3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Sean@Home
Honestly man your just pre-judging me. I just got a maxima out of the blue few days ago and im in love, i have some money to invest in it and i figured Maxima.org would be the best place to start. I planned on showing my progress and contributeing to the forum. I had no plans of just jumping on for info and leaving. I guess this isn't the thread to ask about suspension............oh wait thats exactly what it is and your just pompous **** that thinks that its somehow exclusive to your questions.

Ps. I would have made my own thread but post count not high enough, i think i need to contribute to more threads but apparently not yours.
That is the key, contribute. You did not contribute to this thread, you hijacked it. Then when called out for it, you started swearing. And now you want to act butthurt that you got owned for it. Just stop.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:36 AM
mod or sell?

sorry guys, but he isn't that bad.
we've had noobs come on here posting that their car is great that had absolutley nothing even remotely to do with the topic.
suspension and wheels are kinda related.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:15 AM
I miss my VE

Honestly man your just pre-judging me. I just got a maxima out of the blue few days ago and im in love, i have some money to invest in it and i figured Maxima.org would be the best place to start. I planned on showing my progress and contributeing to the forum. I had no plans of just jumping on for info and leaving. I guess this isn't the thread to ask about suspension............oh wait thats exactly what it is and your just pompous **** that thinks that its somehow exclusive to your questions.

Ps. I would have made my own thread but post count not high enough, i think i need to contribute to more threads but apparently not yours.
I don't understand one thing though.. Why not just wait until 15 posts to ask for help? Are you that much better that you need to hijack asap? Why don't you tell me how to compress my spring instead to line up with the top mount, before I go and get another set of compressors. That would definatly be a contribution on your part. Face it, your hijacking and theres no other explanition for it. Instead of apologizing, or deleating your cool posts from this thread, your still trying to say your a caring beneficial guy with other people on his mind. Im sure you wouldn't be too happy if some noob hijacked your thread either.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
we've had noobs come on here posting that their car is great that had absolutley nothing even remotely to do with the topic.
That doesn't make it okay.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I miss my VE

All right, Im headed out for another compressor. Figure nobody wants to add anything in, since this is pretty self explanitory. Guess the AZ ones just aren't all that great for our springs in sets of 2.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
All right, Im headed out for another compressor. Figure nobody wants to add anything in, since this is pretty self explanitory. Guess the AZ ones just aren't all that great for our springs in sets of 2.

the compressors you have are the good ones and the safe ones for our car. It looks like you have them compressed enough to me to be safe. I think thats how mine looked. I may have grabbed the springs a little higher though not sure. Still it looks like you have enough compressed to take most of the pressure off.

The only other compressor they have is not safe for struts.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:41 PM

I appreciate that and was really not trying to get off on the wrong foot, at first it was an honest mistake, but then he jumped down my throat for it. AS for your question EVelution i thought my question pertained to your thread, so i posted a question. I figured some of my first 15 post would be questions/comments in other threads and this happened to be one of them. im sorry you're too dense to understand that.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:41 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Michael
the compressors you have are the good ones and the safe ones for our car. It looks like you have them compressed enough to me to be safe. I think thats how mine looked. I may have grabbed the springs a little higher though not sure. Still it looks like you have enough compressed to take most of the pressure off.

The only other compressor they have is not safe for struts.
There are worse compressors out there?

Well I can't actually take the pressure off till I get that nut over the mount. Problem is, I can't get the mount to line up with whats underneath to screw it on. I've read in older threads that these compressors from AZ don't work all that great with our fronts. If your off just a bit with mounting them, you will have to start over. Two sets of compressors would make life alot easier.

I agree. Im probably gonna need to grab the spring a bit higher like I did with the first side, thats all, since I have one more AZ to check with for another set of compressors. The others are all out.

