3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

quick question about intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

quick question about intake manifold

Hi,

I just took the intake manifold off on my VE as I head towards replacing the valve cover gasket on the rear cam. I noticed that the gasket on the intake manifold also didn’t look too good, had some cracks etc... should this be replaced as well while I have it off or will it be fine as long as I put new seal on it? This gasket is only for temperature insulation and not oil or anything so it should be fine right? What kind of seal would go on it, the silver? I wish I hadn’t forgotten about that gasket before I started.

Also, what else should I do while I have it off? Is it worthwhile to try to clean inside the intake? It has a fairly thick layer of black "stuff" on it. So do the insides of the engine where it connects.

Seeking advice and general suggestions while I have it all off. I'm going back to the car now to work on that valve cover gasket, thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

anytime you pull a part that has a gasket you need to replace it.

Are you talking about the upper IM to lower IM gasket (redish brown thin gasket) or the gasket from the lower IM to the heads?

The upper to lower IM gasket is cheap but the lower gaskets are a little expensive.

If you are that far into it you might as well replace the knock sensor. My guess is that it hasnt been replaced and it is something that makes a difference in performance and driveability. My KS checked out good but when I pulled it out it was cracked pretty bad and was probably getting a lot of false readings...I am glad I went ahead and changed it.

but the main thing is to replace gaskets if you take them off...if you dont you will have vacuum leaks which will cause problems.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:04 PM

Its the reddish brown thin one from the upper IM.

I just finished putting in the new valve cover gasket, not enough time left in the day to assemble everything anyway so I'll try the local nissan dealer for the gasket and the KS tomorrow, I guess they will give me the "goo" I need for the gasket as well.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-30-2006, 05:18 PM

Oh snap! That knock sensor is an expensive little doodad, maybe later.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:53 PM

If you get the Nissan gaskets, you don't need any sealant on the intake manifold or intake plenum gaskets. The valve cover gaskets need some in just a few places ( where timing chain cover meets head and 1/2 moon camshaft endseals). The intake plenum gasket (red one) does more than insulate the plenum. It provides the vacuum seal for the intake. If this gasket isn't good, you'll have vacuum leaks with the acompanying fun with loping idle, stalling poor power and other opportunities to tear your hair out.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM

I put the valve cover gasket seal all the way around, did the same on the front when I changed that one a couple months ago. No leaks so I guess either way works.

A lot of my hair-tearing-out has been with the hoses on the IM. They are all brittle and crack or just don’t want to slide off, and there are so many its incredible that they are all needed and that the system couldn’t be simpler in some way. Picked up some new hoses though so assembly should be easier than the disassembly.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 PM

FINISHED!

And it even runs, go figure. I actually realized that there was an error in my terminology, I didnt take off the entire intake manifold, I took off the Plenum. The gasket for it was fairly hard to get a hold off, considering Houston is a very large city, I had to call 3 Nissan dealers before I found a place that had any and even they had just 2.

My advice to anyone who plans to do this someday for the first time and might be reading this: get new hoses before you start and just replace them all. I replaced like 6 because they cracked during assembly.

One of my valves is knocking hard because of what I suspect is the VTC issue thats common, so a new KS or an old KS probably wouldnt make any difference.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 PM

Valves tick and rods knock. You may try a BG flush and a fresh oil change and see if that remedies the problem. The statement "anytime you pull a part that has a gasket, you need to replace it" does not always hold true. Some gaskets can be reused to cut down on time and money, but on our engines, most of them do need to be replaced.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 PM

^^^ in ur sig...1989 Maxima VG33e LSD...is that a joke/dream/fantasy??
Old 08-01-2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by aminus21
^^^ in ur sig...1989 Maxima VG33e LSD...is that a joke/dream/fantasy??
Right now it's running like a joke(vacume leaks). I work too much to mess with it(or any of my cars) a lot. My dream would be getting a gt40r strapped to it.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
The statement "anytime you pull a part that has a gasket, you need to replace it" does not always hold true. Some gaskets can be reused to cut down on time and money
sure if you like taking short cuts and having problems later.

The only parts I would reuse gaskets on is valve covers mainly because most of the time they are reusable. I am sure there are other exceptions to the rule but in general my statement is correct...especially for our cars which is what he was working on.

Intake, exhaust, oil pan, etc etc should not be reused...oh it may work and save you $10 but is it worth it to have vacuum leaks and problems down the road that you have to redo?

Do it right the first time and worry no more. Sorry but I am not going to skimp on gaskets to try and save a couple bucks...just not worth it and although I am cheap (try to get the best deal on everything I do) I will not go that far.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
sure if you like taking short cuts and having problems later.

The only parts I would reuse gaskets on is valve covers mainly because most of the time they are reusable. I am sure there are other exceptions to the rule but in general my statement is correct...especially for our cars which is what he was working on.
In general, your statement does. That's why I said 'does not always hold true'. Most of the time, you are right, but it's not always necessary. I use the copper gasket spray on some IM gaskets and have not had any of them come back, I just have to be observant and careful. He is working on our cars now(what I mentioned), but in a couple of weeks he may attempt something else.