3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

92 Maxima Bose

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:19 PM

92 Maxima Bose

So, I have the Bose system in my car.. all the speakers are blown, but before they blew, I loved the sound I got from them. Can I rebuild them? (I think it's the amps that are blown, and not the speakers?)

I have a new headunit I want to put in, but I understand I need some sort of converter to use a new HU with the bose speaker system?

So basically, I want to use a new headunit, with the old (but rebuilt, or whatever I need to do to fix them and use them) speakers/amps.

How do I do this?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Way out West

start digging through the stickies. I am pretty sure there is information on how to repair bose amps.

If you already have another HU, I would highly recommend just buying new speakers. The adapter costs about $50 and it helps, but it is still inevitable that your speakers and amps are going to crap out on you. Paper speakers more than 12 years old (the back ones totally exposed to the sun) don't tend to hold up very well.

My car blew two speakers and messed up a couple amps with the adapter in there. I had the signal gains turned down, too.

There is a member here (James92SE) that makes pods to fit 6.5" speakers in your doors. Those + good 6x9s in the stock rear locations will sound very nice for fairly cheap, if you shop around.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did the new HU with the Bose adapter to use the old speakers and it was just a huge waste of time. I ended up replacing all the speakers and wiring around the amps. It's like this "All Bose or No Bose" Save your self some time and aggravation.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Alright, so if I have new speakers, do I have to route new wiring or something? the wiring going to the amp is weird...
Old 01-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Way out West

You can find a diagram somewhere. I have my rear ones using the stock wiring (bypassing the amp). I have an amp in my trunk running my doors, though, so I have no idea about the wiring there.

If you are just running a new HU and new door speakers, it would be easy to run new wires to the doors from the back of the HU, though. You would be able to upgrade wires, too.

Like I said, I recommend buying door pods from James and putting in 6.5s in your doors. The stock size is 4" and those sound pretty lame by comparison. If you are cheap, you can cut up your stock Bose pods and cram a 6.5" speaker in there. The rear already has 6x9s and they are super easy to mount from underneath the back (in the trunk).
Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM

err.. excuse my noobishness, but how do I bypass the amp? I just took a quick look in the trunk and there's a connector for the amp, and then theres like normal wiring going from the amp to the speakers...

The front is even wierder.

I need to bypass the amps all around, is there any write up somewhere for this?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Way out West

http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

try craig's page for starters. Other than that, just start searching through google.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also prefer bose speakers. I have them running using my head units pre-outs going into the bose amps. It sounds fine even just running speaker outputs from the head unit into the bose amps, but I have been told this is not good for either. If you do want to stick with bose, I have piles of it available after parting out 3 cars with it. If you figure out you need anything let me know, would rather have someone use it than end up throwing it out this spring.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM

My wife thinks she has fancy Bose speakers. The previous owner took them out and replaced them with an Alpine amp and Blaupunk speakers.
One front speaker stopped working. I disconnected the other front speaker, told I will fix it later. I plan to eliminate the Bose speakers and amps in the front as well. Sweet thing will never know (and most of you wouldnt either if I hadnt just told you!)
I say, go ahead and waste your money if you want!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM

you should be able to get the **** from your local audio place. they sold me the wiring harnesses, the diversity plug, and the fastening kit. was 50-60 dollars total. that was a year ago. havent had a problem yet. im running some 50 dollar pioneer system i used to use in my old dodge dynasty 3.3.

on the topic, what is the safest/loudest amp wattage you would run with the bose system? im looking forward to putting a system in this spring when i put my rims back on.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by alextothestars
on the topic, what is the safest/loudest amp wattage you would run with the bose system? im looking forward to putting a system in this spring when i put my rims back on.
if you're going to put an aftermarket system in your car, might as well swap out the bose stuff. the bose run at a lower impedance than a majority of the newer speakers out there. when an amp sees a load lower than its tolerable level, more than likely the amp will overheat.

upgrade now, less headaches down the road...all IMO of course.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
if you're going to put an aftermarket system in your car, might as well swap out the bose stuff. the bose run at a lower impedance than a majority of the newer speakers out there. when an amp sees a load lower than its tolerable level, more than likely the amp will overheat.

upgrade now, less headaches down the road...all IMO of course.
I agree and that's what I have been trying to say in previous posts.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Clowd
So, I have the Bose system in my car.. all the speakers are blown, but before they blew, I loved the sound I got from them. Can I rebuild them? (I think it's the amps that are blown, and not the speakers?)
I could sell ya a complete set of (working) amps and speakers. Would that help you any?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

bose if working properly sounds perfect and very balanced-that is if you're using a stock head unit. When you put and after market onewith an adapter($15 from walmart) it doesn't sound the same...I am in a process of fixing up my bose system and using an ipod with it(since I have the tape player only)...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 AM

i agree get rid of those bose speakers i tried to keep mine and ended up switching out for infinity kappa 6x9's, 4x6 plate speakers in the front and a pioneeer hu. it sounds ten times better than the bose and i dont even have amps running to any of the speakers... one bit of advice dont skimp on the hu and u will be happy
Old 01-26-2006, 11:41 AM

This is the best place for a 3rd Gen Bose. The garage (radio only)
Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

you guys are all wrong a properly working Bose sounds great and to match it with after market stuff, one'll have to spend $500+....
Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 PM

500+ are u serious paper cones say it all the highs on those 14 year old speakers are worthless when u compare to even some of the cheaper speakers. dont get me wrong they WERE good speakers but now no
Old 01-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by maximapitko
you guys are all wrong a properly working Bose sounds great and to match it with after market stuff, one'll have to spend $500+....
The key phrase there is "properly working."

There are very few people who have a perfect working Bose stereo in a 3rd gen anymore. You can keep putting band-aids on it (fixing the amps, swapping in used speakers, etc), but they will continue to crap out. Like I said previously, the paper speakers don't last very well, especially the ones in the rear deck. The amps don't seem to hold up very well and overall they just don't last.

They sound fairly good for a stock stereo over 10 years old. They are nothing compared to what you can get in the aftermarket today. The only reason to keep it would be money. If you can't afford new stuff, you are stuck with Bose.

Since the author of this thread already has an aftermarket HU to use, I would think it is clearly to his benefit to put in good aftermarket speakers. If a person scrounges around ebay long enough, anyone can find some useable speakers at a low cost. I bought my Infinity Reference 6x9s (used for rear fill) for about $20 including shipping. They sound very good and I have been using them for almost three years.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM

i agree my entire system was bought off of ebay total it cost 290shipped this includes hu (pioneer),6x9, and 4x6 (infinity kappa). if i bought just the 6x9's retail they would have cost around 225.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Shop tunes

I wouldn't even put that suff in my shop!!