3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Could someone direct me to the coolant temperature sensor on the VE, also more ?'s ->

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 11:40 PM

I recall hearing that the coolant temperature sensor, when cleaned, will help performance on a VE. I have a 92 SE with me now that my girlfriend just bought.

Also, I have been doing some tuning up on it. Air filter, fuel filter, plugs, tranny fluid change, oil, etc. Regarding the spark plugs, Nissan uses the NGK R's standard for this car. I just went to the dealer and paid $9/piece for these plugs. However, when I pulled the old ones, they looked fine. Since they look fine, does that mean they're okay? The car has 112K on it and I'm not sure if they've been changed or not. I'm not familiar with the platinum plugs. I'd like to take the plugs I bought back if I don't need to replace them.

Other than the items I mentioned above with regard to the tuneup, is there anything else that should be done. I'm not as familiar with the VE.

I'm performing the VTC rewire tomorrow morning. The engine ticks when cold due to the failing VTC's. After about 10 minutes, it completely goes away. I'm counting on the rewire getting rid of the noise! Has everyone that performed the rewire have success? I'm open to anyone's thoughts. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:53 AM

I just read through some of the archives, thanks to the handy search button. That little connector was a pain to come off, but with the help of two screwdrivers to hold the little metal clip, it was no problem. The terminals were corroded, as many of you have experienced. I'm going to take a small flathead screwdriver and clean them with sandpaper, per suggestions I read. I'll put a little spray lithium grease on the terminals before snapping the connector back on.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:08 PM
Getting back to his roots

Just tried it.....

I cleaned the connector yesterday...didn't clean the connectors till they sparkled, but got most of the corrosion off and applied some dielectric grease. I also replaced the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. Today, a 85+ degree day, I took the 92SE out for a spin and presto! -- The heistation that once bugged the crap out of me has subsided; its great! Just thought I'd voice my opinion on it. I also checked my plugs, and they are looking pretty bad -- corrosion and what seems to be fuel on them, which is disappointing. I want to know how anyone got the plugs out of the deep well they were in (what special tools required?). Also, if anyone knows offhand where the PCV valve is on the VE that'd be great (I think I found it on the back of the intake manifold but aren't sure).
Old 06-10-2001, 12:15 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

You might want to check out Craig Brace's website, as it has a LOT of info on this stuff. It helped me, and it can help you, too!!
Old 06-10-2001, 01:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nubiannupe
You might want to check out Craig Brace's website, as it has a LOT of info on this stuff. It helped me, and it can help you, too!!
www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html

somewhere on there in the howto is pics of most of teh main pieces on the engine (VE and VG)
if you can't find the pic, email me and I'll send it to you (it's a scan from my FSM)