3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 PM

is it worth it

ok so my car needs new struts front and right, left and right cv shafts, front and back rotars,has two oil leeks, has a bad idle problem(not sure what it is),power steering leek, exauhst leek, and a dent on the back and some random rust spots that can be fixed some what easily..I have the car paid off (got the car free when i got full second degree burns from my hands to four arms from greese at mc donalds) i like the car but but is all the work worth it?....it has 124,000 miles on it as well.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Lives in a Maxima

Depends, how much do you like your car?

You could atleast look at at how much it'll cost you vs. selling it and buying a different one. ...which will probably have it's own set of problems.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 PM

i have to agree how much do you like your car?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:19 AM
mod or sell?

if you do the labor yourself, keep it
if you're going to pay someone else pitch it
Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I couldn't have said it better myself. I bought a car that runs great, but has its own set of probs..listed in my sig, for 900 bucks, but i'm doing all the work myself so its an experience as well as an investment.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM

i'd say keep it and fix it up. my first max was a black 94 se and i paid 800 for it. it was running but the vtcs were ticking, needed struts and spindle and hub and it had a cheap black paint job. me and my dad fixed EVERYTHING on the car and i got it painted over black. sold it. now i has a red 92 se that i paid 300 for. it runs a times, needs a spoiler, has a dent in the driver door and none of the windows work but lucky for me i have a parts car. me and my dad are going to take our time and fix it. i hate i sold the black one but i'm keeping this one
Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by 4thgradedropout
ok so my car needs new struts front and right
I'm in the same position. However, my fronts are just weak (no oil leakage). My rears are locked up. People on the forums suggested I look at the Chiltons for replacement of front suspension parts.

Please, please tell me that replacing the rear struts are as simple (like 6 steps) as the Chilton's says....

left and right cv shafts
Are they clicking yet? If not, but the boots are open - a good shop will be able to inspect the joint for wear (the bearings, gate, etc) to see whether replacement is necessary. My 240K 92 GXE has the original CV axles. Boots have opened up three times, and all three times have had the boots replaced versus purchasing brand new axles.

front and back rotars
You have rear rotors on a GXE (didn't know 4 wheel disc was an option in 92). Nonetheless, rotors are relatively inexpensive - high performance models on eBay seem to be going for the same price as solid, vented rotors at AutoZone.

Wanna live on the cheap? Get some rotors that have very little wear from a junkyard - turn them yourself or have a shop do it for you.

has two oil leeks
There are leaks and there are drains. If it's a very small leak, why worry? Your car is almost 15 years old. It's expected.

has a bad idle problem(not sure what it is),power steering leek, exauhst leek, and a dent on the back and some random rust spots that can be fixed some what easily..I have the car paid off (got the car free when i got full second degree burns from my hands to four arms from greese at mc donalds) i like the car but but is all the work worth it?....it has 124,000 miles on it as well.
Look, the Maxima is a proven warrior to keep fighting for a spot on the road. I've learned a ton from advice from others and plain diving into my Maxima in hopes of keeping my 92 running. If you're not too afraid - you can fix things a part at a time. The road to perfection is arduous, but imagine the satisfaction you'll get to think "wow, my efforts REALLY paid off!"
Old 02-28-2006, 12:36 PM

my passenger side cv shaft is clicking really bad when i make right turns and i know it is worn because i previously replaced all 4 boots since they all had holes when i replaced my controle arms and one ball joint...they were worn then but i did not have the money to fix it.....and my dad is a mechanic so all the labor will be done at my house.....my struts pop to when ever i hit a bump or it floats realy bad...so im going to buy new struts and my exhaust leak last time i got it fixed cost me 200 dollars to just get it patched so i think im going to spend the other like 400 and get a hole y-pipe ect..... and then i will not have to worry about any new ones popping up..but im trying to get it fixed up enough to make it to florida this summer so im not sure what will need to be done for that long of a drive.....
Old 02-28-2006, 02:39 PM
mod or sell?

pretty much what you mentioned should be done before a long triplike that
struts - can you say tires off the ground?
Axles- if one goes totally bad your car will be rendered immobile whereever it occurs. or worse
I sell brand new axles
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by internetautomar
+1 thats only 4-600 dolars in parts to fix all the machanicle stuff
Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Based on the car's value, all of those repairs would probably out weight the value of the car. It's all about how much you like the car now. If it was me i would because i like my car that much but it's your money and you know what's best for your situation.