3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5 studs broke off my wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:26 PM

5 studs broke off my wheel...

so i thought my y-pipe needed tightened up because i felt this banging on the floorboard of the car, similar to a flat tire, but my tires were not flat...

so a durango cut me off in a parking lot and i raced him to the light (i was on my way to have the exhaust tightened up FINALLY!) and the banging got REALLY bad.

so NOW im stopped at this red light (beat the guy to it, of course) and it turns green...but when i try to go...nothing...just terrible, AWFUL sounds and banging

i signal to him to go around me...and i get out, and sure enough, the front passenger side tire is laying agains the strut, holding the front end of the car, on that side, up.

ALL 5 studs broke off because wal-mart didnt alert to me that one of the studs was bent...and im guessing they went ahead and put my tire on anyway and forced the lugnut on...

i thought i needed new rotors, but i guess i was wrong.
car has been towed and the studs are being drilled out and replaced as we speak.

has anyone had this problem before or did a previous owner (most likely the pakistani guy i bought it from...that put the spark plugs in with the cardboard still around the gaps...) **** up the car?

oh well, at least my car wont shake when im downshifting from 60 mph, which is why i thought "warped rotors".
the guys fixing it all for 70 bucks. thats pretty reasonable because the dealership wanted 200...my dad told them their out of their mind (and mentioned that he used to be an airplane mechanic in the process)..hahah.

i also noticed that my front struts/shocks have been haggard-rigged to keep them from popping...there are little orange pieces of plastic being used as spacers...ill show you guys a pic when i get the car back.

anyone know what that ****s about as well?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 PM

I have had 2 and almost 3 of them break on one wheel and I had to drive it like a mile home and so I know how awful that sound coming from the wheel is. Replacing them isn't too bad...I think I am going to have to do a couple again because somehow they got stripped, but it's not too bad to replace them
Old 12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's all that horse powah you gots breakin' the studs

Seriously though all 5? That's nuts. Someone did something wayyyy out of whack
Old 12-21-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay, you have about 3 seconds to delete that racist **** before I ban your **** from this board forever.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:55 PM

that stud has been like that since i bought the car; i didnt think id ever need to drill it out, although i know now that is probably a good idea to do so...i know now not to let people use power tools to torque my tires on...especially when those tools have stripped my threads in the first place.

the real irony is that the bent stud was the last to break (probably because it was so bent and that, oddly, created more strenght/resistance)...and i was able to scrap it since it was laying on the ground when it finally came off...ill keep it with the old exhaust manifolds and the rubber gas overflow hose as a momento...ahahah

AND the water pump thats going out
Old 12-21-2005, 03:05 PM

in all your rambling i found your problem....

wal-mart
Old 12-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ i agree, but how do you know that the stud was bent? i dont think that one bent stud would cause the other 4 to break off, unless they were majorly over torqued but even then all 5? did all the studs break off or did some just bend?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM

ok, not bent, but the nut was on crooked because the threads were fuvked.

they all broke off clean.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM

well then my guess would be that they were all over torqued(mine are over by 15lb/ft average, darn airtools) but all 5 at one time seems highly improbable, did wally-world have anything to say about it? i'd check the torques on the other wheels now to just to see.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM

i took my car to them last september and had the two front tires patched (they found several pins and needles in them...i had slow leaks);

the next day, my new rims came in and i put them on.

all the other three tires went off/on fine; on the one that came off today, the lugnut would not come off...so yes...overtorqued would definitely be the culprit; i had a h*ll of a time getting my new rim on there because of that one stud...the last one to break off today.

as i said before, i know now that if the thread is screwed up, just to drill it out and replace it...or suffer the consequences of having a front tire break off at an intersection...

i figured my rotors were warped, so i didnt say anything to them; the thread had been bad before, but after they worked on my tires...the nut wouldnt come off...so they ****ed it up by trying to help me out of ignorance.

could have been on us40 or i-70 doing 90....
Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM

i would say that they lugnut wouldnt go on all of the way and created just enough difference to cause the wheel to cause some bad alignment...and over time, since i drive hardcore most of the time and sometimes drift around 90 degree bends at 40 mph...the wheel pulled on the studs..probably broke one...and that then created a huge difference in the hold of the tire...and one by one probably started to break off...the ****ty one staying on til the end because of how tight it was on from the bad threads

i had tightened them by hand and i dont like to put them on too strong because i hate having to go through hell to get them back off.

i may put my old rims on just to see how well it accelerates with the smaller tires when it is fixed tomorrow; v-treads suck in 6 inches of snow, as i have found out.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:17 PM

get a torque wrench and do them to spec.....
Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

damn, I guess you beat me by 2 broken studs..here's my thread with pics check it out if you like. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=444219
Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
in all your rambling i found your problem....

wal-mart

actually if think about it, what type of people work at wal-mart? i'm sure there's some decent traileryard mechanics working there..
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 PM

wheels back on; i tightened up my exhaust

shes running like a beauty again

now to find out why my coolant is overflowing from the coolant tank...
Old 12-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Alex_V

My 5 speed parts car stripped 4 lugnuts and broke 1 stud doing 65mph in the slow lane at night. My front right wheel came off, and passed me and hit the center wall. Im glad no one ran over the tire....that would have been very bad. I didnt put on those tires, previous owner did, he must have over tourqed every bolt. I drove that car 4 more miles, parked to next to my garage, then a month later it went in my garage and donated its 5 speed to my DD. oh and there were 2 bolts holding the tranny on (other then those 90deg brakets), and 1 tranny mount. The other one was there, but not bolted to the frame. Good stuff.

~Alex

Old 12-25-2005, 05:39 PM

a couple of comments...

1) If my car vibrated from a downshift, rotors are not the 1st thing I would think of. I assume you are aware they would only cause a pulsing during braking, right?

2) Racing another car to a light because they cut you off is not high on the "smart things to do" list. Other than instances of road rage that would result in you getting beat down, you also said your car has a leaking waterpump. And Exhaust. And the impossible 5 broken wheel studs at once. Maybe you should stop beating the **** out of your SLOW car. It will be cheaper to own and last longer.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:44 PM
STFU n00b!

Fawking Hautians. I hated that town. been gone from there 8 years and have never looked back.. stupid drivers everywhere.

go throw a yelling, screaming fit at wal-mart for FUBARing your wheel studs and make them pay for the repairs.