3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

yay somebody hit me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 03:36 PM

joy, somebody hit me in the parking lot today. It was a lifted Bronoco or something the other, he backed straight into me, it pushed my driver side headlamp back into the engine compartment, it didn't shatter. He also broke my driver side corner lens and my driver side turn signal.

I was wondering, do you think there is any structural damage? it wasn't a fast backup, he did it slowly, but the light got pushed back, so I was curious if there may be any damage and how much it would cost.

I think I may buy some clear conrners now but how much do OEM parts cost about? thanks!
Old 10-16-2000, 03:46 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

thats sucks!! i wouldnt think there would be any structural damage but you might want to measure just to make sure nothing is knocked out of wack.
Old 10-16-2000, 03:50 PM

I took a measure, and the driver side headlight is pushed back a few centimeters. I don't know if this will cause any structural damage, the car backed into me at like 5mph..so I wouldn't see why there would be any.
Old 10-16-2000, 04:25 PM
STFU n00b!

there is <I>probably</i> no structural damage, maybe just the light brackets and "flimsy" parts under the body that hold the lights in place..

did it bend up your fender too? check very carefully to see if it did.. if it broke your corner lamp, then it probably slightly bent your fender.

OEM parts are not cheap.. you can buy a set of Clear corners for the same price ONE new OEM corner lamp assembly will cost you. you shouldn't need a new headlight, but you'll probably need the mounting brackets and stuff...

What I'd suggest doing is to get an estimate from a body shop using all NISSAN OEM parts (don't let them price cheapo aftermarket stuff), and get a part list from them (if possible.. some shops like to charge $10-40 for an estimate like that don't waste your time with those guys.)

Now that you have a parts list, price all the parts at Courtesy or other parts place.. add in about $20-25/hour for your labor if you were to do it all yourself..

now send both of these "estimates" to the guy or his insurance company, and let them send you a check for whichever they decide.. (they'll most likely choose to pay you, since your estimate will be much lower and they don't have to deal with a shop.. write one check and they never see you again. try to work it out with a body shop and t's tied up in months in paperwork)

blah blah blah..

now that you have all this cash in your pocket, go to a salvage yard and yank the needed replacement parts off a dead-max for about $25- all except the clear corner.
Now call up courtesy and buy clear corners from them..
you're up a couple hundred bucks, and you fixed it all yourself.

Old 10-16-2000, 06:41 PM

sounds good. the only thing I'm wooried about is now my headlight is loose, and it's a further back than the other one, there's a gap when I close my hood. I'll get some digitals up soon.
Old 10-17-2000, 06:00 PM

horray! body shop number one, $900.00...i'm glad i didn't hit anyone...b/c they hit me...do i still have to pay a deductable?
Old 10-17-2000, 07:28 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Same **** happened to me..

Only difference is that my headlight was shattered and pushed in, corner was cracked and needed to be replaced too.
My headlight was jammed into the engine bay a couple of inches, whats funny is there was no damage to the bumper or hood. Anyways, when I got the checking what the hell was up, the metal panels in the engine compartment which the headlight is attached to were bent a bit, not really detectable by the eye, but when I got a replacement headlight and corner, after removing the other assembly and attempting to put the new one in, the parts were not all fitting well together and my headlight was sunk in the engine well no matter how I adjusted it. It almost seemed as if the right fender was slightly bent though its not really seen. Me and my dad fixed it all using a strong cable and a jack. Basically tied the cable to the jack and the jack to a cement rail by my house, tightened it up and just bent 2 panels back in place.
I can't believe they said 900$ thats crazy sh*t. THe new aftermarket headlight and corner cost me like 175 for the two, work took about 3-4 hours. If and when u remove the headlight assembly, try to compare the parts that it was attached to, to the other headlight, see if there is anything bent severly. I don't suppose its that bad. good luck
Old 10-17-2000, 07:48 PM

I would do the work..but it'snot my fualt..some other guy is paying for insruance ;p
Old 10-17-2000, 08:42 PM
STFU n00b!

no, you don't have to pay the deductible.. the other guy has to pay for everything since it's his fault.

well, the point is you can get the check from tne insurance company for the $900... then you go and buy the part yourself for ~$200.. fix everything yourself and pocket $700. it's perfectly legal too.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:55 PM

hrmm...so how do I claim this with insurance then? I thought I had to go to the body shop, get the bill, then send the bill to insruance b4 they paid?
Old 10-17-2000, 09:02 PM
STFU n00b!

I did this a few years ago.. worked out fine with me, but it sometimes depends on the insurance company..

you get 2-3 body shop estimates, then make up some kind of "formal" estimate of your own, including any prices you can get on parts (use all OEM parts since they're the most $$.) then add in money for your labor.. present it with your other estimates, then tell them you'll do the work yourself if they are willing to just give you the check..

then you go buy salvage yard parts for 1/4 the cost, and pocket the rest.
Old 10-17-2000, 11:24 PM

hrmm sounds good. i'll try that
Old 10-17-2000, 11:33 PM

hrmm, is there any way I could get my insruance money for OEM corners, and buy clear ones? I would like to buy the clear ones now instead of having to buy a OEM and hten a NEW clear corner set