3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fogs on the GXE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Fogs on the GXE?

So, I've been meaning to ask this for a while but kept forgetting. I have a GXE as most of you know and I been wanting foglamps on it, I took the first step and got the switch off an SE and put it in where the blank button was and connected it to the cable in there, now my question is....does my car come prewired for foglamps like the SE does? I've checked briefly but never noticed any plugs. Are there any writeups..i didnt see anything in the stickies

if its wired all I would need is the fogs/brackets

thanks in advanced
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Check around the front bumper where they mount up for the plugs in's...They are usually tucked up under there somewhere behind the bumper...
Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 PM

all GXE's should be pre-wired from factory to knowledge. my '93 GXE is pre-wired so i assume urs is too. the plugs should be taped up with either the bumper lights or with the corner lamps can't remember but just feel in those areas that MyGreenMax94 said.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:19 PM

how much cutting needs to be done to a GXE bumper as compaired to an SE, arn't the holes where the foglights sit filled , and isn't there a plastic peice that runs through the middle across the bottom part?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlue92Maxima
how much cutting needs to be done to a GXE bumper as compaired to an SE, arn't the holes where the foglights sit filled , and isn't there a plastic peice that runs through the middle across the bottom part?
I was just gonna ask that...but guys is that a known fact about GXEs really coming prewired from factory?

Also do any of you have any stock fogs that will plug directly to the wires that should be somewhere in there?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MyBlue92Maxima
all you have to do is follow the outline of the foglight cut out on the bumper with a razor blade...simple. Then either cut the center bar or take it off completely.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I was just gonna ask that...but guys is that a known fact about GXEs really coming prewired from factory?

Also do any of you have any stock fogs that will plug directly to the wires that should be somewhere in there?
I have owned 3 GXEs...a 90, 92, 94 (94 was a parts car) and all of them were pre wired for the fogs. I dont know why any others wouldnt be.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 PM

So that just cut out that already outlined foglamp shaped indented rectangle and cut that plastic bar...do I have to drill anything or are there holes there already?..I havent really taken a GOOD look at it so It'd be nice to know.

Also for our Maximas can we have the foglamps on without the main lights or do they both have to be on simultaneously?

Anyone got foglamps for sale?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

So that just cut out that already outlined foglamp shaped indented rectangle and cut that plastic bar...do I have to drill anything or are there holes there already?..I havent really taken a GOOD look at it so It'd be nice to know.

Also for our Maximas can we have the foglamps on without the main lights or do they both have to be on simultaneously?

Anyone got foglamps for sale?
lol and I thought I was lazy...yeah the holes are already there for the fog light bolts. It has nuts welded to the other side so you just get bolts and put them in.

I know the next question will be what size bolt...not sure but they are the same thread and size as the ones holding your fender (iirc...you need to verify) on so you can use one of those to get the right ones.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 PM

Wow! you should see the smile on my face right now...I want FOGGIES!!! so...what about the other question got an answer for that one you know...can I have the fogs on alone or do I need the head lamps on in order to have the fogs on? sorry I'm so pushy just gettin happy...All I need is the fogs and a relay which I can get from work
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM

Wow! you should see the smile on my face right now...I want FOGGIES!!! so...what about the other question got an answer for that one you know...can I have the fogs on alone or do I need the head lamps on in order to have the fogs on? sorry I'm so pushy just gettin happy...All I need is the fogs and a relay which I can get from work

u better put my fogs in too while ur at it...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

you also need the switch on the inside if you dont have it already.

You have to have the lights on for the fogs to work. Also they only work on low beam.

You can rewire them so you can have them on without the lights but I havent looked into that so I cant tell you how but I know its possible.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 PM

Thanks aws and all you other guys, you have been incredibly helpful...cant wait to get ahold of some fog lamps...none on ebay and junkyard ones are always either cracked or dented...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks aws and all you other guys, you have been incredibly helpful...cant wait to get ahold of some fog lamps...none on ebay and junkyard ones are always either cracked or dented...

if you can find some from a junk yard that are really cheap because they are cracked I would get them. You can get the lens from courtesy or other discount dealers for $25ish. The lens is not just the glass but the glass and the reflector part since it is sealed. Be warned though if you get one lens you will want to get both because they look so good when new that they make the old weathered, rusted or sand/rock pitted ones look really bad.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM

Really...I'm gonna go hunting down foglamps next week then...now about this "courtesy" dealer...what is this an internet dealer? more details on this please, just so you see I'm not lazy (although I'm the laziest person you'll ever know) I'm gonna do a google search for Courtesy/
Old 02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Really...I'm gonna go hunting down foglamps next week then...now about this "courtesy" dealer...what is this an internet dealer? more details on this please, just so you see I'm not lazy (although I'm the laziest person you'll ever know) I'm gonna do a google search for Courtesy/
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ode=26151-A32B
Old 02-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

lol...or you could just look in the stickies...they are listed under parts suppliers.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Courtesy Parts is a very good place to buy from. They are lcoated in Texas, so it only takes 4 days to get out to me (CA). They have a map with an estimate time for every area of the US. I bought a Maxima plate frame from them, and it's pretty nice.

