.
VI? 6spd you mean?

Originally Posted by Grace_Imports
I agree that the VTC issue left the VE a big black eye but I think the debate started as which could be built up to a high horse monster practically. A lot of VG30DE parts work in the VE and the VG30DE is cheaper to build than a VQ. I am not taking away from the merits of the VQ. There is a lot less interest in developing the VE than the VQ and I think it makes it harder to argue the VE as being a viable foundation to build up. If I was building a high RPM/HP VE, I would probably delete the VTC feature anyway. I think it could be done without great expense.
Since a superior hasn't been decided, why not talk about which would hit the pockets harder? According to Matt, the VE is a cheaper monster to build. How is that not superior? Money is one of the biggest issues here. In my opinion, his original point has been proven. There seems to be a big difference between pricing, yet we're all in the market for the same reasons.

Originally Posted by JClaw
This simply isn't true at all. The VQ was originally a race engine in the early 90's. It didn't come out of a need for cost-cutting, it came out of a need for more performance with a more efficient design. The europeen Cefiro is basically a carbon copy of the 4th generation maxima, and had 217 HP stock without the need for VTC's as early as late 1993 as a 1994 model.

I understand Matt's point about a built VE being the best option for a 3rd gen, and I 100% agree with that. But it does not take anything away from the VQ.
And I totally agree with you.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:59 PM

"Open deck blocks are lighter, offer better cylinder temperature control, and because the cylinders don't warp when the head bolts are torqued, they are easier to bore perfectly round. The downside is they can be fragile when pushed far beyond their design limit. Excessive cylinder pressure can cause the bores to shift ,or in the worst case, crack."

Yes but the question is, where is the design limit? I brought up the 6-second 350z drag car, which is pushing 1800whp on the aluminum block. That is so much more power than you could put down in a FWD car, it's not even funny.

The VE has better top end than the USIM-equiped VQ30's. A Mevi'd, or DE-K VQ30 has even better top end. All VQ30's NOT coming with the 95-99 USIM are rated at 220 HP (give or take 2-3 ponies) stock, peaking at 6200-6400, and not falling off well beyond the 6500ish stock rev limiters, with one the flatest curves I've ever seen.

We could debate all day about the merits and downsides of Turboed, or supercharged VEs/VQs, but when we're talking about all-out Naturally Aspirated power, to me that is the single undebatable, irrefutable area where VQs have more potential. Production VQ's so far have all been geared towards all-out NA power with their emphasis on weight savings, reduced friction/losses, and lightweight internals.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Sure it does. If it's more popular, where will(and have) the majority of people invest their money in? Nissan themselves have done so for many years. Just take a look at their line up. Where would the bigger hp numbers show? Obviosly on the VQ. What about the VE? I don't see many people trying it.
I would think the reason people aren't trying to make big power on the VE is because low-mileage specimens are difficult to obtain. Correct me if i'm wrong.
You knowledgeable guys have been dissecting each engine for the past 2 pages, and still havn't got any technical hard evidance on which is superior, only the fact that the VQ is bit more efficient and popular and the VE is cheaper to build up. Wheres the technical hard evidance on what engine can push more power reliably? I would say there really isn't a winner here. I'd go with the cheaper rarer one. To me and Im sure many others, thats superior enough, especially when nobody proved a VE can't do what a VQ can.
You're right, there is no hard evidence. This confirms my point that there is nothing right now that proves that the VE has more potential than the VQ. Everything that i've heard so far is theory.

I read that article earlier today. Once again i'll bring up the 1800 HP open deck, aluminum stock block'd 350Z. Thank god for steel cylinder liners.
And that doesn't necessarily make it superior. Just different.
It makes it more efficient, in many ways.
I don't know whether you're referring to the heads or to high-RPM torque, but a VQ with a variable intake manifold wins on both counts.
VI? 6spd you mean? :scratch
I mean VI as in, Variable Intake manifold. And it's true, VQ's with a VI do put out more power mod for mod.
Since a superior hasn't been decided, why not talk about which would hit the pockets harder? According to Matt, the VE is a cheaper monster to build. How is that not superior? Money is one of the biggest issues here. In my opinion, his original point has been proven. There seems to be a big difference between pricing, yet we're all in the market for the same reasons.
Makes it cheaper to mod, not necessarily superior as far potential is concerned. I'll agree that it doesn't necessarily make dollar sense to try to retrofit a VQ into a 3rd gen, but i still haven't seen any irrefutable evidence that would suggest the VE > VQ as far as ANYTHING is concerned, let alone potential.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=nismology]I would think the reason people aren't trying to make big power on the VE is because low-mileage specimens are difficult to obtain. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Low mile JDM VEs are all over eBay for cheaper than what local yards want them for. I would even say that a JDM VE might be easier to source than a USDM VE. When I was looking for a core to build, yards were wanting $1K plus for a high mile VE.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:07 PM

i got my VE with 69k miles for $250
Old 12-26-2005, 07:22 PM

[
I read that article earlier today. Once again i'll bring up the 1800 HP open deck, aluminum stock block'd 350Z. Thank god for steel cylinder liners.

Do we know for a fact that the 1800hp block is indeed stock or does it have the assistance of a block girdle? Hooray for Nissan if their VQ35 block can take 1800HP out of the box. Everyone knows that open deck Honduh blocks shiver at the sight of high boost or spray if they don't have a block girdle in place.

Makes it cheaper to mod, not necessarily superior as far potential is concerned. I'll agree that it doesn't necessarily make dollar sense to try to retrofit a VQ into a 3rd gen, but i still haven't seen any irrefutable evidence that would suggest the VE > VQ as far as ANYTHING is concerned, let alone potential.[/QUOTE]

Well a lot of folks do take budget into consideration when they take on a project so cost is a major factor to most folks including myself. If a VE is cheaper to build than a VQ and one has $X amount to budget on the project, then that $X can potentially take the build further on the VE than on the VQ. That is a form of more potential.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Ford Only.

The good ole VE vs. VQ threads...
Old 12-28-2005, 06:54 PM
VE Powah!!!

What He Said!^^^^^^^^^^ Hahahah!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Wow thats a lot of ve vq info.