3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shift linkage problem??? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Shift linkage problem??? Please help

This is auto trans. When I start the car and move the shifter to D, it stays at N. And I have to shift to 2 and shift back to D to drive the car. After that, it drives alright. Never slips. R is ok though.

Could this be an trany problem? I recently have a shop replace my front driveaxles. Would that be related? Thanks a lot!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM
NWP Engineering.com

All you have to do is adjust your shifter linkage and probably replace a cheap linkage bushing.

Here is a writeup to replace the bushing taken from Bryan's page, http://members.csinet.net/tisch/maxima/

While you're under the car, adjust the linkage. It's two nuts together that looks just like your throttle linkage adjustment near your throttle body.

-----------------------------

How do I change my automatic transmission bushing? (Posted by Aaron Kimball)

Repair of the shifter linkage bushing. Aaron Kimball provided the great below write-up of the bushing change. Often times the transmission will not engage in gear, despite being put in the "D" position and one will have to tap it back slightly to have it engage. This cheap new bushing will fix the issue. The repair will tighten the shift selector and linkage. Cost of the bushing at a Nissan dealer is $1.50.

Part #: 34552-D4000 Tools: Jack, jack stands or just ramps, 10mm socket, phillips screwdriver, and needle nose pliers

Make sure your exhaust is cool because your hand will be bumping it during the repair. I just put a fan pointed straight at it and the exhaust was plenty cool enough after 10 minutes. Jack your car up or drive it up on some ramps so you can easily get to the catalytic converter part of underneath your car. Get your Phillips screwdriver, a 10mm socket, and remove the heat shield directly above the catalytic converter. There are 5 10mm/Phillips bolts. You might need a universal joint socket to reach a tight place. Now, try to slide the shield towards the rear of the vehicle so that it will expose the 90 degree joint at the bottom of the linkage. If the shield is still in the way, go ahead and remove the bolts on the heat shield directly above the cat-back resonator. Once this is loosened and/or out of the way, then you will be able to get the catalytic converter heat shield out of the way.

Now, get some needle nose pliers and remove the cotter pin that is holding the linkage arm and washers in place. Once removed, note the way the washers go. For me, there was no bushing up there because it rotted off. But if there is, remove the old bushing and clean the area a bit so the new bushing will easily slide in place. I squirted a little brake cleaner up there and wiped it.

Now, put the new bushing in place and put the thin washer on first and then the thick washer next. Then, put the cotter pin back in the hole. This might be a little struggle, but you'll get it.

Now that your done, go through the gears without turning on the engine. Make sure everything is good. Bolt the heat shields back up and you're done.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. Where can I find some pictures of catalyst converter and stuff mentioned here? I looked up Haynes manual. Not too much detail. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:11 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by euphoria
Thanks for the reply. Where can I find some pictures of catalyst converter and stuff mentioned here? I looked up Haynes manual. Not too much detail. Thanks!
I would just get under the car and check it out. You'll understand once you see it.

The shifter itself goes straight down underneath the car and then turns 90 degrees towards the front of the car. Once you pop the heat shield off, you'll see the 90 degree linkage angle. And you'll see everything I am talking about.