3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

15.85 @ 87.83mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 04:18 PM

My best run on Saturday. I like this car!!! It is actually getting faster!
Old 06-25-2001, 07:59 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

dang dude! you just keep on getting lower and lower e.t.'s! you're giving some respect to the VE auto. with some some tranny work (vb mod, and tc) and exhaust, you should be in the 14's. did you do anything different on this run? and are you torque braking off the line?
Old 06-25-2001, 09:59 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

yeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!

VE autos kick ***.. we CAN cut it. You are an inspiration my friend, I feel good about my car now, even though I know it's probably in the high 16s in this condition, but just knowing how good it can be makes me smile Keep modding that thing, we have to see the full potential of a N/A VE auto
Old 06-26-2001, 07:55 AM

Re: yeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Keep modding that thing, we have to see the full potential of a N/A VE auto
Well, the rest of the exhaust(I have the greddy cat back) is coming soon, like the Y and the RT cat...

I am trying to get a hook up on the PR CAI since I have some $hitty JWT Poop charger.

I want 14's I will get them!!!
Old 06-26-2001, 10:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by James92SE
dang dude! you just keep on getting lower and lower e.t.'s! you're giving some respect to the VE auto. with some some tranny work (vb mod, and tc) and exhaust, you should be in the 14's. did you do anything different on this run? and are you torque braking off the line?
No offence and not to rain on anyone's parade, but 14s are still WAY off in the distance. He's almost in the 15.9s. It will take a bunch more torque and hp to shave 1 second off his et. Trap speeds are a very good indicator of potential et. His nearly 88mph trap speed (with fwd) suggests mid 15s. Even with the all the mods listed (vb, tc, full exhaust), the VEs lack of torque, especially wiht a auto is a huge problem in getting off the line. Without a strong launch (2.2s and below), you won't be seeing low 15s or 14s.

Dave
Old 06-26-2001, 11:20 AM

i got that number from don in texas' vb mod that can reportedly take .5 off your e.t. along with protorque's tc, which quoted me many times, at least .6 off your e.t. .5 + .6 = 1.1 seconds. 15.9 - 1.1 = 14.8 thats where i got my numbers from. give or take a tenth or two. the tc will help getting off the line tremendously, that wont be an issue. and the vb mod will also help tremendously. i'd say .5 off your e.t. with the vb mod doesnt sound too far off. the vb mod is good for at least .3 probably more. he could always add a upd, ecu, y-pipe, cai, etc. 15.9 is an excellent time considering everyone has the VE auto listed at 16.7 in the 1/4 mile. either way the VE auto is very capable to get into the 14's, believe it or not.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
No offence and not to rain on anyone's parade, but 14s are still WAY off in the distance. He's almost in the 15.9s. It will take a bunch more torque and hp to shave 1 second off his et. Trap speeds are a very good indicator of potential et. His nearly 88mph trap speed (with fwd) suggests mid 15s. Even with the all the mods listed (vb, tc, full exhaust), the VEs lack of torque, especially wiht a auto is a huge problem in getting off the line. Without a strong launch (2.2s and below), you won't be seeing low 15s or 14s.
Dave
Sorry Dave, but you did offend me. Most of the guys on this board are willing to lift a fellow Max driver to go beyond what should be possible for the car... I don't like the fact that you had to say those things, I don't care about reality. I want to get to the 14's and nothing will stop me... especially the doubters. My car is capable and I will post the time slip once I get...

On the top of that timeslip it will say: To the doubters, let it be known. The true unadulterated power of the VE!

I know that my car is an auto, it's a four door, and I am pretty sure that all of us know that the Maxima is not meant to be a sports car... but... this is my goal, and never underestimate a goal. I will be in the 14's.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am going to surprise you Dave.
Old 06-26-2001, 12:46 PM
Ford Only.

