3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need some help on installing the (R) lower arm control

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by bvtran
it seems like you're really stuck badly. sometimes a little frustration can create all kinds of irrational behavior (happened to me all the time, don't worry). I would advise you hook up with someone in your area for help. I wish I'm around there, I could've helped you out but I'm over 3000 miles away

anyway since you also had 4th gen, why don't you seek helps on the 4th gen forum too asking for some dudes/dudelettes to swing by to help you real quick? just offer them a box of beers or something.

I mean, it's just a stupid nut. I got them off with both cord and wireless impact wrenches. There are guys here got them off with all kinds of creative ideas, e.g. racket, pipe, breaker bar, fatso kid, etc... and they all works. I just don't understand your case... Please read my previous post carefully and try again. Patience is key!

yea .....tell me about it don't really know any one in the 4th gen coulmn i hardly even post there.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
yup but if he's determined then he'll get there....but it's tough to find out what we're looking at w/o pics.

not everyone is a born shadytree grease monkey
I now stuff here and there but not much but money can play a serious role here so some things can't be done as you would like them to be done,..
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 PM

it seems like you're really stuck badly. sometimes a little frustration can create all kinds of irrational behavior (happened to me all the time, don't worry). I would advise you hook up with someone in your area for help. I wish I'm around there, I could've helped you out but I'm over 3000 miles away

anyway since you also had 4th gen, why don't you seek helps on the 4th gen forum too asking for some dudes/dudelettes to swing by to help you real quick? just offer them a box of beers or something.

I mean, it's just a stupid nut. I got them off with both cord and wireless impact wrenches. There are guys here got them off with all kinds of creative ideas, e.g. racket, pipe, breaker bar, fatso kid, etc... and they all works. I just don't understand your case... Please read my previous post carefully and try again. Patience is key!

ok thanks for the guidence and some lectures lol. This has been on one side of the car know the strut and control arm are disconnected.I had to go to work but anyways the gun is 450 lb tq so it has two speeds 1 and 2 should i blast it in 1 the lowend muscle or the 2 the fast and maybe an powerful over kill that will grind it or it just has some kind of safety feature loud clicking noise like a shop gun that just over tightned the wheel lug nut' sound..
Old 01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

that click sound is so you dont over torque and strip what you're tightening which in your case its so tight that its doing that
Old 01-13-2007, 12:44 AM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
ok thanks for the guidence and some lectures lol. This has been on one side of the car know the strut and control arm are disconnected.I had to go to work but anyways the gun is 450 lb tq so it has two speeds 1 and 2 should i blast it in 1 the lowend muscle or the 2 the fast and maybe an powerful over kill that will grind it or it just has some kind of safety feature loud clicking noise like a shop gun that just over tightned the wheel lug nut' sound..
don't worry about it....that's normal. I love that machine gun sounds

put it on REVERSE. Just hold the trigger down for 2MINs non-stop!!! lube with pb blaster and blast that puppy again another 2mins.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 AM

don't worry about it....that's normal. I love that machine gun sounds

put it on REVERSE. Just hold the trigger down for 2MINs non-stop!!! lube with pb blaster and blast that puppy again another 2mins.

so today i will blast that thing like crazy will wd40 work?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:09 AM
94c Big Max

so today i will blast that thing like crazy will wd40 work?
go for it. make sure it's on REVERSE before you start Ok cuz 2mins is really long, you don't wanna make any mistake?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:15 AM

go for it. make sure it's on REVERSE before you start Ok cuz 2mins is really long, you don't wanna make any mistake?

So i will wd40 it then i have the thing in reverse all ready and then i will put it in the low end tq side seams more strong but it just jammed there.

i could just spray the wd40 then should immeadiatly pop it off or let it fight a little bite and then pop it off.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:24 AM
94c Big Max

it's a huge nut, just spray and keep moving...no need to wait if you don't see any rust around it.

don't be afraid of damaging your impact wrench, it's still under 90 days money back guarantee. put the darn thing on maximum impact now!!!

slap on your 36mm, hold down the trigger for 2mins non-stop and you should be fine.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 AM

it's a huge nut, just spray and keep moving...no need to wait if you don't see any rust around it.

