3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

exhaust manifold studs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001 | 10:19 PM

Iam not for sure but have they upgraded the studs for the manifold?I recently broke three of them went to the dealer in my area bought the studs for $5.70 a piece now I need to know is this a do it your self job or will I have to shell out alot of money to fix it.I live in the Va,MD,Washington dc area,any helpful response is apreciated.
Old 06-15-2001 | 10:38 AM

Bin there done that

Just ask for new studs for your model, the ones you get will be the ones off the ZX300 Twin Tub and the label will have the word Turbo in it. No matter how strong it is, resist the temptation to use it as a badge on your boot.

Whether it's easy or not depends on how brave or mechanically competent you are. And where they've broken off. Could be enough of a stump to grab with Molegrips.The stump might be flush with the cylinder head. A bastard to drill out. I believe you call it a Milwaukee drill, or something. 90 degree bit allows you into tight corners

You'll also have to undo the other studs to remove the manifold to get at the broken ones. (That's not meant to be sarcasm, just a warning. The "healthy" studs might break when you try undoing them).

Best of luck. (Oh and I'm not proud to admit I put it in the shop to get mine done...)
Old 06-15-2001 | 11:34 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Bin there done that

well if MAX/OD do decide to do them i wish him good luck. i did mine myself..and at this point i rather replace a timing CHAIN then do the studs again.

more than likely the studs will break flush. good luck getting them out. you have to drill at the correct angle to get the EZ out in there...but then i would say NOT to use the EZ out and drill the hole clean and retap the thread, i actually broke one EZ out in a stud. the stud was totally siezed in the head. this is a very very labor intensive job. it takes a lot of skill to do this correctly. so it's your call if u want to try it...all i can say is good luck.

Originally posted by David
Just ask for new studs for your model, the ones you get will be the ones off the ZX300 Twin Tub and the label will have the word Turbo in it. No matter how strong it is, resist the temptation to use it as a badge on your boot.

Whether it's easy or not depends on how brave or mechanically competent you are. And where they've broken off. Could be enough of a stump to grab with Molegrips.The stump might be flush with the cylinder head. A bastard to drill out. I believe you call it a Milwaukee drill, or something. 90 degree bit allows you into tight corners

You'll also have to undo the other studs to remove the manifold to get at the broken ones. (That's not meant to be sarcasm, just a warning. The "healthy" studs might break when you try undoing them).

Best of luck. (Oh and I'm not proud to admit I put it in the shop to get mine done...)
Old 06-15-2001 | 06:15 PM

Around how much would that job cost ?? I think that mine are broken and they make my car sound kinda crappy....Just wondering....