3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine swap to be started...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:48 AM

Engine swap to be started...

OK I have a 92 GXE, 175k runs great, body has some front end damage along with other dents and dings on the sides. It needs struts and shocks, brakes, tires and a list of other repairs/maintenance that will run about $600-700 give or take... I just picked up a 91 GXE with 120k on the car. Nice straight body. good brakes and tires, interior cleaned up real nice... Timing belt broke.....

The Plan...

Swap the motor out of my 92 into the 91... Any advise or suggestions...

Some of the stuff that I will be giving up are... 4 wheel disc, ABS and heated Mirrors... There are some other interior things like a cup holder that I will swap out... After it all done, I will sell off anything left.... Offer it here then try ebay before it get towed away....

Again any advice , help or suggestion is welcome... thanks

I have seen posts about swaping out the rear discs, can anyone direct me to info about doing this????

Also does anyone know if the wiring harness for the mirrors includes the heater circuit, I have the mirrors and the switch if it just a matter of switching them out...
Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When the engine is out, change timing belt, water pump, seals, exhaust studs, etc. Its 10x easier whent he engine is out. Here is the link for the rear disc conversion.
http://www.4dsc.com/articles/suspens...nversion.shtml
Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM

i suggest u do what aminus21 already stated. i did both my 3rd gens while both engines were out. i changed water pump, thermostat, timin' belt, front main seal, cam seals, broken exhaust studs, engine mounts, valve cover gaskets, cleaned intake system and fuel injectors, rebuilt power steering pumps, cleaned both engines up real good while out, and rebuilt alternators. since ur swappin' ur '92 engine out and puttin' it into the '91 body make sure that the wire harness's r the same on both cars cuz everything will plug right in only if the rear injector harness's r the same in both bodies; but if its not the same u can do 1 of 2 things: cut and splice the harness or just swap out the harness and call it a day. i had to splice the wires on my '89 SE 5-speed so that the motor out of my '93 GXE will work in my '89. on a side not: replace ur rear main seal while ur at it. also make sure that the rack and pinion bushings r still good since they will be out on the open for u and should take no more than 5 mins. to change. i did not do this on either of my cars cuz at that point i didn't think they were worn out and about a month ago found out how much lack of space u have while the engine and tranny is already in the car. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:51 PM

btw: my '93 ended up gettin' the low mileage engine which had 104k or 105k when i got it back in Aug. of last year. and my '89 got my old '93 motor that had over 250k miles on it. and both run like brand new cars.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best of luck to you JOEDINTS!

GRNMAXDMON I must commend you on all the work that's been done to your car. The cars are beautiful and seems to have been well worth it.

How difficult did you find this swap? Did you have a mechanic's help or was it merely common sense and a repair manual. Approx. How much did the parts cost you and were they OEM? How long did this entire project take you? Lastly, what tips advice would you share with anyone about to do this swap
Old 03-06-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
Best of luck to you JOEDINTS!

GRNMAXDMON I must commend you on all the work that's been done to your car. The cars are beautiful and seems to have been well worth it.

How difficult did you find this swap? Did you have a mechanic's help or was it merely common sense and a repair manual. Approx. How much did the parts cost you and were they OEM? How long did this entire project take you? Lastly, what tips advice would you share with anyone about to do this swap
thanks Brudda Bob for appreciating my work on my cars.

the swap was not difficult but it was a pain to begin with. i did not have a mechanics help at all. it was just me and dad and my uncle who helped a bit in the swaps. i did not use the repair manual for 95% during the swaps. i would say i spent about $400-$500 in parts some OEM and some aftermarket. my white SE took me a weekend since my dad needed the car. my green GXE took me about a month 1/2 cuz i had to get some minor damages fixed at a body shop while the engine and tranny was out plus lookin' for quality parts as well for it. at this moment i still have to install alot of other parts that r still layin' around for my green Max. i am currently sellin' my white Max cuz i want to move onto a 5th gen and will continue to work on my '93 at the same time. i will do another engine swap in my '93 once i have money again.

btw: my advice to everyone on here is to just take their time on a swap cuz if u rush it the damn car won't turn out to be what was expected. also have help around just in case. take 10-15 min. breaks while doin' the swap. have all the tools necessary. secure the car as well. have a service manual handy and buy the obvious parts brand new. all in all its a pretty straight forward job. first time i did a motor swap as well as converting it to a 5-speed. i tackled all this myself and did not pay anyone to do it for me thats the only way u will learn how to work on ur own car and make sure its done right and not pay a shop so that they can tear u a new a$$hole. if u have anymore questions i'll be more than happy to help as well as the other .org members that helped me.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.... I actually have been thinking about getting a used JDM motor and installing that one. $450 +shipping... Looking into the option, haven't got a shipping quote yet...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM

shipping will probably be around $200-$300
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any idea's on where to buy a good JDM motor. I have a 1990 max with the VG30 E and the 5spd. The previous owner D GRNMAXDMON GRNMAXDMON is offline
(DIY) did the timing belt and then his daughter blew the motor cuase hi did the belt wrong. So I want to do a swap.

Dan
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 AM

where can i get a crate motor from , about how much do they usually cost?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by dwilson_psd
Any idea's on where to buy a good JDM motor. I have a 1990 max with the VG30 E and the 5spd. The previous owner D GRNMAXDMON GRNMAXDMON is offline
(DIY) did the timing belt and then his daughter blew the motor cuase hi did the belt wrong. So I want to do a swap.

Dan
a good JDM motor is the one that you inspect before you buy it.
Personally I'd take a running motor out of a junkyard car before a JDM motor
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
a good JDM motor is the one that you inspect before you buy it.
Personally I'd take a running motor out of a junkyard car before a JDM motor

i did this before i actually bought the motor. turns out the owner junked the car cuz the auto tranny blew but thte motor had 104k miles on it when it got junked. the guy at the junkyard let me even start it before they pulled the motor out of the junked 3rd gen. man that thing started right up with no problems and no exhaust leaks but pretty freakin' dirty too. for $450 i can't complain there.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM

got my VE at the local junker for $200 with 68k miles.....
Old 03-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well guys you would all kill me but yesterday I got so fed up thinking ABOUT PUTTING $2000 into a car I thought about parting it out. Then my neighbor came over (who sold New Nissan Maximas in the earlier 1990's) and told me that I did not have a GXE but had a completely loaded SE. So now I am thinking would it be possible to have the motor I have in the car rebuilt? I would pull it and then just have the machine shop do a magniflux or whatever. ideas???

Daniel
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dwilson_psd
Well guys you would all kill me but yesterday I got so fed up thinking ABOUT PUTTING $2000 into a car I thought about parting it out. Then my neighbor came over (who sold New Nissan Maximas in the earlier 1990's) and told me that I did not have a GXE but had a completely loaded SE. So now I am thinking would it be possible to have the motor I have in the car rebuilt? I would pull it and then just have the machine shop do a magniflux or whatever. ideas???

Daniel
what year is the car? do u still have it?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry,
I am so used to having my sig in other forumns. The car is a 1990 maxima 5spd. It is in my shop right now with the motor half disconeccted. BTW should I pull the motor out the top or pull a bunch of other stuff and the motor out the bottom?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM
mod or sell?

out the top.
and go into the "User CP" to specify what yr/model etc... you have.