3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006 | 08:59 PM

Battery problem

Today as I was exiting Best Buy, I went to my car and started it like normal but then something unusual happened... my car wouldn't start. There was no cranking or clicking from the battery or anything just dead silence. I tried multiple times and looked under the hood to see if anything was detached, everything was fine. So I left it alone for a few minutes and then I heard the the door open chime and tried it again but this time I saw lights from the dashboard flicker on then off rather quickly so I knew it was a battery problem. I needed a jump so I asked a security guard and he did it for me and my car started fine. So then I took my car home and left it there for the day, came back later when coming home then started it to park the car in the driveway, I thought the car was gonna be trouble starting but I guess it was okay. Anyways, I park the car then I turn it off but then I notice my indoor lights turn off right away and my seatbelt didnt pull away from me, so the battery died again. I tried again to crank it, So I was thinking I need a new battery, then I got out my car then I remembered I left my sweater in there so I open the door again, but my car lights turned on again and my seatbelt pulled away. I turn on the car again it works again... So now I am confused whats up with my battery with it's on and off problem? Is it just the battery is slowly dying? Or is it something else with the car??

Thx in advance
Old 09-30-2006 | 09:35 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I'm thinking battery posts are internally damaged not making contact INSIDE the battery. I would probably just put in the battery from another car (same or higher CCA) and see if it happens again. If so just take the battery to any chain part store and have them test it, thats just what I would do...hopefully its just the battery and not something more serious.
Old 10-01-2006 | 06:24 AM
mod or sell?

Your car was having a fit because you went to best buy

check your connections at the battery for tightness and corrosion.
Old 10-01-2006 | 05:22 PM

clean your battery posts, get it tested at the autoparts store and wait for it to happen again. sometimes the slightest bit of corrosion around the batt terminal can do that to you. clean the terminals real good. (tooth brush and some soda)
Old 10-02-2006 | 09:29 AM

If I were to buy a new battery, which brand would be best but not too expensive?
Old 10-02-2006 | 05:31 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Infamous93Max
If I were to buy a new battery, which brand would be best but not too expensive?
Define expensive.

I've bought batteries for $13 and thet worked just fine.
I've bought batteries for $80 and it works just fine.

Personally my preference is to interstate and delco
BUT I tend to stay away from mass marketers when it comes to batteries (IE Wal-mart, costco, etc..) they will have a good company make them a crap product just to meet a price point.
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:29 PM

Well, I personally I would go for Optima, DieHard, or Interstate. At work I deal with far too many Driving Force, AC Delco, Motorcraft and Duralast, personally I think all those are crap and they burned lots of holes on my Dockers and Geoffrey Beene pants therefore making me get acid resistant ****ies.

Optima, DieHard, or Interstate all most likely over $100 but well worth it with excellent warranty. I can tell you for sure the optima is at LEAST 119.99 cuz thats the cheapest I've seen but can go up to 169.99 for a Deep cycle yellow top. Hope this helps
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:49 PM
mod or sell?

I paid $18 for my interstate battery
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:54 PM

Bla I paid $40 for my redtop
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I am having a similar problem it started several months back, I tought it was the alternator, whent to the mecanic reparit but this past friday it star started again it died on my it only made a cracking sound change the baterry and it started imendiatly no problem since but i do not know if it is the altenator or something else
Old 10-03-2006 | 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Define expensive.

I've bought batteries for $13 and thet worked just fine.
I've bought batteries for $80 and it works just fine.

Personally my preference is to interstate and delco
BUT I tend to stay away from mass marketers when it comes to batteries (IE Wal-mart, costco, etc..) they will have a good company make them a crap product just to meet a price point.

Well I sure as hell dont want to pay 300 bucks for a battery when another battery that cost 40 can last or even outdo the 300 buck battery. So that's why I am saying not expensive. Thanks for some of the brands though, I will be looking for those today.
Old 10-03-2006 | 02:53 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I paid $18 for my interstate battery
Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Bla I paid $40 for my redtop
I got my diehard for free...
Old 10-03-2006 | 07:08 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I got my diehard for free...
mine was BRAND new from the warehouse. no defect exchange BS. just bought outright
Old 10-03-2006 | 08:24 AM
White_Shadow

You know, yesterday I went to sears to buy a optima yellowtop, and this guy said for my car I should use the red top, and he was selling to me at 175, I said "umm..no thank you" because I know some guys had put some yellowtops on their Maxima's, besides for a red top it was quite expensive, I was planning to buy online but I'm not sure about the fitting size or if I should look for any other specs. The Most important thing for me is getting a good battery that allow me to turn on my audio system with the car off without having to get a jump. suggestions will be appreciate it. Thx!
Old 10-03-2006 | 12:59 PM

I bought a Duralast Gold battery for $85... comes with a good warranty, free roadside assistance and battery replacement for the next 3 years.
Old 10-03-2006 | 01:08 PM

Umm..IIRC Yellowtops are more expensive than Redtops. I've had my redtop for a few months now and my system for 1-2 months now and have NEVER had to jump start and I've left my system on for over 2-4 hours and sometimes 5..so unless you plan on sleeping in your car with the radio on I dont think its necessary.
Old 10-03-2006 | 02:43 PM
White_Shadow

well ok, so it's about the same thing? yellowtops and redtops? do you have and audio system too? I was trying to read some vs. information and find out that they are almost the same, except for the Amps, and improved periods of stand off time on yellowtops, but also better if you have high current accesories on your car. So, still not clear to me, I have:
2 - 12" Kicker subs amp by Performance Teknique 1000w
2 - 6"x9": 460W 5-way pionner
2 - 6.5" 400W Performance Teknique
1 - Audiofonics Amp 1100W
Will the redtop work ok to power this audio system for about 1-2 hours without having to jump-start my car? or should I go for the yellowtop?
oh..almost forgot..what about the size? is it universal? or should be the exact model for my car? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2006 | 04:09 PM

Hmm, dont know about all that...but hey why spend more money on a yellowtop when you can most likely get a redtop and if it doesnt do it for ya then just upgrade and pay the difference. Now just to let you know the redtop comes standard with a 3 year free replacement and the yellowtop is a 1 year free replacement. The size should be comparable to your original battery, I've got a Red75/35 if that helps out for size reference.

Btw yes I do have an audio system but its more basic than what you have. With all those ratings you stated are you referring to watts peak or RMS?
Old 10-03-2006 | 06:03 PM
White_Shadow

hmmm... since this brands are overrated I believe those are peak watts, well the Kicker CV-R says 1000W RMS, but the amps and the speakers are peak I guess, not sure how to confirm that, i'm still learning on car audio, that's why i wasn't so sure about which battery is the best for me. Thank you for the help, I guess i'll be getting the redtop and see if works ok.