3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clear headlight film to protect wades???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:07 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

Clear headlight film to protect wades???

I just started therealgoon's headlight conversion, and was worried that the plastic wade covers won't stand up to harsh weather and bugs and such. Does anyone know of a company that makes a headlight film to fit the covers? I found a site that sells film in sheets of 8X27 inches but they're like $60 bucks. Thats more than I spent on the wades. Just lookin for some good info. Thanks!

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/produ....cfm?id=103742

This would work technically....but Then there would be a line where it ends. No good!

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/produ...source=froogle
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM

i'm surprised goonage hasn't responded to this. i'd think the covers should be fine, they're designed to hold up to the elements. as long as nobody puts out cigarettes on them or something. but bugs and weather shouldn't cause a problem. sticking some film on them might backfire. if you ever take it off, it might leave glue residue on the plastic covers which would be a pain to get off. i'd be more worried about scratches than bugs that you can just wash off.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

i would worry about rocks, that can crack em, are the wade covers thin???
Old 08-04-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
i'm surprised goonage hasn't responded to this. i'd think the covers should be fine, they're designed to hold up to the elements. as long as nobody puts out cigarettes on them or something. but bugs and weather shouldn't cause a problem. sticking some film on them might backfire. if you ever take it off, it might leave glue residue on the plastic covers which would be a pain to get off. i'd be more worried about scratches than bugs that you can just wash off.
Didn't want to say anything because I thought it would be silly to protect .. Headlight protectors.

You can always refinish clear plastic.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 PM

yeah thats what I was thinking....lol. Protecting headlight protectors seems redundant. But when the protectors ARE your headlights...well thats a different thing. When you have $200 headlights (or $150 in our case)....the protector is cheaper to replace than the light itself. Plus it just snaps off. But for goon and me, the protector is silicone sealed in place and water tight...so it's not going anywhere. I'm mostly worried about hazing, small scratches from dust on paper towels and things like that. Plastic like that is really sensitive to dust scratches. Kinda ironic since it's supposed to protect the headlights. It's ALOT easier to scratch than glass, and I think even a bug at 90mph would put a nick in the finish. Maybe I'm wrong though. I did already notice that a quick once over with glass cleaner and paper towels left swirl mark type scratches in the clear plastic, thats what got me concerned in the first place.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by traxtar944
yeah thats what I was thinking....lol. Protecting headlight protectors seems redundant. But when the protectors ARE your headlights...well thats a different thing. When you have $200 headlights (or $150 in our case)....the protector is cheaper to replace than the light itself. Plus it just snaps off. But for goon and me, the protector is silicone sealed in place and water tight...so it's not going anywhere. I'm mostly worried about hazing, small scratches from dust on paper towels and things like that. Plastic like that is really sensitive to dust scratches. Kinda ironic since it's supposed to protect the headlights. It's ALOT easier to scratch than glass, and I think even a bug at 90mph would put a nick in the finish. Maybe I'm wrong though. I did already notice that a quick once over with glass cleaner and paper towels left swirl mark type scratches in the clear plastic, thats what got me concerned in the first place.
After I wash the car, I use a mequires plastic polish or somthing. I recently try some 'Ice' Really make them shine.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by traxtar944
I think even a bug at 90mph would put a nick in the finish.
bugs dont do 90 mph, neither should you
Old 08-05-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
bugs dont do 90 mph, neither should you
aww common....simple physics. A car going 70 hitting a bug going...i dunno...however fast bugs fly......will equal the total speed between the two. I'm not saying I drive 90 mph. But maybe sometimes I do.....I'll never tell.