3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Unorthodox Ruins Motors??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

Unorthodox Ruins Motors??

I have an Unorthodox Pulley (currently for sale) that I was going to install, but decided not to when I saw that the stock pulley has a huge rubber bushing around it to reduce vibration and dampen engine torque. Am I correct in thinking that making this switch could lessen the life-expectancy of my engine? I would imagine that that dampener takes the brunt of alot of would-be twistie forces and other physics stuff. Let me know if it's no big deal and should just install it.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Just install it mang...It wont hurt the motor...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:20 PM

well think of it this way, car engineers don't put anything on the engine that they don't feel is necessary. make sure if u are going to install one, install one that has a harmonic balancer or you may risk engine damage from thing such as spinning crank bearings. here is a website talking about it (for dodge) http://www.team3s.com/FAQudp.htm might help anyway

BTW the unortodox underdrive pulleys ARE NOT harmonic balancers.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I've read several conflicting articles on the udp,some say it caused damage and some say they have ran them for many thousands of miles without any engine problems at all...

I have never heard of maximas having internal engine damage from a udp...
Old 05-26-2006, 11:24 PM

Great. After i just gone and bought an ASP UDP you went and made me all nervous
Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by traxtar944
I have an Unorthodox Pulley (currently for sale) that I was going to install, but decided not to when I saw that the stock pulley has a huge rubber bushing around it to reduce vibration and dampen engine torque. Am I correct in thinking that making this switch could lessen the life-expectancy of my engine? I would imagine that that dampener takes the brunt of alot of would-be twistie forces and other physics stuff. Let me know if it's no big deal and should just install it.
As stated there's nothing to worry about so go ahaed and install it. For the many Maxima owners (3rd, 4th, 5th+ gens and myself included) who have been using an UDP for many years there's nothing to worry about. Of course there will always be exceptions to the normal (your Dodge article for example) but if UDP's were such a problem in the industry, the makers would stop making them because no one would be buying them regardless of which make/model you have.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:07 AM

i have had mine on for over 2 years no problems. and oh yea, for anybody who happens to be worried because they think this has anything to do with a crysler product. remember this saying in many mechanic circles. "crysler products make mechanics alot of money" . still being serious, i wouldnt be worried. but correct me if im wrong, isnt it because of the design of domestic engines there is a high requirement for harmonic balancers. i thought i read that somewhere, im not sure
Old 05-27-2006, 06:29 AM
STFU n00b!

I've had an ASP UDP on my Maxima for over 5 years and 70,000 miles.. Along with a Fidanza flywheel to lighten the other end for the last 40,000 miles. I've also got the same combination on my 240SX with no issues in the last year.

Both of these cars see/have seen heavy road course use.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I've had an ASP UDP on my Maxima for over 5 years and 70,000 miles.. Along with a Fidanza flywheel to lighten the other end for the last 40,000 miles. I've also got the same combination on my 240SX with no issues in the last year.

Both of these cars see/have seen heavy road course use.
Sweet. That's my setup, now i feel better
Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I've read several conflicting articles on the udp,some say it caused damage and some say they have ran them for many thousands of miles without any engine problems at all...

I have never heard of maximas having internal engine damage from a udp...
The problem normally comes from people installing the wrong harmonic balancer behind the UDP on small blocks, maxima's it's not a problem. (iirc, internally balanced vs. externally balanced)

I ran a UDP + Fidanza for over 2 years, only problem was it was too much fun to drive
Old 05-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Alex_V

Most (I dont know if all their engines are) of nissans engines are very well balanced and matched. Alot of engine vibration comes from the pistons, rods and crank being out of balance. The better you balance these parts, the less vibration you will have. SBC's and other v8's have 8 pistons and rods and a very large crank shaft, making it expensive to balance the millions of v8's that have been made. The harmonic balancer is just a easier fix then balanceing every thing.

~Alex

Old 05-28-2006, 07:44 AM

I have a UDP installed and have had no problems thus far...What makes our engines less vulnerable to the stresses that are allegedly created by a UDP?
Old 05-28-2006, 03:24 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxitech
I have a UDP installed and have had no problems thus far...What makes our engines less vulnerable to the stresses that are allegedly created by a UDP?

Superior engine ...

Seriously though,some engines rely heavily on the harmonic balancer to help balance the crankshaft,by design...
Old 05-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Alex_V

Like I said for us...nothing. Nissan takes alot of time to blance our motors much better then most. this also makes it easy to rev them really high

~Alex

Old 05-28-2006, 09:40 PM

6 grand isn't what I would consider high-revving, but it's still a sweet motor.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

I does? My VE pulley is all steel. Even the 4-gen+ pullies only have a very, thin piece of rubber. And it's sandwiched inbetween the inner/outer pulley pieces (ie.. 2 pc construction)

Originally Posted by traxtar944
Old 05-28-2006, 10:09 PM

6 grand isn't what I would consider high-revving, but it's still a sweet motor.
VE's redline at 6600ish stock, and even with a JWT still make power above that.

