3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tire Wear

Along with the 5-speed swap and koni/eibach setup I put on this spring, the car also got some new 17" wheels and rubber. After about 5000 of driving, I rotated the tires.

The front tires are more noticeably worn in the middle and especially the inner sides. It is the same on both tires, they mirror each other in terms of wear. With the exception of one control arm, the whole front end is new! And I have had a proper alignment. So what's the deal?

My old tires exhibited the same type of wear, but that was with old front end parts and riding on stock suspension. I can't afford to be replacing 17" tires anytime soon, so please help me out!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:56 AM

they might not have aligned the car right... i woiuld take it back........tell rthem it has only been 5000 miles and maybe theyll do it again at a discount, or for free???
Old 06-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Getting back to his roots

When did you get the alignment? I have heard that you should get the alignment a few weeks after you install a new suspension, to give it time to 'settle' into its natural position (new components). If you got it done the day you did the swap, maybe it is already off?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:09 AM

have you been going off-roading?????
Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 AM
LvR

the car also got some new 17" wheels and rubber
What is the new wheel offset characteristics when compared to an original Max rim?

Size of the rubber?

Screwing with non-std offsets and rubber widths can cause some real funky wear characteristics because you are effectively altering the steering/suspension geometry, so that even if you have set it to the recommended standard settings, there can be no guarantee that tire life is going to be optimal - and neither will road-holding/grip ...................... your wear pattern already is telling you that.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:37 AM

don't have the size off the top of my head, but they are very close in size to the stock setup. rims are 2003 maxima se rims, which are somewhat wider. should I take it back to the place where I got it aligned and get them to do it again?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:41 AM
LvR

To be honest - if I were the guy I would refuse to do the job if I can prove that the Nissan specs have been followed and can be confirmed by independent measurements ......................

Its very easy to setup an alignment machine, in a straight line, to pre-determined specs supplied by the manufacturer while the vehicle is std - anything else, and I bet he will not be able to do much about the situation without a lot of experimentation at your rubber's expense.................

Nothing prevents you from trying though.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I miss my VE

I guess there are certain allignment shops who have more experience then others dealing with lowered vehicles, etc. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
When did you get the alignment? I have heard that you should get the alignment a few weeks after you install a new suspension, to give it time to 'settle' into its natural position (new components). If you got it done the day you did the swap, maybe it is already off?
I don't know how realistic this idea can be since my tires started wearing unevenly since day one after putting in new struts. Unless you have a crappy pair of tires to throw on and some time and money to waste, I really don't see how your average guy would accomplish that.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:02 AM

I am taking it in to the shop tomorrow to see if they will realign the front camber. The suspension was pretty fresh when I had this done. All I know is, 17" rubber is pricey!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Took it back to the shop today, they readjusted the toe-in. Will be driving it 500 miles home tomorrow. Then from there to Indy and back the next weekend. We will see how the tires hold up.
My long-time mechanic back home told me I could come in and use a bay at his garage on tuesday to fix the manifold studs. So FINALLY I can get the engine running at its full potential!