After reading this thread, I'm anxious to get fogs. What kind of bulbs fit in the OEM fog lights (and about how much do they go for)? I was thinking about ordering them from Courtesy Parts unless I find them cheaper elsewhere.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM
mod or sell?

they were more expensive on the VTC kits than my local dealer
Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks for everything guys, its like a dream come true! well not really but its still good. So I get everything shown on the site, the inside reflector+lens...all I need is the outside housing thats attached to bracket and car right?

Man you gotta love the org...hope this isnt a thread that existed 2 years ago if you know what I mean
Old 02-09-2006, 09:36 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw a set of real nice foglight brackets on the e-bay this week. Would sure beat worrying about broken bolts trying to get junkyard ones.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 AM

I search yesterday for anything containing the word FOG under 1989-1994 Nissan Maxima and no results... can tell me how the hell you did it?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Sooo, I was driving along when I decided to stop at this parts place near my friends house...the owner loves 3rd gens, has one and actually will be coming to the org once in a while since I told him about it..I found a set (2) PIAA foglamps that are same size shape as stock SE fogs, the only thing is the bracket...he says he got his brand new (stil in box) but didnt feel like messing with the bracketing and just got OEM so he's sellin me the pair for 50 bucks.

Is $50 good price for a pair of NEW PIAA foglamps that might need a little work with the bracket to get them on? I got pictures in my phone but I have to upload so I'll post them later tonight.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:40 PM

seems like a good price to me
Old 02-10-2006, 03:16 PM

excellent...the thing concerning me is the bracket to mount them
Old 02-10-2006, 06:36 PM

With the OEM fogs, is a bracket needed to mount them?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Are the 3rd gen brackets the same as the second gen brackets?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Finally I was able to upload pictures from my phone..my bluetooth dongle is kinda messed up but here check these out. PIAA set for $50

Do they look any good for my car? Does it look like they will fit with that bracket?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:01 AM

will that plug work?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Thats the answer I'm waiting for along with the brackets...if it all fits right in then I'll buy them cuz I know OEM fogs are like gold and hard to find in good condition.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

plug will not work you will have to cut and tap.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:08 AM

yeah, what Michael said. u have to cut off the end of the wire and use the end of the plug of the existin' factory wire on ur 3rd gen or just go to a junkyard and just cut off the male plug with enough wire slack so that u can just put it on ur new fogs. i did this so that incase the bulb blew out i wouldn't have to cut wires and get them shorter. <--- that wouldn't be good. as for the brackets, if the PIAA fogs fit onto the OEM brackets then ur good if not then use the PIAA brackets and ur good to go. now if u want them to work without the headlights (low beams) then go to Craig B's site and he has a write-up on how to do that. i have already done this to mine and im satisfied. its been 3 years since i did it and haven't had anytype of problems so it should do the same for u.

on a side note: i think u should put those yellow bulbs in ur fogs. that would give it that Euro look or JDM look. to me the Euro look or the JDM look good on white cars and dark colored cars near black (like mine).
Old 02-19-2006, 11:11 AM

Do the second gen brackets fit in the third gen by any chance?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys but for now I will not be cuttin the traced plastic or lookin at the wiring cuz its too freakin cold outside, stupid Chicago temperature, pipe burted in my house and just got it fixed gonna go shower since its been 2 days lol
Old 02-19-2006, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys but for now I will not be cuttin the traced plastic or lookin at the wiring cuz its too freakin cold outside, stupid Chicago temperature, pipe burted in my house and just got it fixed gonna go shower since its been 2 days lol

u haven't showered in 2 days???
Old 02-19-2006, 04:58 PM

lol check the weather channel and pay attention to the temp in chicago...I wish it was 85+...yes well 1 day cuz I'm gonna go take one now since we just got out plumbing fixed. there was a big vertical slit on the pipe (brand new piping that just got put in 2-3 months ago)
Old 02-19-2006, 05:12 PM

ITS FREEZING HERE IN CHICAGO .
Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 AM

Well, did my oil change yesterday and while I was at it, removed that plastic bar and I think 5 out of those 6 screws broke off when I tried taking them off and the last one was just nice round n smooth so 10mm wouldn't do it anymore so I just cut the bar from there. I cut the traced plastic where the fogs go and checked near the corner lamp there was a lil' brown plug with nothing so I'm assuming that for the fogs. Soooo I'm on my way to the junk yard to look for decent foggies, today's Wednesday so everything is HALF PRICE!!! hope its not crowded. Today Partly Cloudy High of 43 and 30% chance of rain
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 PM

So all the fogs at the junk yard were below expectation I said screw it and bought something else.

-Digital Cluster
-Heads Up Display (HUD)
the only problem now is connecting them as I noticed the connections are different. I talked to GreenMax and Brian already and they told me something about there being a couple of write ups to install digital/hud on a non equipped Maxima can any one please gimmie a hand. greatly appreciated
Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

So all the fogs at the junk yard were below expectation I said screw it and bought something else.

-Digital Cluster
-Heads Up Display (HUD)
the only problem now is connecting them as I noticed the connections are different. I talked to GreenMax and Brian already and they told me something about there being a couple of write ups to install digital/hud on a non equipped Maxima can any one please gimmie a hand. greatly appreciated
Craig has a write up on the HUD install but not the digital cluster.

Quick Reply: Fogs on the GXE?