3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Found one of the leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Found one of the leaks!

Well I found out where my trunk was leaking, and it turned out to be the light fixture like you guys said, however that leaves me now with one problem; I do not know how I should seal it up.

Also what is the best way to clean off oil that is spilling all over the place and on the exhaust. It's causing this horrible smoke that gives me a headache if I try and see where it is coming from, so my instructor at my tuning class said we could add some dye to the oil to see where it is leaking from, but first I need to clean up the current mess. What kind of solution should I be using to clean it?

Any idea where the oil leak may be coming from? Any parts that are prone to leaking?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
mod or sell?

steam clean at a coin-op carwash
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Go to the hardware store and get some all weather caulking[like for a house] to fix the leak on the tail light assembly..

The oil leak could be the crankshaft seal/power steering hose/pump/valve covers......Put some cardboard under the engine overnight,then look above where the puddle of oil is for the source of the leak..

Find and fix the oil leak first,then go to the car wash as said above and wash all the oil off the exhaust and under side of car....
Old 02-24-2006, 02:21 AM

Do you think some Bondo(sp?) would do the trick?

Also...this has been bugging me for some time now. When I got the car, the front license plate bracket has always been empty...I just have a license plate on the rear. Do I need one in the front? Can I remove the bracket (the thing is ugly and I have never seen the point in them -.-)?

Just so I do not have to ask this kinda of legal stuff again, where can I look up all this stuff for California?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:40 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

[QUOTE=Wolf-Strong]Do you think some Bondo(sp?) would do the trick?[QUOTE] I doubt it,you need something flexible.....

Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong
Also...this has been bugging me for some time now. When I got the car, the front license plate bracket has always been empty...I just have a license plate on the rear. Do I need one in the front? Can I remove the bracket (the thing is ugly and I have never seen the point in them -.-)?
Just so I do not have to ask this kinda of legal stuff again, where can I look up all this stuff for California?
Google is your friend....
http://www.lapdonline.org/bldg_safer...raffic_tip.htm
Old 02-24-2006, 06:27 AM

if you dont have to have a front license plate then go ahead and take off teh black front bracket...
Old 02-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

1 - do no use bondo
2 - do not use house sealant/caulk

go to a auto body supply place and get a pack of 3M strip caulk. there should be enough caulk to seal around the tailights. you apply it with your hands.

best is probably a steam cleaning. cheap and quick is picking up a few cans of brake cleaner. jack up the car and spray the oily part of the car. just watch your eyes because that stuff burns (don't ask how i know).
Old 02-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Tom

Steam cleaning is effective

If there are some specific spots, spray some Simple Green to degrease the area first. You can pick up Simple Green at any supermarket/drug store/auto parts store. It's also non-toxic and doesn't have nasty fumes.

I had an expereince like yours about 100K miles ago. I thought I had an oil leak from the oil filter that was dripping onto the exhaust. I changed the oil filter, but didn't get any better. It turned out to be the oil pressure switch, which happens to be right by the oil filter.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:00 AM

Bah!

So it looks like I do have to have one. Now the question is, what do I do now since I do not have a second license plate? How do I aquire one and is this going to cost me anything?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong
Bah!

So it looks like I do have to have one. Now the question is, what do I do now since I do not have a second license plate? How do I aquire one and is this going to cost me anything?

Contact the department of motor vehicles[dmv] in your area for info on the plates....

Remember.....http://www.google.com/ is your friend...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:43 PM

What's the word on using a car was place to clean my engine & engine bay? My brother had his VG30 worked on at the dealer and they seemed to superclean that puppy. It has 306k miles and the inside looks like a new car in the showroom. I know I'm suppose to protect electrical and ignition parts, but that happens to be one of the dirtiest & hard-to-reach places; around the spark plugs, valve covers, etc.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
steam clean at a coin-op carwash
Old 03-01-2006, 07:20 PM

Yeah got the license plate thing taken care of at AAA. I've found that it has been so helpful many times over to have them! Yeah Im going to clean the under neath of my car Friday and add the dye in the Oil to see where exactly the leak is coming from. I'm truely learning a lot from this car despite its mishaps...