3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The dreaded VTX clicks of death...already!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 09:36 AM

I bought my 93 SE about 2 weeks ago now, and yesterday morning, it was quite a cold morning, and raining, much colder than usual. I started it up like every morning, and "CLICK!!CLICKCLICK!!!!!CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK!! !!!!CLICK!!!" for about 40 seconds or so...I have not heard the VTC clicking before, but I am pretty sure that's what I heard...and it happened again this morning, becoming a trend. I am not too happy about this, I've heard it's pretty expensive to fix.

The previous owner said they started clicking on him about 30k miles ago, he just had them rebuilt not replaced; I have all the service records, he got it done at the Nissan dealership. And now they are clicking again ALREADY on me! I spent a pretty penny on this car, can't afford to have them replaced ($1200+ I have heard); but should I rebuild them again, or will they just go again in another 30k? Also, since I just started getting the clicking, how much more life is in them before they totally go? It hasn't happened all day since this morning, when it was a cold start. Even after sitting there 2 hours and starting it again, it didn't click again. ANY help / advice / other drivers' experiences would be a great help to me now! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2001, 09:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

General information is available in the faq that I wrote.

What kind of oil filter you using? Make sure it's the Nissan oil filter designed for the VE engine. It's light gray, not Nissan blue.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:38 PM

if they get totally annoying and driving you crazy i would just ground them...its not worth 1200 to get fixed and the problem will come back....performance wise theres little or no difference with or without vtc workin...theres a good easy how to in the faq
Old 06-28-2001, 12:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nope.
1) Rebuild no guarantee of a permanent fix. But I do have noe rebuilt one that been going since 80k (now as 130k)
2) Replacing assemblies is more reliable IF THE TSB'S HAVE BEEN FOLLOWED.

To flat out say, rebuilding or replacing will not work is incorrect. Rebuilding does have a real bad track record though.

Originally posted by 93 SE
if they get totally annoying and driving you crazy i would just ground them...its not worth 1200 to get fixed and the problem will come back....performance wise theres little or no difference with or without vtc workin...theres a good easy how to in the faq
Old 06-28-2001, 01:08 PM

and because of the rebuilds bad track record...thats why i would not put 1200 or more on it...when you can ground them for free...and put your money towards a future mod or in my case a tranny rebuild....hmmm since its the tiny passages that clog causing the problem you think its possible to make the passages bigger or is there not enough room in the block
Old 06-28-2001, 01:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

Rebilds aren't $1200 usually. Should only be about $800 or so. Replacements are costly but more reliable, if the tsb has been followed.

Yes it's the passages and no you cannot really make them bigger.

It's all in the FAQ.

Originally posted by 93 SE
and because of the rebuilds bad track record...thats why i would not put 1200 or more on it...when you can ground them for free...and put your money towards a future mod or in my case a tranny rebuild....hmmm since its the tiny passages that clog causing the problem you think its possible to make the passages bigger or is there not enough room in the block
Old 06-28-2001, 01:27 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Rebilds aren't $1200 usually. Should only be about $800 or so. Replacements are costly but more reliable, if the tsb has been followed.

Yes it's the passages and no you cannot really make them bigger.

It's all in the FAQ.

What's the FAQ?
Old 06-28-2001, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

What's the FAQ?
Old 06-28-2001, 03:34 PM

lordrandall

are you buying udp from jibaromax....you know it doesnt really give you much power ...you should save your money
Old 06-28-2001, 04:28 PM

fix?

is there any way to fix the VTC? what my mechanic previously thought was lifter damage is in fact VTC clatter. its got 146K and dont know how long its been clicking. but it only does it when its been sitting for more than 15 minutes, the colder it is, the longer it clicks.
if i were to somehow flush my engine with clean oil, would i be wasting time money and oil or would it do something?
just speculating
Old 06-28-2001, 04:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: fix?

*sigh* :bawl:

Originally posted by MaDMaX024
is there any way to fix the VTC? what my mechanic previously thought was lifter damage is in fact VTC clatter. its got 146K and dont know how long its been clicking. but it only does it when its been sitting for more than 15 minutes, the colder it is, the longer it clicks.
if i were to somehow flush my engine with clean oil, would i be wasting time money and oil or would it do something?
just speculating
Old 06-28-2001, 04:54 PM

Re: Re: fix?

