3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fast when cold, sluggish when warm??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 04:09 PM
JMaxman93

This is a very weird problem that i cant figure out..im not gonna act like i know a ton about cars bc im only 17 but everyone i know says that there cars are slower when the engine in cold but when it warms up it runs better...i have the opposite problem. When my engine is cold, excelleration is a lot better and it just runs great. but after it warms up it is sluggish, slow and theres a lot of hesitation. well i cant figure this one out but im sure theres someone on this forum that knows about this b/c ive never seen a problem on here that somebody couldnt answer!! thanks for any help!

Old 06-14-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do a search for more detail but the summary is:
1) When the car is cold, it is running off preset air/fuel/idle programs. It's set rich so car feels peppier
2)When warm, the car runs closed loop and uses various sensors to determine air/fuel/ignition etc...

There is probably something wrong w/ your car's sensors that's making it run bad(or 10 other possible things) Suggestion that is easy and free. Locate the red coolant sensor's connector(on top of the intake manifold, near the fuel pressure regulator) Unhook the connector(careful), clean the male and female sides well and apply dielectric grease before reconnecting. See if that helps the hesitations.

Originally posted by JMaxman93
This is a very weird problem that i cant figure out..im not gonna act like i know a ton about cars bc im only 17 but everyone i know says that there cars are slower when the engine in cold but when it warms up it runs better...i have the opposite problem. When my engine is cold, excelleration is a lot better and it just runs great. but after it warms up it is sluggish, slow and theres a lot of hesitation. well i cant figure this one out but im sure theres someone on this forum that knows about this b/c ive never seen a problem on here that somebody couldnt answer!! thanks for any help!
Old 06-14-2001, 04:22 PM

mine's the same way, i'm gonna try putting in a cooler thermostat.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:42 PM
Ford Only.

All VE's suffer from this it is called heat soak!
Old 06-14-2001, 08:35 PM
Getting back to his roots

My VE

I had the exact same problem with my VE. After cleaning the red coolant temperature sensor, replacing the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs the Max runs smooth as butter no matter what temperature. Hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:50 PM
JMaxman93

Hey guys thanks alot i cleaned to red temperature sensor tonight and found that it did the trick...its running a lot better! but still not as good as id like and i guess thats where a few mods come in...cheapest and best to start out with?

Old 06-15-2001, 06:10 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

yes...

I have the same problem, and my car feels so much slower then it used to be when i just got it with 84k, now at 103 it is completely dead.. I did the tune up and cleaned the coolant temp sensor, it did feel a bit better but after some time car felt like **** again.. and Hesitation is a major problem with mine.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:36 PM
abiondi

Maxima SE lack of power when hot + hesitations

I have a 1992 SE with 77 K miles. It has never run well since the dealer fixed the variable valve timing system.

It is degrading and I have the same symptoms as JMaxman93. It runs great when cold, sluggish when warm.

I think it is the VTC again. If the timing is off at low RPMs, then the car will feel sluggish.

But just in case, and since I have replaced everything that wears (plugs, filters, fluids, thermostat, etc...), I will check the "Red Coolant Sensor connector".

Thanks for the trick !

Old 06-19-2001, 01:21 AM

Go through all of your sensor connectors and spray in electrical contact cleaner. If you have a very small flathead, use it and scrape off any corrosion. After 60-70k miles, most of the sensor connectors start showing signs of corrosion preventing good contact. The corrosion is worse if people spray water directly into the engine to clean it.