don't be afraid of damaging your impact wrench, it's still under 90 days money back guarantee. put the darn thing on maximum impact now!!!

slap on your 36mm, hold down the trigger for 2mins non-stop and you should be fine.
all right then this SUCKERS coming off later today
and i will try to take some pics before i take it off i will post later today.thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 AM

I still would recommend PB Blaster over wd40 anyday. WD40 has never worked for me and when it did it was just to quiet down a door hinge from squeaking.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 PM

i wanted to just blast this thing off but it's to tight i have been working on the car for 1hr 30min still nothing i have been using the wd40 still no luck i will keep going at it. i can't do the pics no my sis has the phone.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 AM

I struggled with the gun and took about almost 2hrs of drilling gun was hot a little bite of oil coming from the guns seals nothing major but my hands got very tired i felt like they weren't even there no more(lol). I tried but i could not remove it but then i quickly ran to autozone and got me the black 36mm just like the one showing in the pics (the long one). I quickly came home and blasted for another 4-5mins and then i saw IT MOVE YES.... I BROKE THAT SUCKER OFF... PAIN IN **** BUT I TOOK IT OFF.....YES .

I noticed there that i have ABS so the hub has the wire running through the strut i will look in to that tomorrow. The control arm is another story i will probley take out the wire from the strut does anyone know's where it goes.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 AM

Colombian max post#2 the instructions on the control arm #8 mentioning something about the metal piece in the rubber is that where the bolt 28mm goes through right if so do have a pic of a 91 gxe max thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:20 AM
94c Big Max

Old 01-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Yes the all three pictures show the piece, its the one thats circled on the last two pics and on the top pic its just sitting next to the control arm.

Glad you got that biznotch off, what kind of socket were you using before you bought the black 36mm from AZ?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Yes the all three pictures show the piece, its the one thats circled on the last two pics and on the top pic its just sitting next to the control arm.

Glad you got that biznotch off, what kind of socket were you using before you bought the black 36mm from AZ?

I am glad that I got that bastered off too pain in the ****. I was so mad i even puched the fender.(lol) I was using the 36 mm but not the long one it was cup cake shaped and I also got the long exestention 36mm from auto zone.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Today, I took the ABS sensor that's connected to the upper tower bar running down to the strut down onto the hub that was annoying but i got it and i also took some pics today i wanted to take it with the hub but a pic is a pic. I also started quickly on the control arm loosening the bolt's i have took out the 29mm bolt and there were some other 4 bolts that are 19mm and so on. This is where i am at now i noticed that there's the cross bar or chassy that holds the control arm connects to one side down to the other control arm on the (other side) its' like a bent bike handle or something i have to remove the two screws that are on that bar right...
Old 01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
94c Big Max

I was using the 36 mm but not the long one it was cup cake shaped and I also got the long exestention 36mm from auto zone.
were you drunk?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 PM

were you drunk?

noooooooo...i was not drunk. why were you anyways.
The day the incident happend the next day my friend got the parts for me then he got that 36mm cupcake shaped one not me and he also got the parts off the JY and so on. I was so pissed i did not really knew what i broke so i know my friend who is a drunkie did not really wanted to help out as much i wanted him to do so and i did not now jack about the parts until i surfed the org.and studied abite and figure out things that i am supposed to now so i can do the job right the frist time. So i took matters in my own hands and got things going the way i want them so far.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 AM

So how much left before you can drive the car?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 AM

So how much left before you can drive the car?

I am almost there but i will have to remove one 19mm bolt and the bar that likes like a bent exguast pipe connects to the control arm then goes under neath car threw the otherside of the car and attached to the control arm maybe a crossbar or chassy or something like a sway bar anyways i have some 16mm or 15mm screws to take out then the whole control arm i will have to slide it out but iam not there yet so i also have tooken some pics i tried to load it to the website but i can't i might need help on that too..(lol)
Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM

