3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Problem regarding clock

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:48 AM

Problem regarding clock

Ok I just checked today. Went to drive my girlfriend back to her place and then checked the voltage at home before going inside at 9 PM it was at 12.97 V. When i woke (7h30) up it was at 12.60V this morning.

Is this powerloss expected or not? I lost about 0.3V in 10 hours and a half and regarding the dim light i can rememeber that when giving signs of dimming the AMB and Off button usually fades before the clock starts to fade. Voltage always seems to stick around 12.90- 12.80 V when i stop the car either with the sound system on the ride or not a sound during a 30 minutes ride. Am I worrying too much for a faulty clock & light bulb in the AC panel or is it really a power short-faulty grounding? Need your opinion badly.

I'll try to get a picture of the clock when it's dimming . . .
Old 09-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Sarault
Ok I just checked today. Went to drive my girlfriend back to her place and then checked the voltage at home before going inside at 9 PM it was at 12.97 V. When i woke (7h30) up it was at 12.60V this morning.

Is this powerloss expected or not? I lost about 0.3V in 10 hours and a half and regarding the dim light i can rememeber that when giving signs of dimming the AMB and Off button usually fades before the clock starts to fade. Voltage always seems to stick around 12.90- 12.80 V when i stop the car either with the sound system on the ride or not a sound during a 30 minutes ride. Am I worrying too much for a faulty clock & light bulb in the AC panel or is it really a power short-faulty grounding? Need your opinion badly.

I'll try to get a picture of the clock when it's dimming . . .

as I said in the other post if its only your clock and a button or two on the ACC then its not a major problem...dont make a mountain out of a mole hill.

replace the bulb in the ACC...I will post pics of the back of the ACC on where to replace the bulb later as well as a part number for the bulb if no one else does. Also resolder the clock connections.

I promise there are a million others with the clock dimming problem as well as bulbs going out in their clusters.

If ALL interior lights dim at the SAME time then you have an electrical problem but if its just a couple of things doing it at once then dont worry about it and just replace the faulty bulbs/resolder parts.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 AM

Thank you! Time and money saved! I'm not an elite solder . . . do you know any place I could find help and I'm looking forward for your help regarding the ACC bulbs 'cause I can do that myself. For the clock i'll try to clean it first and check if it helps.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Lives in a Maxima

Craig Brace has a nice write-up (though complicated) on fixing the dim clock issue. Hopefully someone else with chime in with a link.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Phoenix
Craig Brace has a nice write-up (though complicated) on fixing the dim clock issue. Hopefully someone else with chime in with a link.
I already did in his last thread. I just have to dig up the link to my pics of the ACC and the bulb part number. I am going out of town now so it will be late or tomorrow morning.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Here is a post I made a while back that has the pics plus the bulb part numbers.

just an fyi...if you donate you can search and find many answers just like I did here to find my old post.

I will look and see if I have an extra clock I can fix and sell to you for a decent price. It may be the end of the week before I ahve a chance to look though.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

oh and its normal to lose small amounts of voltage because even when the car is off the battery is being used to supply small amounts of voltage to certain things. The ECU, clock, radio and other stuff is supplied with small amounts of voltage in order to keep its memory.