Congratulations,I am an auto too.I remember when you were at 16.1 now 15.8 keep on going man you can be into the 14's in no time.You still have a bunch of bolt ons you can do.I really need to get my as* out to teh track and see what I can do.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Congratulations,I am an auto too.I remember when you were at 16.1 now 15.8 keep on going man you can be into the 14's in no time.You still have a bunch of bolt ons you can do.I really need to get my as* out to teh track and see what I can do.
Thanks DMontz... That is the kind of encouragement we all need.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Ford Only.

No problem dude,I know how hated auto's are on the boards.But they really ought to be respected man.You know an auto is only around a sec. off from a 5 speed.Which is OK considering the cruising factor! You are cruisin you dont have to shift and your hand is free all of the time so you can keep it on the chick in the passenger seats thigh Plus throw a Torque Converter on and you really are almost right up there with a 5 speed.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:56 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Dirksmoothe

Sorry Dave, but you did offend me. Most of the guys on this board are willing to lift a fellow Max driver to go beyond what should be possible for the car... I don't like the fact that you had to say those things, I don't care about reality. I want to get to the 14's and nothing will stop me... especially the doubters. My car is capable and I will post the time slip once I get...

......I am going to surprise you Dave.
I don't try and knock anyone down and I'm not an auto "hater". I just think 14s are a bit too optimistic. 14s aren't impossible for an auto VE, but seeing that you're still very close to 16s, the 14s are WAY off in the distance. What are your 60 foots? The problem with the VE is that it is low on torque compared to the VQ. Mod for mod, a VQ will always make about 15fwtq more than the VE. The 3rd gen is also about 120lbs heavier. There is only one auto Max that has hit 14s NA and that's Don. His Max has some MAJOR work. The other 4th gen autos with all the boltons (VB, y-pipe, i/e) are in the mid to lower 15s. I don't see how an auto VE with a TC, VB, I/E, and ECU will hit 14s without a major diet (rice gutting), full slicks, and a VERY loose unstreetable TC. With all the mods you'll be pushing 160fwhp and 170fwtq. That ain't enough with an auto high rpm V6 and a 3150lb car.

The VB and TC won't give a 1.1 second drop in et. A torque converter is a torque multiplier. The "loosest" converter you can get will be about a 2800 rpm stall. Any looser then you car will be very sluggish around town and going up hills. The TC advantage is only apparent at WOT from a stop. It doesn't out perform the 5 speed. The 5 speed can be launched and modulated at any rpm. The auto is still limited to the TC. All the VB does is firm up the shifts. It won't lower et .3 of a second. READ the "up to" part of the ad. In a 1/4 mile race, your car is only shifting once. I doubt the 1-2 shift lasts that long.

Dave
Old 06-27-2001, 10:31 AM

I don't try and knock anyone down and I'm not an auto "hater". I just think 14s are a bit too optimistic. 14s aren't impossible for an auto VE, but seeing that you're still very close to 16s, the 14s are WAY off in the distance. What are your 60 foots? The problem with the VE is that it is low on torque compared to the VQ. Mod for mod, a VQ will always make about 15fwtq more than the VE. The 3rd gen is also about 120lbs heavier. There is only one auto Max that has hit 14s NA and that's Don. His Max has some MAJOR work. The other 4th gen autos with all the boltons (VB, y-pipe, i/e) are in the mid to lower 15s. I don't see how an auto VE with a TC, VB, I/E, and ECU will hit 14s without a major diet (rice gutting), full slicks, and a VERY loose unstreetable TC. With all the mods you'll be pushing 160fwhp and 170fwtq. That ain't enough with an auto high rpm V6 and a 3150lb car.

The VB and TC won't give a 1.1 second drop in et. A torque converter is a torque multiplier. The "loosest" converter you can get will be about a 2800 rpm stall. Any looser then you car will be very sluggish around town and going up hills. The TC advantage is only apparent at WOT from a stop. It doesn't out perform the 5 speed. The 5 speed can be launched and modulated at any rpm. The auto is still limited to the TC. All the VB does is firm up the shifts. It won't lower et .3 of a second. READ the "up to" part of the ad. In a 1/4 mile race, your car is only shifting once. I doubt the 1-2 shift lasts that long.

