3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need Help! Shop broke my fan speed switch :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 04:20 PM

I picked my car up from the shop today after having some brake work re-done (bad omen).

The car drove fine, but after going a few blocks I tried running the AC. The switch appears to be broken. It won't turn the fan on at all and it's no longer anywhere near as firm as the warm/cold switch. I would have gone straight back to the shop, but they were all leaving the same time I left.

My questions are:
- Are these switched prone to break if they're overly man-handled?
- Can the switch be repaired or does the whole climate control unit need to be replaced?
- How do I politely, yet firmly approach this tomorrow morning when I go back?

I really just want to get this taken care of. I driving to Tampa this weekend, and there's no way in the world it's going to be a pleasant trip without AC.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:09 PM
Ford Only.

If you signed the release form you cant do anything.It says at the bottom about how they are not responsible for lost or damaged property blah blah blah blah blah
Old 06-12-2001, 06:36 PM

Actually, I never signed it. They went ahead and did the work as per my verbal request, then wrote the sheet up afterwards. I don't want to have to get legal though.

Anyone know if the lever can be repaired or what the unit replacement cost is?

How hard is it to get it out of the dash?
Old 06-12-2001, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by go_speed_go
Actually, I never signed it. They went ahead and did the work as per my verbal request, then wrote the sheet up afterwards. I don't want to have to get legal though.

Anyone know if the lever can be repaired or what the unit replacement cost is?

How hard is it to get it out of the dash?

Do you have the Automatic Climate Control or the Manual?

Exactly what switch are you talking about?
Old 06-12-2001, 09:46 PM

the fan speed on my car is broken too. It doens't go past 3. Its like jammed somehow. any thoughts on how to fix it and get it to go to 4? thanks. (93 SE auto)
Old 06-13-2001, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by superdesi

Do you have the Automatic Climate Control or the Manual?

Exactly what switch are you talking about?
I have the manual climate control. It's the fan speed switch/lever - settings off,1,2,3,4.

The switch/lever moves much easier than it did before. Without turning on the fan, I can't engage the AC or heat.

My chat with my mechanic was unfruitful. He said it never worked for them, and I have no reason (or recourse for that matter) to doubt them. I guess an 8 year old 124k car is going to have things start to let go. I just wish it would happen in my own hands.

I'm going to try removing it and taking it a part tonight to see what broke inside. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:15 AM

I have the manual climate control. It's the fan speed switch/lever - settings off,1,2,3,4.

The switch/lever moves much easier than it did before. Without turning on the fan, I can't engage the AC or heat.

My chat with my mechanic was unfruitful. He said it never worked for them, and I have no reason (or recourse for that matter) to doubt them. I guess an 8 year old 124k car is going to have things start to let go. I just wish it would happen in my own hands.

I'm going to try removing it and taking it a part tonight to see what broke inside. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ok. The good news is that yes it is repairable. The slider moves on a a plastic "track" and sometimes loses the lithium grease, making it stiff and hard to slide. And sometimes the slider gets off the "track" allowing it to move freely.

The bad news is that it is a pain in the *** to get out. I had scraped knuckles and bled before I could get it out. And putting it back on was no easy task. Then you have to properly set align the cable for the air vent.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:19 AM

Where does the biggest pain in the *ss arise?
Removing the unit or repairing it?

I've located a used replacement for $65. If just swapping them will save me some aggrevation, I might do that instead.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:00 AM

Where does the biggest pain in the *ss arise?
Removing the unit or repairing it?

I've located a used replacement for $65. If just swapping them will save me some aggrevation, I might do that instead.

Thanks.
To be honest, the hardest part is taking it out and putting it back in.

Repairing is fairly simple. Just get some good lithium grease. What exactly is wrong with your current unit? Give me exact details.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:17 AM

To be honest, the hardest part is taking it out and putting it back in.

Repairing is fairly simple. Just get some good lithium grease. What exactly is wrong with your current unit? Give me exact details.
The fan speed switch/lever moves more freely than the temp controls. Previously they both felt firm.

The fan switch/lever won't actually engage the fan/AC/heat. I tried AC, Heat, recirc, etc and nothing would get the fan to turn on. The back-lighting for all the buttons and switches work fine. The fuses all checked out ok.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:29 AM

The fan speed switch/lever moves more freely than the temp controls. Previously they both felt firm.

The fan switch/lever won't actually engage the fan/AC/heat. I tried AC, Heat, recirc, etc and nothing would get the fan to turn on. The back-lighting for all the buttons and switches work fine. The fuses all checked out ok.

Thanks.
Ok. Most likey the lever came off the "track". This is easy to fix. Now if someone forced the lever intentionally and the track and points are now broken, then you will have a tough time realigning everything.

If you are near the NY/NJ/PA area, bring it around my place and I will help you out.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:59 AM

Ok. Most likey the lever came off the "track". This is easy to fix. Now if someone forced the lever intentionally and the track and points are now broken, then you will have a tough time realigning everything.

If you are near the NY/NJ/PA area, bring it around my place and I will help you out.
I'd swing by but the ~850 mile jaunt up I95 would be a little rough.

Thanks for your help.