3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

EPROM chip worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

EPROM chip worth the money?

I've seen this on ebay, similar to the JWT chips, but really cheap. Anyone know if this is for real, and what you can expect from a mod like this for power gains/gas consumption increases etc.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200002885712
Old 12-23-2006, 06:46 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I dont know about the product,but the seller a has some shady feedback..I would not buy it solely due to the negative feedback..
Old 12-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Alex_V

Our ECUs don't have any clue what the fuel pressure is. And I doubt any cars from that era did. Id say ebay scam. If you want a chip ask maxmaxima91 to do one for your VG powered max. But since yours is a VE ask Aaron92se. Other then that the best thing to do is get a VAFC.

~Alex

Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 PM
NWP Engineering.com

First off, just like Alex said, you have a VE, which does not have an EPROM to replace.

This auction includes VGs, which do have an EPROM that you must remove by soldering and then install a socket, then install the EPROM. It's not a bad process if you know how to do basic soldering.

But as far as the gains you might see, that completely has to do with the program (bin file) that's loaded on the EPROM. It's all about the tune! And that's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could seriously install one of these chips, step on the gas, and blow your motor if it's a bad tune.

Personally, I would never completely trust what any ebay ad states, especially the import crap!

But if you had a good tune, you can see some decent gains as far as performance. You can get a tune to lean out your fuel mixture on highway trip to improve gas mileage or go the other extreme and drastically advance your timing with race fuel. As far as tuning the VE, good luck.

You can call up JWT and pay a crap load of money for this basic ECU upgrade (one time tune). Or you can wait patiently for something I've been working on for 3 or 4 years now. I don't remember, the years just blur together I've been working on it so long.

It's the Zemulator system, which is made for the z32 (90+ 300zx). It's a full tuning system which allows full control over your ECU. It's very cost efficient and practical since you can tune while you're driving. I am getting CLOSE to getting it to work in the VE. Once I do, it will be for sale to any VE owner out there through AshSpec. And also, a very cheap VE ECU upgrade will be offered too. In fact, the VE ECU upgrade DEFINITELY works now as of a month ago when me and Ash met last. All we have to do now is get the Zemulator software working. And if anybody is interested in purchasing an ECU upgrade from AshSpec, you will have to wait until Ash makes an official VE program that's dyno tuned. This should cost about the same as his other ECU upgrades. $250-300.

The Zemulator for the VE30DE should cost around $600-800.

http://ashspecz.com
Old 12-24-2006, 06:25 AM
mod or sell?

and if you really got $$, AEM makes a VE 5spd ECU that you program from the laptop
Old 12-25-2006, 07:41 AM
kthxbye2u

i know what im doing next year

buying a parts car, fixing my GF's laptop and getting that Zemulator with the parts car money hehehe

but that is IF i find a parts car/ or work my *** off with a second job
Old 12-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

the same seller has the product I'm asking about...the NISSAN ECU CONSULT OBD1 DATA CABLE - MAXIMA

People are recommending the data cable, but not the chip. Can you pretty much just modify your own chip to be like the performance one with that data cable?

Aaron92se, does anyone have a similar ECU program to the one you're making for the VG? Thanks for the help. I think I remember you saying that a VAFC and wideband O2 sensor with controller would be better than this...right?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by traxtar944
Aaron92se, does anyone have a similar ECU program to the one you're making for the VG?
I'm not making a program for the VG. Just the VE. I know JWT has a VG program, but they won't share it with you.

I think I remember you saying that a VAFC and wideband O2 sensor with controller would be better than this...right?
I never said such a thing. A VAFC and wideband o2 won't even do 10% of what the Zemulator does. Read up on the Zemulator yourself at the link I posted above. AshSPEC
Old 12-29-2006, 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=mszilves]I've seen this on ebay, similar to the JWT chips, but really cheap. Anyone know if this is for real, and what you can expect from a mod like this for power gains/gas consumption increases etc.?
QUOTE]

Personally i think those are just as phoney as those intake spiral things that supposably makes a hurricane wind pattern for the air intake, SCAM i'd say.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

when I say better than "this" I mean a chip from that Ebay company....not a zemulator. I'm sure a zemulator would be better than wideband and VAFC. Thanks for the help though. I'm not sure I know enough about engine technical data to create an ECU program...like ideal timing settings and cams and other stuff I don't really understand.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by traxtar944
when I say better than "this" I mean a chip from that Ebay company....not a zemulator. I'm sure a zemulator would be better than wideband and VAFC. Thanks for the help though. I'm not sure I know enough about engine technical data to create an ECU program...like ideal timing settings and cams and other stuff I don't really understand.
I gotcha. But this EPROM chip could be better than a VAFC and wideband o2 sensor. It ALL depends on the program that's loaded on the chip.

But keep in mind that VEs don't have EPROMs in the first place. So it won't work AT ALL. Unless you know how to install a daughterboard, which is a little tricky.

The beauty of the Zem is that you can control almost all the parameters that the ECU is capable of. If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily blow your motor in a few tiny changes. BUT, Ash provides a GREAT writeup on how to tune with the Zem on his website. He takes you through how to tune for fuel and timing. Then how to change injector data. If you can read that document and somewhat understand it, you will definitely be able to tune your car yourself.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was told by a soon to be chip burning/building Altimas.net member that the ebay guy is a scammer and doesn't know what he's talking about....said a bunch of 240 guys have been ripped off...

I was going to do it myself at one time for my modded '93 Altima but am waiting for this member to start his custom chips...

Jeremy