Dave

the 1-2 shift in an auto VE is very very long and sluggish. i truly do think the vb mod will take off that much on the time. exactly: "The TC advantage is only apparent at WOT from a stop." thats all we need it for, to get off the line, to put us in 5spd territory. off the line who's to say it wont outperform the 5spd? i dont think any VE auto guys have a higher stall TC, so nobody can say for sure. if we get the right stall speed, it will give us an excellent launch, while the 5spd guys are losing traction and getting wheel hop. i'm sure the VB will lower e.t. .3 of a second probably more. i dont know if you're familiar with the tranny resistor under the hood of the VE auto? well, unplugging this this resistor gives the tranny more line pressure, about 20 psi more. similar to what the VB mod does. this isnt that safe, however, but, i tested doing this and consistantly took .2 off my 0-60 time! now, the VB mod will give even more line pressure than that, and if that little test took .2 off my 0-60 time, i'm sure the VB mod will take off more than .3 of my 1/4 mile. i understand the torque and hp advantage of the VQ, its a darn good engine. but we have VE auto's, and that's what we're gonna work with, and we will hit 14's. i'm not trying to flame you dave, just telling my opinion. if we cant be optimistic then what are we working towards? keep it up dirk
Old 06-27-2001, 01:22 PM

Dave
Okeydokey Dave, keep it up...

Maxima.org, give me a year, you will see a 14! And dave, your little notice of futility is annoying at best.

Hell, we went to the moon. Don't underestimate my willingness to do everything in my power to prove you wrong.

I will get into the 14's.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:58 PM

Ummm I think Dave was right

Its almost been a year and you don't run 14s now . I guess Dave was right last year .

Maxima.org, give me a year, you will see a 14! And dave, your little notice of futility is annoying at best.

Hell, we went to the moon. Don't underestimate my willingness to do everything in my power to prove you wrong.

Look what I found by accident using the search
Old 06-21-2002, 09:08 PM

need an update

how about an update on those 14's. I'm pushing for you man...did you get there? It has in fact been a year. I have an auto too and need some inspiration!
Old 06-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Dave
FYI... Aaron ran a 15.44..VE auto, I/Y/UDP...stock catback...advanced timing @ 89 mph. VB..catback and a better launch (i think 2.4 60 ft on that run) can pull 14's
Old 06-21-2002, 09:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Ummm I think Dave was right

Dave is still not right. Give me a year and I will hit 14's. VE Auto's represent. Ok Nismo87SE... post here in one year.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Ummm I think Dave was right

Originally posted by Aaron92SE
Dave is still not right. Give me a year and I will hit 14's. VE Auto's represent. Ok Nismo87SE... post here in one year.
archive mode...*check*
Old 06-21-2002, 09:43 PM

its great that hes getting good 1/4 times but...thing is, will the tranny hold up to these alterations/mods in the long run? The VE auto trannys are weak enough as it is
Old 06-21-2002, 09:46 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Maximan190
its great that hes getting good 1/4 times but...thing is, will the tranny hold up to these alterations/mods in the long run? The VE auto trannys are weak enough as it is

VE trannies arent' as weak as a VG tranny...
Old 06-21-2002, 09:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: need an update

Originally posted by KJ2THEMAX
how about an update on those 14's. I'm pushing for you man...did you get there? It has in fact been a year. I have an auto too and need some inspiration!
Nope, I think his tranny went and it wasn't worth it to fix it.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

VE trannies arent' as weak as a VG tranny...
That hurts man....that really hurts. Can I help it if my tranny sucks?
Old 06-21-2002, 10:01 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I sure hope so. I have 115K miles right now. It shifts great now, knock on wood. I can officially say that I have shaved one full second off my 1/4.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:12 PM

you can do it!!!

for all of you shooting for 14's to shut these non positive maxima drivers up, go jack some happy gas from one of those slow civics hook it up make a run then post
Old 06-21-2002, 11:20 PM

Aaron ran a 15.4 the other day in his auto.