I appreciate that and was really not trying to get off on the wrong foot, at first it was an honest mistake, but then he jumped down my throat for it. AS for your question EVelution i thought my question pertained to your thread, so i posted a question. I figured some of my first 15 post would be questions/comments in other threads and this happened to be one of them. im sorry you're too dense to understand that.
I maybe dense, but I can admit if Im wrong, which you obviosly can't when you know your wrong. Why try to show me something? Why not just delete your post from my thread just like I asked days ago, very nicely actually. Whos jumping at your throat? Have I said anything bad to you? Your the one whos catching feelings by calling me names. Are you mad because Im helping you face the truth? I think thats exactly what happened here. Listen Sean, I want you to feel @ home by all means, but you really should have more respect for a place that may potentially help you ALOT.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:37 PM

I have ample respect for those that show it. I made a mistake which as ive already said 3 times previous to this, is a mistake(admitting im wrong). You are still trying to retort with utter jibberish. just be honest and admit that you dont want anyone else asking suspension questions in your suspension thread. Because that is all i did, was ask a simple question. My mistake lies in me not contributeing to the thread with anything other then a question; however my question had paralelles to yours so i didnt think it was a big deal. obviously i thought wrong.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
I miss my VE

I have ample respect for those that show it. I made a mistake which as ive already said 3 times previous to this, is a mistake(admitting im wrong). You are still trying to retort with utter jibberish. just be honest and admit that you dont want anyone else asking suspension questions in your suspension thread. Because that is all i did, was ask a simple question. My mistake lies in me not contributeing to the thread with anything other then a question; however my question had paralelles to yours so i didnt think it was a big deal. obviously i thought wrong.
To me admitting your mistake while continuing to do the same thing is true contradiction. If you really felt you did something wrong, Im sure you wouldn't continue to talk about this, yet your still trying to prove something. You would have already deleated your post like I asked from the begining with respect towards you.. I never said anything bad towards you. You talkin about respect, right? Wheres my respect? Huh? Yet you keep cluttering my thread with your cool messages. You would not appreciate somebody hijacking your thread so don't do the same to others. Simple as that. Your question may not have been in the stickies, but you could have definatly waited till you got 15 posts to ask.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

you know VEvolution I see your reasons for being upset but I dont think you should keep dragging it out on this thread. I think it would be better to handle it in PM...oh wait newbies cant PM can they...if not maybe email.

Anyway you risk getting your thread locked from the arguing. I dont think its that big a deal but I do understand where you are coming from...I just think its getting out of hand and not helping with your original problem.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I miss my VE

Yeah Michael, thanks for pointing that out. Really appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I miss my VE

Eh, might you knowledgable fellas clarify what the "strut thrust bearing" does? It's the one that goes under the strut mount if Im not mistaken, and comes with a big metal washer.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:02 AM

OK back to the subject of this post (I think it got lost somewhere up there) I have seen Koni reds for our car on ebay, they seem like they would be readily avaliable? Is it a scam, to the people that are getting Konis shipped direct, how did you order these?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
mod or sell?

the ebay koni's aren't a scam.
there are places that have them in stock, SHOX is not one of them, nor is Koni at the moment
Koni themselves whould have 4 more rears in stock at the end of the month.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I'm probably doing the same soon except with cheaper stuff such as KYB GR2 and probably TRW which is lifetime warranty. Can someone make a list of these suspension component with detailed name so I can print it out and take it work? I'd really appreciate it if someone took the time to.

this is what I got so far on the list

Struts
Strut mounts
Old 03-13-2006, 12:08 PM

so if the ebay Konis arent a scam, why is everyone waiting for some direct from the factory?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
mod or sell?

loyalty .
Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Still don't get it. Koni got paid regardless. But if it is somehow more loyal to get it from the source than from someone who got it from the source (or if it comes with some sort of warranty) than it makes sense
Old 03-13-2006, 12:30 PM
mod or sell?