That thing that goes from one side to the other and is attached to the control arm is your Sway Bar and the piece that holds the swaybar to the control arm is called swaybar link(s) I believe those have a 14mm bolt and you need to use like vice grips to hold the top from spinning so you can loosen the bottom
Old 01-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

dude, believe it or not i have had tried all the mention sloutions in thread like put the rachet on with the long pipe i used the jack's piping it's heavy enough so i jumped on it tell it broke by the tip then i bought the huskey brand torque wrench you all say it's not an ideal tool but it was 250lb tq it took a good beating then the other rachets did it lasted longer then others did then i went to get the gun did not work either plus the car has been down since mid OCT and i did not pay much attention as i am now plus i tried putting the tire down and all of my body into it and have serious body aches (lol). everytime i get some movement the tire on the driverside moves.
i don't know what were you using..but i've never seen the tip of a 1/2 inch rachet break off...at least not a craftsman one.

if you bought a "TORQUE WRENCH" then you bought the wrong thing...then i can see why it broke on you.

there's a good 1000 lbs on that wheel from the weight of the car...if you can make that wheel spin then you're pretty damn strong.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 PM

i don't know what were you using..but i've never seen the tip of a 1/2 inch rachet break off...at least not a craftsman one.

if you bought a "TORQUE WRENCH" then you bought the wrong thing...then i can see why it broke on you.

there's a good 1000 lbs on that wheel from the weight of the car...if you can make that wheel spin then you're pretty damn strong.
The rachets were Craftsman there the 1/2 drive snap-on's there were my friends he had two of them and did the same method and broke the safety lock so it does not just spin freely out of it's gears then i had the cheap one that i bought from Autozone the brand was an Mech Power broke in 2 mins.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 PM

lol yea them AutoZone rachets are for fixing computers...its about the only thing they'll handle before breaking.

whats the status on that so far?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 PM

update.... I have remove most of the screws from the control arm just a 15mm and (2) 19mm screws then i could take that sucker out . I am having problems with sway bar link that connects to the control arm then to the sway bar i think it's that little c shaped clamp that holds the swaybar and the control arm down i removed on of the bolts off but i tried pb blaster but no luck and i am using a Husky rachet with the 15mm but it slips right off and i tried using the vise grip but it's to big is there a smallervisegrip butasstrong or something totake that thing out with. Thanks.

P.S the weather was 65 yesterday today it was 35 freezing hard work in this weather.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 PM

If you are trying to remove the C or U shaped part that holds the swaybar then you've gone too far, you dont need to remove that for the control arm or the swaybar links..at least I dont think so.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM

If you are trying to remove the C or U shaped part that holds the swaybar then you've gone too far, you dont need to remove that for the control arm or the swaybar links..at least I dont think so.
I am taking out the whole control arm that connects to the flexing part like the one you have in the pic but forcept you don't have the blade i think that's what you call it iam taking that out because i can't takeout the rubber that has the middle piece inside of it plus it's messed up very badly badly so i would just take all of that off and put in the other complete set.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 PM

ok so i tried to slide out that flexing part that the on you have in the pic but the problem is that the back bushings are a fat rubber piece and i am trying to brake that so i don't have to put a complete set of the control arm what tool could i use to brake it off. Bytran the link you gave me with control arm pic you took out the front bushings how about the back one
Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 PM

normally old bushings have to be drilled out which is a pain in the *** (PITA) therefore making replacing the entire control arm and bushings easier and cheaper.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 PM

normally old bushings have to be drilled out which is a pain in the *** (PITA) therefore making replacing the entire control arm and bushings easier and cheaper.
yea that's what doing right know but i will have to remove the link and this thing what looks like a cross member or a support bar for the radiator.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM

Alright you lost me there. Anyone else can chip in but I didnt have to remove any of that for control arm. So you want to remove crossmember for what again?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Alright you lost me there. Anyone else can chip in but I didnt have to remove any of that for control arm. So you want to remove crossmember for what again?
I cant really explain it but it's this thin metal piece that has two threads that have bolts and it meets the front frame.I might have over looked it. I will check it out again and let you know what it is. Do you have a diagram of the 91 max viewing the chassies from underneath and what not and i will point it out.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 PM

I was poking around for some info about my current drama with my mysterious front wheel noise problems and ran across this thread.
HOLY CRAP! All this for ONE bolt??? Sheeesh! My crappy 2 weeks of car trouble suddenly doesn't seem so bad after all.