All he has is CAI, UDP, and a Y...

I'm pretty sure Dirk started having alot of tranny problems a while back. Havent seen him post much.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by James12345
Aaron ran a 15.4 the other day in his auto.

All he has is CAI, UDP, and a Y...

I'm pretty sure Dirk started having alot of tranny problems a while back. Havent seen him post much.
how did you pull off a 15.4 with just the cai/y/udp?
Old 06-22-2002, 08:44 AM
NWP Engineering.com

All I have is APC cone filter, Y, and UDP. That's it so far. My car ran 16.70's with just cone filter, but that was in Vegas at over 2000 feet. I added a Y-pipe and then ran my car again, I ran a 16.34. Then, added UDP, ran a 16.14. Then, I moved to NC where it's sea level, then ran a 15.74. I advanced my timing and ran a 15.50 at the same track I ran the 15.74. Then, I went to a different track in slightly hotter weather, but, my engine was a little colder this time and I ran a 15.44. That's where I am today.

Everytime I go to the track, I have beaten my previous personal record. But, I won't go to a track unless I seriously think I am faster. Cause this time when I went to Fayetteville Drag Strip, i had to same mods, but I cleaned my TB and it started idling smoother. Plus, it was a stickier track, so I knew there was a chance that I could beat my record. I won't go back to the strip until I get a new mod or it gets below 50 degrees.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:35 AM

Saw it with my own eyes. After both our cars heated up Aaron and I ran about the same times and I have a stock 5 speed. His auto launches perfectly.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:29 PM

All I have is APC cone filter, Y, and UDP. That's it so far. My car ran 16.70's with just cone filter, but that was in Vegas at over 2000 feet. I added a Y-pipe and then ran my car again, I ran a 16.34. Then, added UDP, ran a 16.14. Then, I moved to NC where it's sea level, then ran a 15.74. I advanced my timing and ran a 15.50 at the same track I ran the 15.74. Then, I went to a different track in slightly hotter weather, but, my engine was a little colder this time and I ran a 15.44. That's where I am today.

Everytime I go to the track, I have beaten my previous personal record. But, I won't go to a track unless I seriously think I am faster. Cause this time when I went to Fayetteville Drag Strip, i had to same mods, but I cleaned my TB and it started idling smoother. Plus, it was a stickier track, so I knew there was a chance that I could beat my record. I won't go back to the strip until I get a new mod or it gets below 50 degrees.
Ahh, I thought you had a CAI...

Well you really need to go CAI then, you'll gain some more low end over the HAI. The difference is pretty darn noticeable. To be honest I felt the CAI more then I felt the Y-pipe. I mean you can really feel it. Mostly on the bottom end, and then right after it shifts into second, it doesnt have that drop in power and just continues to pull and pull.

Probably drop another tenth or two as well. It's really worth $150 or so!

Annnnd believe it or not but a good suspension setup will help you drop some time too...
Old 06-22-2002, 03:00 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by James12345

Annnnd believe it or not but a good suspension setup will help you drop some time too...
Cool, I might have to do the CAI someday. And yes, a good suspension will always help in the 1/4 mile. My car won't raise up nearly as high when I launch if i can get some good springs.

The mods that I am thinking about still doing in the future are: CAI, catback, VB mod, springs and struts, and light wheels with 205/50R15 drag radials just for the drag strip. I might add a high stall torque converter also. That should be 14's easy, especially with colder weather.

I ran my 15.44 with 70 degree weather.
Old 06-22-2002, 03:13 PM

since when was the 3rd gen heavier than the 4th and 5th gens?