Originally posted by Jeff92se
*sigh* :bawl:

someones getting tired of vtc questions ..poor jeff
Old 06-28-2001, 05:05 PM

Re: fix?

Originally posted by MaDMaX024
just speculating
i recommend you try this
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/vtc/vtc.html
Old 06-29-2001, 12:44 PM

Great FAQ

That faq is great, its printed out and in my car's file for when they totally fail. But what I still really want to know that hans't been addressed, is how long on average, after they first start clicking on cold starts only, before they get real bad and there starts to be noticealbe decreases in engine performance at the low end? Weeks? Months? DAYS? Also, would doing an early oil change now that they've started ticking help to prolong their life a bit? Or not worth it?
Old 06-29-2001, 05:55 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

mine are clicking..

But not that loud?!
I can't hear them inside the car but if I get out and stand in front or better yet lift the hood, the freaken thing is beating away hard.... again, it's not loud... if this is infact the VTCs and that is how they tick, it doesn't really bother me. I can live with this ticking.
I suggest you try the grounding dude, not a big power loss if any at all, plus it's free!

Look in upper right corner of screen
Click on "Search"
use it!
Old 06-29-2001, 08:20 PM

Re: Great FAQ

Originally posted by 1993MaxSE
That faq is great, its printed out and in my car's file for when they totally fail. But what I still really want to know that hans't been addressed, is how long on average, after they first start clicking on cold starts only, before they get real bad and there starts to be noticealbe decreases in engine performance at the low end? Weeks? Months? DAYS? Also, would doing an early oil change now that they've started ticking help to prolong their life a bit? Or not worth it?
this is essentially what i'm asking, once they've started ticking, is it possible to bring them back before they tick all the time?
also, i might be up a creek with this whole VTC thing, but it only clicks when its been sitting for more than about 10 minutes between 1000RPM and 3000RPM when i'm accelerating.(the ticking lasts +/- 5 minutes, depending on how long its been sitting) i'm praying this is VTC clatter and not lifter damage(just because i can ground the VTC, lifter damage costs $$$). there is also another clatter all the time but its only audible when the hood is open and you're listening real close but it never goes away.
i said my car was making wierd noises..(these wierd clicking noises along with brake squeek, mysterious ga-lonks from the rear passengers side wheel [bad strut i assume], a soft banging when i accelerate too hard into a turn from a stop[cv axle according to the mechanic, we'll see])
i dont like bad news, but if its lifter damage, at least i'll know and wont go grounding perfectly good VTCs.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:21 PM

Re: mine are clicking..

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
But not that loud?!
I can't hear them inside the car but if I get out and stand in front or better yet lift the hood, the freaken thing is beating away hard.... again, it's not loud... if this is infact the VTCs and that is how they tick, it doesn't really bother me. I can live with this ticking.
I suggest you try the grounding dude, not a big power loss if any at all, plus it's free!

Look in upper right corner of screen
Click on "Search"
use it!
Well I don't know about anyone else's VTC clicking, but mine as LOUD AS HELL inside the car, and only last for between 30 - 90 seconds upon starting the car. They are not cilcking continuously yet, but its still REALLY loud when it does happen. After the car is warm, I can open up the hood and listen to the engine purrrrrrrr. If I try to drive while they are clicking, the engine bogs way down and the car shudders a bit; I usually just sit there in the morning waiting for it to go away before I try to take off from my driveway. It drives totally fine after just waiting for a minute.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:29 PM

Re: Re: mine are clicking..

Originally posted by 1993MaxSE

Well I don't know about anyone else's VTC clicking, but mine as LOUD AS HELL inside the car, and only last for between 30 - 90 seconds upon starting the car. They are not cilcking continuously yet, but its still REALLY loud when it does happen. After the car is warm, I can open up the hood and listen to the engine purrrrrrrr. If I try to drive while they are clicking, the engine bogs way down and the car shudders a bit; I usually just sit there in the morning waiting for it to go away before I try to take off from my driveway. It drives totally fine after just waiting for a minute.
thats another thing, if i drive with the clatter, it doesnt seem to affect anything (exept the usual cold engine bog but if the engine warms a little but not enough for the noise go stop, i dont feel any difference)
please help.