3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

starting issue???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 07:20 PM

starting issue???

well, a buddy of mine has an '89 GXE auto and he told me that when he starts the car when cold it will start and drive but when he shuts off the engine and tries to start it up again the car will just crank and not start but if he lets it sit for a good 30 min. and try again then it will start. he changed fuel filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor and air filter and it still does the same thing. i explained this to my buddy whose a Nissan Tech and he said that it can be the fuel pressure regulator or a fuel injector that might be stuck open and just dump fuel into the cylinder banks??? what do u guys think???
Old 05-27-2006, 10:08 PM
mod or sell?

a fuel pressure check is needed
Old 05-28-2006, 05:50 AM

im gonna go ahead and check this out today with him and try and figure it out but i have to c where i can get the tool to check how much fuel pressure is goin' into the engine.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:13 PM

well, i ended up goin' back to check out the car again and tackle this starting issue. durin' the process of me tryin' to figure out what the hell was causin' the problem i remember that my '93 had a similar problem right after i swapped in my low mileage engine. of course i first pulled the code(s) from his ECU and ended up gettin' a code 13 or 23 i think it was. i looked in the book and it was for the coolant temp. sensor so of course i went to the sensor and inspected the connector and i found green corrosion in it. i then decided to unplug all the injector connectors and found the same green corrosion. i know this is a common problem on our 3rd gens so i also remember my friend tellin' me to use battery acid and a small brush to clean the green corrosion off the connectors. i went ahead and cleaned it off and let it dry and crimped the female connectors just a bit to give it a little tight fit before i reconnected the coolant temp. sensor and injectors. once all was connected i started the car and told my friend to drive around for a little bit and then he came back and i told him to shut it off and start it again to c if it happened again. apparently it didn't do it again so i kept on shuttin' it off and turnin' it on over and over again to make sure. he was happy cuz i fixed the problem that he thought would cost him an arm and a leg to fix but didn't. will be doin' a timin' belt job for his car just like i did with his dad's '94. what a way to earn money in a 3-4 hour job. lol!!!