1. typically parts bought off of ebay don't have an enforceable warranty.
2. the loyalty isn't to koni, it's to me and the fact that I due come out cheaper
Old 03-14-2006, 04:55 AM

Ahh, its much clearer now.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I miss my VE

I got in new shocks/axles and now the camber is way off. What exactly messes up the allignment so badly when doing suspension work?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
I got in new shocks/axles and now the camber is way off. What exactly messes up the allignment so badly when doing suspension work?
the lower springs changed the suspension geometry. You can get the adjustable links from a parts car and replace your solid on in the rear (giving you two adjustable links instead of one) which will let you adjust camber in the rear. For the front you have to buy camber bolts and you put them in place of the top bolt on your strut (where it connects to the knuckle).
Old 03-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Michael
the lower springs changed the suspension geometry. You can get the adjustable links from a parts car and replace your solid on in the rear (giving you two adjustable links instead of one) which will let you adjust camber in the rear. For the front you have to buy camber bolts and you put them in place of the top bolt on your strut (where it connects to the knuckle).
I see.. Good info, but thing is though, unfortunatly I had to keep the stock springs awhile longer with a shock brand that normally your not proud of telling people you have, so the springs are still the same. Once I got the wheels back on, the allignment was out there. Just wondering what causes the allignment to go nuts after just changing the shocks.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:45 AM
mod or sell?

look at the bolt holes on the strut, note that 1 is oval, that oval hole allows the car to be aligned. that hole also allows the strut to be reinstalled out of alignment.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

look at the bolt holes on the strut, note that 1 is oval, that oval hole allows the car to be aligned. that hole also allows the strut to be reinstalled out of alignment.

I have never had struts that were oval. There is very little play in the strut...especially not enough to cause a big difference in camber. Unless he drilled them out I doubt they are oval.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I miss my VE

Not sure what your talkin about Brian.. You talkin about the 2 bolt holes at the bottom of the strut? They seemed like your regular holes. These?

Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 PM
mod or sell?

I thought 2 of them were oval that's normally part of it.
see what I get for not having replaced my struts.

oh VE, the one on the right looks like it has an oval hole on the bottom to me, but the left one looks totally round
Old 03-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I miss my VE

Yeah I noticed the one on the right with the oval hole as well Beats me. If Im not mistaken, my new struts came with the ovals, but will make sure. So thats pretty much the only thing that kills the allignment on strut jobs, right?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:26 AM
mod or sell?

yup, that oval is what allows for adjustment.
just take the car in and get it aligned.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
IMHO. I'd replace most if not all of the rubber bushings. ie.. Control arm/tie rod/ball joints. If you get springs/shocks/swaybars, it will greatly improve the ride but exacerbate the worn bushing problem. ie.. it will always be a tag "loose". Ever wonder why new cars seem to handle pretty good even though they are on totally stock suspensions? New bushings.
Jeff, I think you are definitely correct. I just did new balljoints and struts, and the car went from being rough riding but tight to smooth ride but loose. How would you change the control arm bushings ?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

You either buy new arms with bushings or burn your old ones out and replace with energy Poly versions. That's what I did. Great mod

Originally Posted by jimbo2006
Jeff, I think you are definitely correct. I just did new balljoints and struts, and the car went from being rough riding but tight to smooth ride but loose. How would you change the control arm bushings ?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Not to dog up an old thread, but I don't know if I read about the final decision here. Did you go with the Koni/Eibach setup, VEvolution? And is it up to your liking? I am thinking about the same thing but am also a bit leary of the price. I might go with the Tokico/Eibach setup instead. Does anyone have anything to say about how they compare to the first option? What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, I might just get the front Konis and get the rears when I have money to do the rear disc brake swap at the same time. What do you all think?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I miss my VE

Well actually no.. I couldn't rack up the money together in time before my car was getting out of the garage. But I can always use this info here for the future.

As far as the shocks go.. I don't even know the performance difference in between Toks and Koni, except that I always hear the Koni can survive a really low ride. They are also much more pricey, harder to get, and require some work to get in since they come only as inserts.. If I were you, I would just do a simple search here in the 3rd gen section and something always pops up.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Koni's are considered the best, tokicos 2nd, kyb's 3rd.

I had the eibach/tokico set up and it wasn't bad for a decently priced combo.
Now if you go tokico, get them from a reputable dealer with a receipt for
the lifetime warranty.

Btw, I have eibachs for sale.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Yes, I'll probably go with the Toks/Eibachs for price purposes. But one more questions on the Konis. How long do they last on decent roads with the Eibachs? How 'bout the Tokicos? Thanks