3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cam Shaft Seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 PM

Cam Shaft Seals

OK so I've been working on a 93 SOHC for a couple weeks now and it's driving me insane. OK so I usually get my discount parts of a website called.. "The parts bin" (www.thespartsbin.com) so i order two camshaft seals from them, installed them... starting leaking in the driveway like 5 min after starting it up. Tore it all down again, the spring on the inside had come half way out. Tried a new set the same kind. Still didn't work. So this time i ordered OEM nissan seals from the dealership and a factory timing belt (as the previous one is soaked in oil now). The nissan seals have little groves around the outside edge, the aftermarket ones didn't, thinking this was going to fix them I installed them again. 5 min later... starts marking my driveway again. I even had to make a custom tool to get these suckers in properly.

Anybody else had this problem? Remedies?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM

sounds like the seals are getting ripped somehow or something.... what "tool" did you use to install the seals??? you may have bent the seals or somethingtoo... they have to go in evenly on all sides
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM

yes they are in evenly. Use a 2 1/2" piece of 1 1/2" pipe with a washer and bolt that screws into the cam. I can't imagine a much better seal installer.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:47 PM

Are you greasing them real good before installing? I had similar problem with crankshaft seal...you have to rotate as u install and make sure inside lip does not fold backwards while setting it. Also you may have scratched the camshaft or the seat when removing the old ones.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM

how rough were you while taking the old seals out, as the post above me said, you may have scratched something, causing a leak
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 PM

The original old ones were quite a B*tch to get out, but i did inspect everything the best i could, used a mirror and flashlight and tried to feel it with my fingers.
Yes, the last set folded while installing, so i made this special tool, these went in perfect and i did rotate every quarter turn of the bolt.

the previous two sets were installed with Never Seize (molidium disulfide) aka. MOLY the last set i throughly cleaned the metal then used some mobil one synthetic thinking that might have been a reason for it to leak.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jaye_96Max
The original old ones were quite a B*tch to get out, but i did inspect everything the best i could, used a mirror and flashlight and tried to feel it with my fingers.
Yes, the last set folded while installing, so i made this special tool, these went in perfect and i did rotate every quarter turn of the bolt.

the previous two sets were installed with Never Seize (molidium disulfide) aka. MOLY the last set i throughly cleaned the metal then used some mobil one synthetic thinking that might have been a reason for it to leak.
Both camshaft seals and the crankshaft seal were a pita to get out on mine but I took my time and fabricated a removal tool out of a small flathead screwdriver. I sharpened the tip and rounded it off so I would not damage anything while popping them out.Was it leaking before you changed the camshaft seals? maybe it is your crank seal that is leaking? anyway..take your time..if you feel any nicks in the metal you can sand them down with some 150 grit followed by some 400...everything has to be really smooth or they will leak. Good luck
Old 04-25-2006, 07:06 AM

Yeah, I originally thought it was coming from the crank pulley, so that was the first seal I replaced, the old one that came out was a little stiff, but still doing it's job. Went ahead and put the new one in, and it doesn't leak. I guess i'm gonna have to double check and see if there are scratches. Just kinda odd that both leak, not one or the other.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I originally thought it was coming from the crank pulley, so that was the first seal I replaced, the old one that came out was a little stiff, but still doing it's job. Went ahead and put the new one in, and it doesn't leak. I guess i'm gonna have to double check and see if there are scratches. Just kinda odd that both leak, not one or the other.
How far did you push them in? Thgey have to be pretty close to flush but be carefull! you can push them in to far and they will fall. I put mine flush and make sure that little spring band does not fall off or they will leak also..
Old 04-25-2006, 11:16 PM

maybe i'm pushing them in too far, i pushed them in about... 1/4" past being flush maybe a tad more. Is this too far? are they supposed to be just flush with the casting?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe i'm pushing them in too far, i pushed them in about... 1/4" past being flush maybe a tad more. Is this too far? are they supposed to be just flush with the casting?
no I did the same and that worked for me. I would use oem seals and put just a little lube on them to get them to slide in. ALso chekc the cam area where the seals seat for rough spots