3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Exhaust too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Exhaust too loud?

Just got my car back from the transmission shop (even if it's an autotragic, it's driving the way it never drove before. FAST!) and I've noticed my car is loud. I mean, LOUD. For a little reference, we rebuilt the motor entirely (only thing not replaced were the pistons, camshafts, crankshaft, etc...heads were machined and cleaned though), and all the exhaust studs were replaced. We also replaced the exhaust from the cat-back, and changed the catalitic ourselves. It was a stock piping replacement, with the exception of the HUGE muffler. It was replaced with a magnaflow twin tip. Now, the car sounds beautiful from outside, but it's really REALLY annoying driving. Especially around 3000 RPM's, it's a loud hum inside the cabin. Could it be that magnaflow that's causing a lot of noise? Should I add a second resonator? Maybe change out the y-pipe? (I need an excuse for a warpspeed, of course) Any advice is welcome.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 AM
"and falling like a rock"

My vote is for muffler, or broken flex pipe.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
It was replaced with a magnaflow twin tip. Now, the car sounds beautiful from outside
any chance of you posting a clip of that exhaust?? (from the ouside of course)
ive been dying to hear what it sounds like on a max. either here or youtube or streetfire would be much appreciated :]
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Way out West

what do you mean by "second resonator?"

Unless there is a leak somewhere, it shouldn't be that loud with a resonator and muffler. If you don't have a resonator, I would add one. Open mufflers tend to drone, especially without a resonator and it sounds like droning is your problem.

As for a possible leak, did you replace the O-ring gaskets at the y-pipe connections? It's going to be that or the flex section if it isn't because of the muffler set up.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you think that's loud I should post a sound clip of my winter car...This weekend I decided to go bomb it around on the trails and detached the exhaust at the header, which wrapped around the rear torsion bar dragging and making all sorts of sparks and pleasant noises (another reason IRS FTW!)...Now it sounds like a RACE car!!!LOL
Old 11-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
what do you mean by "second resonator?"

Unless there is a leak somewhere, it shouldn't be that loud with a resonator and muffler. If you don't have a resonator, I would add one. Open mufflers tend to drone, especially without a resonator and it sounds like droning is your problem.

As for a possible leak, did you replace the O-ring gaskets at the y-pipe connections? It's going to be that or the flex section if it isn't because of the muffler set up.
I meant by adding ANOTHER resonator. I'm thinking it could be the flex section on the y-pipe, even though the y-pipe was replaced several years ago with an oem aftermarket one. I'll probably use that as an excuse to get me a warpspeed y-pipe.

Originally Posted by maxitech
If you think that's loud I should post a sound clip of my winter car...This weekend I decided to go bomb it around on the trails and detached the exhaust at the header, which wrapped around the rear torsion bar dragging and making all sorts of sparks and pleasant noises (another reason IRS FTW!)...Now it sounds like a RACE car!!!LOL
Oh, I know how loud it can be open header. We took off the cat when we needed to replace it (had to wait for it to come in) so we fired it up. MAN it sounded so nice, even though I couldn't hear anything else.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The warpspeed y will make it even louder.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by maxitech

I had dual 3" exhaust with short (old school 2 chamber) flomasters and turndowns just past the muffler (in front of the rear axle) on my Chevelle at one time. It was completely legal but I got pulled over by a cop that passed the other way and turned around to come get me. He didnt give me a ticket because it was legal but he tried to give me a hard time about driving it through a neighborhood at night (about 11 p.m. or so)...for the most part he was cool about it and said it sounded good but asked if I would like to be asleep and hear it coming down the road haha.

I used to set off alarms from parked cars when I went by...I loved it.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM

i have the setup u want and its stupid loud.... magnaflow does sound good but i definately need to resonate my exhaust
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM

I think i have the same exhaust setup w/o resonator (just put in last friday) and it sounds amazing and it isnt louder than when i had my old gay fart can resonated... so this should be a normal sound that you are expirencing.