Regardless I'd rather take a flat 5500rpm engine over a peaky 7000rpm motor.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Alex_V

VGs can rev further, but its just pointless the sohc's anyway. I was referring to nissians other motors like the VE,VQ,RB,SR that can rev beyond the factory redline pretty reliably. my KA can rev to 8K (I dont but theres no rev limiter only a 117mph governer) But I dont.

~Alex

Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I does? My VE pulley is all steel. Even the 4-gen+ pullies only have a very, thin piece of rubber. And it's sandwiched inbetween the inner/outer pulley pieces (ie.. 2 pc construction)
1. he has a VG so maybe the pulley design is different.
2. I could have sworn that my stock VE pulley had a rubber in it (I'll have to look at it eventually, I still have the one from my old gray max)
Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 AM

Just to throw my 2 cents in...I've ran UDPs on my NX for a long time and more recently on my Maxima w/ no problem. I beat on both of them. As a general rule, Japanese engines are built to higher standards than an old SBC etc. My friends at the machine shop that have internally balanced many many engines say that the Jap engines have very little room for improvement as far as balancing. It's a different story with the domestics. I think that UDPs are plenty safe for a Jap engine and getting the weight off the crank with a light flywheel and pulley has benefits as well. I'm not saying the domestic engines are bad, just that they have more of a need for an external balancer to keep their bottoms happy.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:27 PM

60000 miles with an underdrive pulley on my VG no problems. and for the last 15k miles ive been reving it to 6500 on almost a daily basis now that i make power up there. I would not worry one bit about puting an underdrive pulley on. It will only rev faster and get better milage.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
60000 miles with an underdrive pulley on my VG no problems. and for the last 15k miles ive been reving it to 6500 on almost a daily basis now that i make power up there. I would not worry one bit about puting an underdrive pulley on. It will only rev faster and get better milage.
What have you done in the last 15k miles that allows you to rev it to 6500?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:10 PM

I had almost 40K miles on my UR UDP on my 3rd gen...not one prob. The auto trans died first.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally Posted by BuckFutter
Great. After i just gone and bought an ASP UDP you went and made me all nervous

I put mine on at 95K and I am now at 200K. My opinion is that having to turn less weight with every rotation INCREASES the life of the engine, not decreases.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 AM

What have you done in the last 15k miles that allows you to rev it to 6500?

this... http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/maxmax.../ph//my_photos
Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 PM

How does the UDP affect the A/C and stuff? Does it blow slower or something? >_<
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Frakk2000
How does the UDP affect the A/C and stuff? Does it blow slower or something? >_<
Honestly.. it really doesnt seem to effect anything. the only time you ever notice it is if you almost stall it or something similar which causes your RPM to dip below 500, your headlights dim a little... No batterylight or anything. This is one of those mods that you wonder sometimes why nissan didnt designe it like that factory. Better mileage, Better for you assesorys because there turning a little slower, and a bit more horsepower.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
Honestly.. it really doesnt seem to effect anything. the only time you ever notice it is if you almost stall it or something similar which causes your RPM to dip below 500, your headlights dim a little... No batterylight or anything. This is one of those mods that you wonder sometimes why nissan didnt designe it like that factory. Better mileage, Better for you assesorys because there turning a little slower, and a bit more horsepower.
The one thing about manufacturers, they know not everyone is going to drive the car the same way. Not everyone is going to maintain the engine the same way. Some will use regular gas on a daily basis then drive a steep incline on a hot day with the AC on. With that, they have to design a car/engine that can meet everyone standards. As far as I can tell there has been no manufacturers that have installed under drive pullies as standard equipment. With that being said, there must be an under lying reason why the engineers haven't done so.

I did a before and after charging system test when I installed my UDP. Nothing changed, the alternator voltage and amperage output remained the same, both at low and high idle. I also had a mild stereo system hook up for the before and after test and all the numbers remained the same, even with the system cranked up.

Initially I did notice it effected my AC system, but only in traffic on very hot humid days. Several years later I find myself turning my blower motors to the lowest setting whenever the AC is on because it gets real cool in the cabin, and I've never had tints since day one with a black leather interior.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by CandiMan
The one thing about manufacturers, they know not everyone is going to drive the car the same way. Not everyone is going to maintain the engine the same way. Some will use regular gas on a daily basis then drive a steep incline on a hot day with the AC on. With that, they have to design a car/engine that can meet everyone standards. As far as I can tell there has been no manufacturers that have installed under drive pullies as standard equipment. With that being said, there must be an under lying reason why the engineers haven't done so.

I did a before and after charging system test when I installed my UDP. Nothing changed, the alternator voltage and amperage output remained the same, both at low and high idle. I also had a mild stereo system hook up for the before and after test and all the numbers remained the same, even with the system cranked up.

Initially I did notice it effected my AC system, but only in traffic on very hot humid days. Several years later I find myself turning my blower motors to the lowest setting whenever the AC is on because it gets real cool in the cabin, and I've never had tints since day one with a black leather interior.
Fully agree
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM
I love lamp.

I had my UDP for over a year with no major issues. I did notice some issues with the alternator charge when I have lights, fans, and the stereo blaring. Otherwise no problem at all.

S