Old 06-22-2002, 10:31 PM

Wow thats great. I gotta work on mine because im completely stock performancewise and i keep getting ~9.5 - 10 sec 0-60 times I dont want to start any modifications when im not running the best i can stock. And I have no VTC trouble, all oil changes done on time, tune ups, new gas filter, TB cleaning, all well maintained; I even put in some fuel system cleaner still no luck
Old 06-23-2002, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

good info here, but the one thing i have always wondered is why autos always seem to b slower than mine (stock) as i ran a 15.9 here in florida, or maybe that has something to do with it cause florida is as close to sea level as you're gonna get. i did advance my timing, but it didnt help really...but the main thing i did was move the throttle position sensor. it was by accident at first, but now every time i go to the track i more it back up so the car idles high and shifts late. i ran once in "pu$$y mode" as i call it and ran mid 16's...so maybe all the autos should move their tps? of course this is only for racing b/c if u try shifting from park to drive, ect to car really eats itself
Old 06-23-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Maximajism94se
good info here, but the one thing i have always wondered is why autos always seem to b slower than mine (stock) as i ran a 15.9 here in florida, or maybe that has something to do with it cause florida is as close to sea level as you're gonna get. i did advance my timing, but it didnt help really...but the main thing i did was move the throttle position sensor. it was by accident at first, but now every time i go to the track i more it back up so the car idles high and shifts late. i ran once in "pu$$y mode" as i call it and ran mid 16's...so maybe all the autos should move their tps? of course this is only for racing b/c if u try shifting from park to drive, ect to car really eats itself
you mean adjust the screws on the throttle cable to tighten it?
Old 06-23-2002, 05:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

you mean adjust the screws on the throttle cable to tighten it?
I think he might be talking about turning the crank angle sensor in order to advance the timing. When I advanced my timing, it knocked off .23. Pretty good for a free mod.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:21 PM

Re: Ummm I think Dave was right

this is great...i saw this post...

Okeydokey Dave, keep it up...

and i thought, ok, i'll come back in a year and see what's up...then i saw this post right after it...
Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Its almost been a year and you don't run 14s now . I guess Dave was right last year .
and i just started cracking up...
Old 06-23-2002, 09:38 PM

Re: Re: Ummm I think Dave was right

This thread makes me feel better about buying a auto VE Thank you and Good times.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Maximajism94se
Well when you move the tps, it will change the setting for the 'closed throttle position switch' which is built into the tps. when the 'ctps' is turned on (below 900rpm when set properly) it tells the computer to give less gas to the injectors. But you can set the switch lower so that it never gives less gas (only unless the idle drops below the specified setting). This will of course waste gas, but for racing its fine. Also when power braking this will do the same thing, without having to adjust the tps (so long as the idle is above ~~900rpm).
But I dont think ideally adjusting the tps will help, b/c it will affect the air/fuel mix and you'll make the mix too lean, and then there will be pre-ignition.

back in nov. of 01, I ran a 16.3, since then I've done a ton of tune up work and I know there is a big difference since then. I hope to hit the track in the next two weeks. Also the y and udp will be installed in the comming weeks. So I'm looking forward to low 15's
Old 06-25-2002, 11:07 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by eric93SE
back in nov. of 01, I ran a 16.3, since then I've done a ton of tune up work and I know there is a big difference since then. I hope to hit the track in the next two weeks. Also the y and udp will be installed in the comming weeks. So I'm looking forward to low 15's
Are you a VE Auto?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:07 PM

Are you a VE Auto?

ummm....ya. why else would I be posting in this thread

I'll be getting the proto type udp from UR this week. I'm looking forward to it. I wish they would let me install it myself, b/c they are a bit incompetant with basic stuff like properly tightening belts. I told the guy, and I said I hoped he didnt overtighten the pulley bolt (I bet he did) as well.

Quick Reply: 15.85 @ 87.83mph