Alex

[Also note i have an unrestricted y-pipe so mine should be louder... but then again i have subs and **** to drowned out the exhaust sound]
Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm still going to check the flex section when I can for any leaks. I know it'll be loud, since the Magnaflow doesn't really muffle any sound compared to the stock muffler, but it can't be THIS annoying. It's an unbearable loud hum from 3000 RPM on, but once you let off the gas, it's SUPER quiet. I was also considering using that exhaust wrapping. It's supposed to reduce in cabin noise too. I'd love to just dynomat the whole damn car and not hear anything, but I haven't got the time or money for that.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM

Go With greddys sp2 cat back system it not too loud and not too quiet, but has a good deep throuty sound to it. the problem my be a broken flex pipe like mention or bad resonator. And also you have to remember that your car is an automatic the sound is always louder vs manual cuz with a manual you have control over the engine speed.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
Go With greddys sp2 cat back system it not too loud and not too quiet, but has a good deep throuty sound to it. the problem my be a broken flex pipe like mention or bad resonator. And also you have to remember that your car is an automatic the sound is always louder vs manual cuz with a manual you have control over the engine speed.
Well, I'd love to buy a GReddy cat-back, but my exhaust is already brand new. I'm not going to pay for another one. The only thing I'd replace on my exhaust is my y-pipe, and or my muffler. Can anyone suggest another muffler that has a nice throaty sound, but won't leave my ear's bleeding when I'm driving?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well, I'd love to buy a GReddy cat-back, but my exhaust is already brand new. I'm not going to pay for another one. The only thing I'd replace on my exhaust is my y-pipe, and or my muffler. Can anyone suggest another muffler that has a nice throaty sound, but won't leave my ear's bleeding when I'm driving?
Dynomax super turbo is pretty nice. It will have a little droning as well if you dont have a resinator.

I have 2.5" exhaust, new cat and resinator and I have a little noise in the car BUT I have no door panels or rear seat in the car. I hope the little bit of noise I have now will go away when I put my interior back together.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Michael
Dynomax super turbo is pretty nice. It will have a little droning as well if you dont have a resinator.

I have 2.5" exhaust, new cat and resinator and I have a little noise in the car BUT I have no door panels or rear seat in the car. I hope the little bit of noise I have now will go away when I put my interior back together.
Well if that's the case, then I shouldn't hear anything at all. I have smaller exhaust piping (2 and a quarter? whatever stock is) with a cat and resonator. I'm going to see if my resonator is bad, or the flex pipe.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM

It's the Magnaflow - I'd be willing to bet we have the same muffler. It sounds good, but resonates in the cabin throughout the power band. When I finally get some time, I'm having it replaced with something a little quieter.

PS - I DID dynamat my whole car, but it had little effect on the muffler/exhaust noise level.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 90pearlSE
It's the Magnaflow - I'd be willing to bet we have the same muffler. It sounds good, but resonates in the cabin throughout the power band. When I finally get some time, I'm having it replaced with something a little quieter.

PS - I DID dynamat my whole car, but it had little effect on the muffler/exhaust noise level.
Dang. And it does sound so good from the outside. But I'm not going to be outside when I'm driving it. So, can anyone suggest a nice sounding twin tipped muffler that won't drive me insane? Mike, can I get a link where you bought your muffler?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Dang. And it does sound so good from the outside. But I'm not going to be outside when I'm driving it. So, can anyone suggest a nice sounding twin tipped muffler that won't drive me insane? Mike, can I get a link where you bought your muffler?

nope because I got it at a local shop. Advance Auto and most other stores carry Dynomax super turbo mufflers as well as Summitracing and others.

They are only about $20-$30 even at the parts stores.

Here is a clip of my exhaust but that was with a different resonator and no cat. Its a little more quiet now but very similar.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:38 AM

Bump! Can anyone else suggest where I can order or get a quieter dual tipped muffler?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Bump! Can anyone else suggest where I can order or get a quieter dual tipped muffler?

here is your problem...if you want a dual tip muffler you are going to have to buy either a factory muffler such as the 2000 up mufflers or you are going to have to buy a straight through muffler which equals to what you have now. Any straight through muffler is going to be loud. Thats why I bought a turbo muffler (S shape instead of straight through) so it will be more quiet.

If you want dual tips and a quiet muffler get the 2000 and up Maxima muffler. They sound pretty much stock though (but have a valve that opens or something under full throttle).

You can always buy a turbo muffler and put a dual tip on it. If done right you will never notice the difference in look.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 AM

go to summitracing or jcwhitney. or even pep boys, autozone and kragens. A bro you have to remember like mention before any straight exhaust system is going to be loud, all that it is inside is baffles and wool (i believe). so your best bet is to go with a Y2K exhaust if you are looking for a quite exhaust. And also vg's and ve's have different exhaust sounds ones a 24v and the other is a 12v two totaly different tones in exhaust.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 PM

Ok, I will most likely end up going for the 2000 Maxima muffler. Will there be any fitment issues I should be concerned about? Also, if I buy an aftermarket OEM spec muffler for the 2000 model, will it still have that valve that opens up at full throttle? Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mines really loud too but i kinda like it