3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE into a 89-91 Max

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 03:31 PM

Hey guys, my friend is getting rid of his car, he has 93 max. He can give me his VE engine for free. Do u think its worth swaping. How much $$$ u think it would cost to swap the engine.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

All I know......

is I've heard there is more work in it than what its worth for 30 extra horses! I think you have to relocate some stuff and some other little things.... a search might turn up some more answers, I've seen this topic discussed before.

Originally posted by Maximum5spd
Hey guys, my friend is getting rid of his car, he has 93 max. He can give me his VE engine for free. Do u think its worth swaping. How much $$$ u think it would cost to swap the engine.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:10 PM

dude its not worth it....Go turbo instead!!!

VG-T power!!! <----in Jeff92SE style....
Old 06-11-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey how's the project going? When can I come over and see all the goodies? We can brainstorm or something!

Originally posted by Czar
dude its not worth it....Go turbo instead!!!

VG-T power!!! <----in Jeff92SE style....
Old 06-11-2001, 04:50 PM

I ended up having to make a custom front header because the stock one takes up too much of the room where the turbo goes. The turbine side is even with the back edge of the block and the compressor side sits right above the starter. I am running the 1 7/8 crossover under the engine and to a new flange right behind the turbo. The new manifold will be more of a log style to give me more room and will include the additional pipe for the other bank. WIth all the welding going on, I am learning to weld because Stan's will charge me too much to do what I want to do. Its a little more work than I had anticipated, right now I need to find an O2 housing that goes straight down rather than straight back from the turbo. This attachment is similar to what I am doing for turbo placement, but with the c/o under the engine. Do you know where I can get a O2 housing that goes straight down like this one???
Old 06-11-2001, 05:08 PM

Oh Czar, I saw your post on Z31.com about rebuilding turboes. I would recommend you bring it to a well known turbo shop and have them rebuild it. It might cost a little more but they can do more stuff to ensure reliability(spin balance to 100k+ rpms, micropolish ****, etc). This way you will get a warrenty with it as well.. Keep up the good work

PS: Get Jeff to the track. Hahahahaha..
Old 06-11-2001, 05:28 PM

I investigated the cost of rebuilding the turbo and for just the kit it is more than what I paid for the turbo(after selling the other junk I got)... So since I have reasonable confidence that it is good(came out of a wrecked car with 68K, and I spooled it up with a vacuum cleaner-- no wierd sounds; spins smooth) I will just bolt it on and if the seals or something else is bad, I'll get a T-3/T-4 with the bigger compressor.

BTW Jeff.. not too much happening, just hacking apart my manifold to modify it, but I should be ready to show it off soon. My ECD is by the July Seattle meet. Are you going to maxus? If you are where do I send my money?
Old 06-13-2001, 11:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

o2 housing. Well all of these sensors look the same to me. It just depends on where you weld in the o2 sensor bung?

I wanna see this **** in person Czar! hehe.

Maxus? Well by the votes so far, I'm no longer going.

Originally posted by Czar
I investigated the cost of rebuilding the turbo and for just the kit it is more than what I paid for the turbo(after selling the other junk I got)... So since I have reasonable confidence that it is good(came out of a wrecked car with 68K, and I spooled it up with a vacuum cleaner-- no wierd sounds; spins smooth) I will just bolt it on and if the seals or something else is bad, I'll get a T-3/T-4 with the bigger compressor.

BTW Jeff.. not too much happening, just hacking apart my manifold to modify it, but I should be ready to show it off soon. My ECD is by the July Seattle meet. Are you going to maxus? If you are where do I send my money?