1. Weird driver side 'bed squeak' noise... Hmmm... Brakes? Maybe: Change pads
2. Fine for a day. Squeak returns. Bearing? Nope. Loose spindle nut: Tighten.
3. Fine for a couple of days. Squeak returns. Nut loose again: Decide to replace bearing.
(Thanks for the 'how to' info forums.maxima... You ROCK!)
4. Get a local shop to press bearing out: Find out hub is trashed.
5. New hub from Nissan is ridiculously expensive: Buy whole spindle from junk yard and replace.
6. Fine for a couple of days. Squeak returns.
7. Give up and take it to a shop but they are closed for MLK day.
8. Advance Auto is open so I go crazy and order CV axles, tie rods even a rack and pinion (just in case) to save time for the mechanic having to keep my car for a day waiting on all of these parts.
9. Take it in. Mechanic figures out the problem. Lug nuts are loose: Tighten
10. No squeak (YET!) Sit at home pondering if there is some underlying problem that is causing these bolts to loosen repeatedly.
11. Find this horror story about the 'spindle nut from hell' and find irony that mine came off by turning it with my fingers.

I hope the rest of your project goes a lot smoother... Good luck!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by fulyngu
I was poking around for some info about my current drama with my mysterious front wheel noise problems and ran across this thread.
HOLY CRAP! All this for ONE bolt??? Sheeesh! My crappy 2 weeks of car trouble suddenly doesn't seem so bad after all.

1. Weird driver side 'bed squeak' noise... Hmmm... Brakes? Maybe: Change pads
2. Fine for a day. Squeak returns. Bearing? Nope. Loose spindle nut: Tighten.
3. Fine for a couple of days. Squeak returns. Nut loose again: Decide to replace bearing.
(Thanks for the 'how to' info forums.maxima... You ROCK!)
4. Get a local shop to press bearing out: Find out hub is trashed.
5. New hub from Nissan is ridiculously expensive: Buy whole spindle from junk yard and replace.
6. Fine for a couple of days. Squeak returns.
7. Give up and take it to a shop but they are closed for MLK day.
8. Advance Auto is open so I go crazy and order CV axles, tie rods even a rack and pinion (just in case) to save time for the mechanic having to keep my car for a day waiting on all of these parts.
9. Take it in. Mechanic figures out the problem. Lug nuts are loose: Tighten
10. No squeak (YET!) Sit at home pondering if there is some underlying problem that is causing these bolts to loosen repeatedly.
11. Find this horror story about the 'spindle nut from hell' and find irony that mine came off by turning it with my fingers.

I hope the rest of your project goes a lot smoother... Good luck!

Well that's because the friend of mine worked on the same side with the same incedent and took it to the shop and then tighted the living daylights out of the spindel. Then Da Jav vu then I had to take care of this myself made my job that much harder.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I cant really explain it but it's this thin metal piece that has two threads that have bolts and it meets the front frame.I might have over looked it. I will check it out again and let you know what it is. Do you have a diagram of the 91 max viewing the chassies from underneath and what not and i will point it out.

are you talking about these u shape brackets? those are sway bar brackets/bushing. you shouldn't have to take them off.

this is like heart surgery over the web.
get that camera back asap!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 PM

are you talking about these u shape brackets? those are sway bar brackets/bushing. you shouldn't have to take them off.

this is like heart surgery over the web.
get that camera back asap!
lol ok i have the pic loaded on the computer i tried to copy and paste on the thread but no go . Is there's any way of getting it on the thread l would like to know thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 PM

You'll need to go to a picture upload server such as www.photobucket.com and create an account. Once you've created an account, simply log in and upload pictures into it and then once the pics are uploaded you'll see them in thumbnails...just copy the link that says IMG in beggining and just paste it normally on here.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 AM

You'll need to go to a picture upload server such as www.photobucket.com and create an account. Once you've created an account, simply log in and upload pictures into it and then once the pics are uploaded you'll see them in thumbnails...just copy the link that says IMG in beggining and just paste it normally on here.
I went ahead and registered an account with photo bucket and they were asking for the cell # i don't have a cell for know but i gave my sis cell and as soon as she comes home i am going to down get the secret pin# then load the pic on the org.

Quick Reply: need some help on installing the (R) lower arm control