3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Swaping Engines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:54 PM

Swaping Engines.

i am soon about to start on a motor swap. my current motor is the VE with the auto. the motor i bought from a former member from here. had a VE5. what are some differances between the 2 motors. i have already took off the intake manifold on the newer motor and later will be swaping that from my auto motor. this there any other thing i can do to that motor to make this swap faster and easier? also i wanted to know some good easy methods of getting out the motor and putting it back in. ive also tried and strated labeling some wires on my current motor to avoide that which wire/ connector goes where. and some vacume lines. thank you for the help. i appologize for wasting ur time if there is a thread like this already. any help is good.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Way out West

There is a thread in the stickies about doing a JDM engine swap (do a little digging). All of the information is in there about most of the do's and don'ts and there are lots of helpful things.

Are you just swapping the engine, or are you putting in a 5-speed tranny, too? I couldn't really tell from your post.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Im izz sexay

Nothing is different. They are the same exact motor. The only thing I am not sure on is if the VE auto had a variable intake or not. But yeah they're the same.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
There is a thread in the stickies about doing a JDM engine swap (do a little digging). All of the information is in there about most of the do's and don'ts and there are lots of helpful things.

Are you just swapping the engine, or are you putting in a 5-speed tranny, too? I couldn't really tell from your post.
From the looks of it he is doing a US engine. He bought the engine from an orger.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by VD Providah
Nothing is different. They are the same exact motor. The only thing I am not sure on is if the VE auto had a variable intake or not. But yeah they're the same.
The auto doesnt have the variable intake. The manual motor has a pilot bushing on the end of the crank where the transmission mounts and the auto has something similar but not exactly the same. Not sure if that is required or not though but dont think it is since I am pretty sure the torque converter doesnt ride on it.

I am doing a swap now as well except the other way around (ve auto into a VE5.)...I could be finished next week but figure while the motor is out and apart (doing KS, VTCs etc.) I will do some painting on parts etc.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:26 PM

yea thanks guys. yea i did know about the VE swaping thread in the stickes. i eaither didnt read it rite or i 4get. i was still a little confused so i just made this thread to clearify. yeas for rite now i am just swaping the motor. and i already have the intake manifold off the new motor the whole plenum thing. just waiting for the auto to come out of the car thats currently in there. yea and my VE auto is all stock. all most all of my car is stock cept some stero stuff.

again thanks for the help. ohh any small stuff i should replace while the motor is out?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by SouthStar019
yea thanks guys. yea i did know about the VE swaping thread in the stickes. i eaither didnt read it rite or i 4get. i was still a little confused so i just made this thread to clearify. yeas for rite now i am just swaping the motor. and i already have the intake manifold off the new motor the whole plenum thing. just waiting for the auto to come out of the car thats currently in there. yea and my VE auto is all stock. all most all of my car is stock cept some stero stuff.

again thanks for the help. ohh any small stuff i should replace while the motor is out?
Yeah...its going to add up to a few hundred but its worth it while the motor is out.

1. Knock sensor and harness
2. exhaust studs
3. rear main seal for sure and front as well (althogh the front can be done any time)
4. if the rear valve cover is leaking it would be a good time to replace that.
5. the transmission seal if the auto has one (I havent looked on mine to see if it has one but I assume it does
6. if the oil pan is leaking it would be a good time to do that...I did it anyway on my last motor when it was out.
7. all vacuum lines
8. all fuel lines...replace with fuel injection line and not regular fuel line.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Way out West

^^^

These are the types of things I was referring to. I knew that you weren't getting a JDM engine. The JDM engine is basically the same, but all the information is in that thread for putting a VE engine in and the things you should do during that process.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 PM

the motor is rebuilt only has 11K on it after the rebuild. he said he never had problems with any thing else. i have the exhaust manifolds already off on the new motor. most of the studs just came rite off. i dunno if thats is a good sign or not. and i dont know about the rear main seal or the tranny seal.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:40 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

the motor is rebuilt only has 11K on it after the rebuild. he said he never had problems with any thing else. i have the exhaust manifolds already off on the new motor. most of the studs just came rite off. i dunno if thats is a good sign or not. and i dont know about the rear main seal or the tranny seal.

you mean the nuts came off or the entire stud? If it was rebuilt then he probably put new studs in...seals as well but for the cost of a new rear main seal (not but a couple bucks) I would do it anyway since its a huge pain to do later if it goes out.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM

some the entire stud and some just the nut.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:36 PM

some the entire stud and some just the nut.
take out the broken studs out of the head(s) and replace with new exhaust studs. if not ur gonna have an annoyin' exhaust leak and loose some HP on the motor as well. like everyone said on here change the obvious: vacuum lines, fuel lines, front and rear main seals, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, etc. when u take out the broken studs replace them with the new ones from the dealer, don't buy them at ur local auto parts store.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

I have both a VE5 intake manifold with the varible intake and a stock VE5sp ecu. I could be persuaded to sell both for a price

Originally Posted by awsm66
The auto doesnt have the variable intake. The manual motor has a pilot bushing on the end of the crank where the transmission mounts and the auto has something similar but not exactly the same. Not sure if that is required or not though but dont think it is since I am pretty sure the torque converter doesnt ride on it.

I am doing a swap now as well except the other way around (ve auto into a VE5.)...I could be finished next week but figure while the motor is out and apart (doing KS, VTCs etc.) I will do some painting on parts etc.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:58 PM

jeffyy i have the VE5 Intake manifold sitting on my tool box rite now and for the VE5 ECU well then i need a new 5sp tranny and that cost some money which currently i dont have.

and for the studs pritty sure the whole stud came off becuase when i looked in the hole it was in it there was nuthing in there. but yea ill try to grab some new studs from nissan. ok now i juse need to find some one around me who works for them. haha.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:37 PM

any one know what size vacuume and fuel lines i should get?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:19 PM
mod or sell?

5/16 fuel injection line
Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 PM

how long are they supposed to be?