3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

!!!! need help, possible max for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 PM

!!!! need help, possible max for sale

ok so after i got the waterpump replaced (that was the rapping sound) i drove it home from the shop new tbelt thermo belts (even though they were all done). and start it up the next morning so smell fuel, the crossover line was pissing out... i finally got around to fixing that this weekend myself considering the intake was already off to fix the injector and im not bringing it in again.... torqued the intake properly hand tight first then 15ft lbs all the way around, triple checked all lines/ hoses, no leaks fired up fine. then it started making this fluttering noise at low engine speeds sounds like its coming from the a/c for christ sakes or throttle body area... any ideas what it could be? im at my witts end w/ this car its the most unreliable thing ive owned thus far... i has not gone 24 hours after repairing something without a COMPLETELY seperate part breaking. if i cannot fix this problem the car is up for sale to anyone interested.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:34 PM

how many miles are on the car??????? the person who had the car before you may not have done routene maintenence maybe?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Im izz sexay

Sounds like a good ole tune-up. Have you tried the rotary and distributor??

BTW any price in mind???? If you can wait a few weeks I'll take this headache off your hands Just toss me a pm.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Ok, here goes.... i got the car at 91K miles it got 95 now.... i know the previous 3 owners on it is part reason i purchased it, the first bought it off an auction (he owns car dealership next to my old job) then sold it to the guy whos been doing the work on the car ( he put the rims/tints/ exhaust on) its been maintained METICULOUSLY (sp?) with t-belt/tensioner/ waterpump all done at 67K, and the guy he sold it to had it sitting for like 5 years and put like 5K miles on it. i got it off of him. he replaced clutch slave cylinder, did a tune up, and when i got it the only thing wrong with it was the slight HINT of a putter which i was told was the #4 injector but it ran fine the wheel was hard to turn but it was loose belt... first thing i replaced was the clock, then the incandescent bulbs in the dash PITA!! rewired the foglights considering it was grounding out the parking system, it started with 2 working front speakers now only the driver rear works. then i decided to replace the injector, things started to **** up, the day after i replaced it i checked timing and set it back to stock (15btdc) as i did that a rapping occurred which turned out to be the water pump with only 27K miles. when it was brought in for that they did the tbelt again all the belts and the thermostat. car ran fine for 5 hours until i started it up and smelled fuel... the crossover line was literally pissing everywhere, i finally got around to fixing it this weekend and today i fired it up it ran fine for about 5 miles then started making fluttering noise at low engine speeds and using my s***hescope method sounds like its coming from the a/c?!! cause i know i installed everything right... i dunno what it is... oh and the brakes started grinding in the last 2 hours and the tranny is whining a bit.... every time i fix something something else completely different ****s up...

oh and btw .... looking at the "track record" of this forum most of the problems i was able to deduce from reading other threads so its not like this car isnt maintained (assuming most of the members here maintain their cars that is) most of it seems to be inherent to these model years. But then again i bought this car to be reliable and it just hasn't worked out for me and this is the best place to ask for assistance/ try to find it a better home
Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Im izz sexay

If I were you I would probably park the car and get all the kinks out first. Which brakes are grinding. But that is wear and tear and an easy fix assuming just rotors and pads.

Tranny Whine Click Here

Are you sure you sat the injectors firmliy into the O-rings (that are properly lubed)?

Do you think any fluid hit your alternator or belts by any chance??

I will be interested in buying your car in a few weeks.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:49 PM

the injectors where done by a mechanic that i trust i was too lazy to do it in the cold, i removed the intake a 2nd time personally to fix the crossover line that developed crack cause i was sick of the fees, the brakes are fine, i noticed a slight grind in the morning first initially stopping... when i removed the rims and put the stockers back on i inspected pads and there is more than 60% left on all 4 so if there were anything to worry about it would be warped rotor (but that wouldnt go away after the first 2 stops) or seizing caliper which i doubt..

fluid is unlikely the only thing that leaked out was the little bit of fuel in the passenger side crossover line upon dissassembly. I will be driving it tommorrow ( i put over 200 miles a day on it occassionally. Sometimes going to enfield and back. so ill let you know if it goes away)

imma check the fluid level tommorrow morning, i already did once when i bought it and it was fine. it also has no oil leaks on bottom, valve covers have a little of the black grime but no leaks. the trans looks to be slightly discolored on the bottom (signs of leak Starting to form), but its also 15 years old.

The whine i was told was always there in 2nd gear (very slight, only heard with radio off and windows up, but im being meticulous about this car) even from the time 3 owners ago but never got louder, and it never has. but now all the gears seem to have whining and pedal in or out doesnt make a difference.

i will be willing to go so far as do the brakes (if it persists) and change manual trans fluid w/ synthetic before selling. im looking for 2600 firm.... it is very clean there is bra on the front now because of salt and crap on the road.. and that is without rims.. 3400 with rims + tires and spares.. i bought it for 2.5K but have put well over 1.5K in the car already have all reciepts...

oh and p.s. the rotor was replaced when i took out the distributor and reset timing (it made a difference the old one was shot)
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 PM
mod or sell?

my thoughts:
1. the car sat for 5 years and somehow managed to get 5k put on it in those 5 years which is a sign of severe use as defined by most manufacturers. when a car doesn't get driven things fail from lack of use, rubber hoses harden for example, brake fluid absorbs water which causes rusting of the lines. not sure off the top of my head what fluid is used for the clutch but I'm fairly sure it's hydroscopic too
2. when you replaced the injector did you replace the o'rings too? did you put in a new , rebuilt , or used one?
3. when things sit, things go to ****
Old 12-19-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
my thoughts:
1. the car sat for 5 years and somehow managed to get 5k put on it in those 5 years which is a sign of severe use as defined by most manufacturers. when a car doesn't get driven things fail from lack of use, rubber hoses harden for example, brake fluid absorbs water which causes rusting of the lines. not sure off the top of my head what fluid is used for the clutch but I'm fairly sure it's hydroscopic too
2. when you replaced the injector did you replace the o'rings too? did you put in a new , rebuilt , or used one?
3. when things sit, things go to ****

1. the car was driven, but more along the lines of sitting cause of the mileage put on.... there is no rust on lines...

2. the o-rings arent leaking LOL. The NEW injector (I got from you) was the only o-ring replace.

3. not so true.... the car i sold to get this max was a 1991 ford mustang gt convertible was hit in massachussets in late 2001 before being transferred to here. it was bought off junkyard and fixed then when the guy found out he couldnt register it, it sat.... unshielded from elements... in a BACKYARD nonetheless (grass = teh suxor) and that car didnt have that much rust on the undercarraige/lines. wasnt started in 5 years. If i didnt find it, it woulda sat another half decade. i had less problems with that than this car.. and it was 81 k miles. i replaced alot of things but most of it was to pass composite inspection. only really went through a radiator and alternator.

on the other hand my jeep in the background of my sig sat for 10 years driven less than 1K per year got it at 26K miles in 99 and the only things that go wrong are from my abuse...
Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Btw the fluttering noise was the timing belt tensioner to all those with the same problem. (which was replaced 27K miles ago as well... meaning that and the water pump used were pieces of crap) it prolly went bad when they did the waterpump/tbelt and disturbed it.