3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Opinion

I have a 93 maxima Se. It seems to have a vibrating when I accelerate. Also it makes a loud noise around the middle to front of my car. I went to Midas today and the rep told me that its the center pipe. I looked in the manual and the only thing I could compare is the Muffler Assembly pipe. I apparently has a hole or a slit somewhere on it. Either in the front or back of it. I honestly cant take the vibrating sound and feel. He quoted me 160 dollars to fix it. Then I went down the street and went to Monroe muffler. He called out 360 dollars to fix it. Im still wondering what they are going to do differently. I called a good friend that mess with cars and they informed me that I can get either a fiberglass type tape to tape up both ends and that should fix the problem. I am open for suggestions from you pro's. What route would you go?

Old 09-30-2006, 05:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like your flex section is bad....Do the $160 deal.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Way out West

It sounds like your y-pipe is bad, probably the flex section like greenmax said. I would recommend you NOT just wrap it. Even having the flex section cut out and replaced might not be that wise. It is likely you have more rust and for just a little more you can have the pipe replaced with one that will increase performance.

check www.warpspeedperformance.com and scroll down to the Maxima stuff.

I don't think they have the $160 deal anymore (check the group deals section, though), so it will cost about $200. I think that price is actually cheaper than buying an OEM replacement y-pipe.

Usually a decent muffler shop will charge you about $50 to $100 to install it, although a lot of members (including me) have done it themselves. The bad thing is you know you have rust down there, so your bolts might be rusted on.

As for your vibration, that could be a number of things. Your car could need an alignment, you could have a broken tread in a tire or uneven wear, you could have a bad motor mount or a number of engine problems. Since I can't see exactly what you mean by "vibration" it is hard to tell exactly.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I also have a "slit" on mine as well as I was telling GreenMax earlier and I'm thinking of replacing entire Y pipe..I removed one today from the junk yard while pulling out my future 5speed tranny and it wasnt that bad even though it was rusted to crap. Sorry to hijack but while on subject...my flex pipe looks brand new and shiny but the part right in front of it toward the engine is slit and ugly looking is there a way to get the other part without the flex at a cheaper price? I hope its not my studs...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:29 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
It sounds like your y-pipe is bad, probably the flex section like greenmax said. I would recommend you NOT just wrap it. Even having the flex section cut out and replaced might not be that wise. It is likely you have more rust and for just a little more you can have the pipe replaced with one that will increase performance.

check www.warpspeedperformance.com and scroll down to the Maxima stuff.

I don't think they have the $160 deal anymore (check the group deals section, though), so it will cost about $200. I think that price is actually cheaper than buying an OEM replacement y-pipe.

Usually a decent muffler shop will charge you about $50 to $100 to install it, although a lot of members (including me) have done it themselves. The bad thing is you know you have rust down there, so your bolts might be rusted on.

As for your vibration, that could be a number of things. Your car could need an alignment, you could have a broken tread in a tire or uneven wear, you could have a bad motor mount or a number of engine problems. Since I can't see exactly what you mean by "vibration" it is hard to tell exactly.
http://www.internetautosupply.com/ca..._934_1553_1554
Old 10-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Brian -- are you selling an OEM replacement or an improved one, like warpspeed?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:23 PM
mod or sell?

OEM replacement type.
I haven't gotten around to learning how to weld yet
Old 10-03-2006, 10:08 AM

I was wondering whether I should have a guy I know put one together for me. And maybe I just get him the special racing parts or something. What is a good price for someone to do a job of this magnitude.