3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5spd swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM

5spd swap

I am contemplating purchasing a ve auto. how hard would it be to do a manual swap??? would it be worth it??? jus need input gurus
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

How hard it is depends on your experience and the right tools....A donor car makes the job go smoother...

But seriously if you are going to do this,donate so you can search for the info without starting 20 new threads every time you hit a snag....

Pics of the project are nice too.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
mod or sell?

don't swap it, just give me the car and I'll find you a VE5.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wouldn't do it again. Waste of time and money.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

Interesting statement. 1st negative comment I've read of someone that's actually performed the swap. Elaborate?

Originally Posted by todamax
I wouldn't do it again. Waste of time and money.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM

sell internetautomar your car and buy his VE5
Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
sell internetautomar your car and buy his VE5
I already sold my VE5
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 PM

.....then you can go out to da west coast and buy Mr. Gone's maxima
Old 12-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Interesting statement. 1st negative comment I've read of someone that's actually performed the swap. Elaborate?
Don't get me wrong, I love my car. But it was a dumb thing to do. I could have modded the hell out of the handling and been just as happy.

1) Expensive if done 'right' (parts alone).

Let me explain. I used a donor car, new clutch/flywheel/hydraulics and short shifter. It cost me about $2K by the time it was over. That is about 50% of the car's value that actually DECREASED its overall worth.

2) Even a Maxima with a VE isn't fast. Yes they are 'quick', but its not fast.

Even modded, but not stripped of the creature comforts its not fast. Its heavy and the weight ratio isn't very good. Any handling mods reduce overall driveability and weight reduction increases ill road noise and aesthetics. The driveability of the Fidanza/ACT is obnoxious.

3) Resale, ANY 3rd gen just isn't worth much anymore and no one wants a 5-speed, let alone one that might have 'issues'.

Most normal people are not interested in shifting a 4 door car. 5-speeds are woth less than a slushbox for a reason. Then add the fact that its a swap? No one wants the car. Even an enthusiast will be wary.

4) Its FWD.

I know its hard to believe, but yeah, it is. Its not all that fun. Its easy to understeer the **** out of it. How about torque steer? Not fun...

I don't know why my sig isn't showing up, but my car is a very low mileage very completely modded car. Here is a pic. I'll do more with it, but only because I'm so far in the hole that it would be crazy to not keep going.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
don't swap it, just give me the car and I'll find you a VE5.
Well when the time comes I will keep you in mind buddy
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 AM

Even modded, but not stripped of the creature comforts its not fast. Its heavy and the weight ratio isn't very good. Any handling mods reduce overall driveability and weight reduction increases ill road noise and aesthetics. The driveability of the Fidanza/ACT is obnoxious.

3) Resale, ANY 3rd gen just isn't worth much anymore and no one wants a 5-speed, let alone one that might have 'issues'.

Most normal people are not interested in shifting a 4 door car. 5-speeds are woth less than a slushbox for a reason. Then add the fact that its a swap? No one wants the car. Even an enthusiast will be wary.

4) Its FWD.

I know its hard to believe, but yeah, it is. Its not all that fun. Its easy to understeer the **** out of it. How about torque steer? Not fun...

I don't know why my sig isn't showing up, but my car is a very low mileage very completely modded car. Here is a

I'll do more with it, but only because I'm so far in the hole that it would be crazy to not keep going.
Fixed the pic....

I just enjoy my VE for what it is: A car that was slightly ahead of its time that can still offer good performance and great looks. If I wanted a fast car, I would have bought a GTO (like you did ) As for understeer and torque steer, I don't have those problems?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:59 AM

todamax, your car is nice. the paint is very well taken care of. i know if i were to ever get another max it would be 5spd, i wouldnt want to swap one over....
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I already sold my VE5
So Im guessing the 5spd lessons didn't go all that well?

Don't get me wrong, I love my car. But it was a dumb thing to do. I could have modded the hell out of the handling and been just as happy.
Many sedans you can name me that could do better back when this car was new, not to mention for many years to come?

1) Expensive if done 'right' (parts alone).

Let me explain. I used a donor car, new clutch/flywheel/hydraulics and short shifter. It cost me about $2K by the time it was over. That is about 50% of the car's value that actually DECREASED its overall worth.
Who cares about what the cars value is when your putting that much work into it?

Car & Driver - 11/91
1992 Nissan Maxima SE
0-60mph: 6.7 sec
1/4 mile: 15.3 sec
http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm#Stock

If you don't call that fast for a car with 190hp and 4 doors, I give up... Many sedans in class back then you knew that could do that? SHO, and uumm? I wonder what happens to those numbers when you mod it. And how can you call it heavy? It's 3150lbs for the 5spd VE.. Thats lighter than most modern japanese sports cars if not all.

Most normal people are not interested in shifting a 4 door car.
Im sure people never wanted to shift an M5, Evo, or WRX either.

4) Its FWD.

Whats wrong with FWD? Why cause it doesn't wanna fish tail? Check out what Mini's can do at AutoX.

Edit: It's not like were looking for 500hp monsters from these cars. FWD is good enough in my opinion.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
So Im guessing the 5spd lessons didn't go all that well?
never got that far. the car was sold while it still had damage