3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Motor mount blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Motor mount blues

Motor mount blues

So a few months ago I noticed the two lower motor mounts needed to be replaced so I headed over to advance auto parts and ordered some cheap motor mounts. After I got them I was disgustedly surprised to see some of the worst craftsmanship I have ever seen. It’s as though they where made in a sweat shop over in china. The welds where that of a 6 year old and none of the holes lined up. After trying to get it to fit for a few hours and damaging a few bolts/threads I put the old broken mounts back on. I am now looking for someone that has bought there mounts somewhere and know they fit correctly before I go through that again. I am thinking I can go to Oreillys auto parts as every part I have bought from there works so far.

It is the rear motor mount that really needs to be replaced so I was thinking about just welding that one in place. Car has 180k+ miles and things are starting to break left and right.

just found this page.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ByKey...riptionId=2093
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Tom

I am actually just about to take my car in to the shop to get the mounts changed.

The rear left-mount (the transmission mount under the brake master cylinder) was the one that failed on my car. The main engine mounts still look Okay, but I figured I better replace them as a set.

For the engine mounts, these things are on tight. I didn't have problems breaking free the bolts at the bottom of the mounts that go on the center cross-member, but I couldn't get the main bolt off that goes through the rubber mount, even with a breaker bar. I had the car on jack stands, but since the floor jack couldn't lift the car any higher than I needed to get more leverage on the breaker bar, I gave up.

Anyway, I bought my mounts from Napa. They are made in Thailand. The mounts look fine. The prices were in the mid $60 range for each mount with a AAA discount.

As far as fitment, I'll find out in a couple of days when the mechanic tries to install them.

My car has 180K miles as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM

I know exactly what you mean. that top bolt is a ***** and a half. I had to put liquid wrench on it for a while. Just so you know they use some form of locktight on that bolt. I relized that after i got it off it had green plastic on the threads.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
kthxbye2u

i need to replace mine... there not gone... they are going slowley
Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Try napa,they carry beck/arnley mounts..
Old 01-08-2007, 04:06 PM

Try napa,they carry beck/arnley mounts..

So those are both good quality? Have you used them before.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
So those are both good quality? Have you used them before.

No,i haven't had to had buy motor mounts yet,but beck/anrley for the most part has good quality parts...

BTW,if you want to quote a members post,just click the button in the bottom right hand corner,then reply below the persons text..
Old 01-14-2007, 05:24 PM

I ended up getting anker(sp) motor mounts from Orielies and they worked fine. As soon as i took them out of the box I could tell they where much nicer then the POS mounts I got before. When i was down there i noticed my lower tranny mount was cracked though, arg.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

So, how hard is it to install the new mounts yourself? I bought a set of new (cheap) mounts a while ago off of eBay (4 for $99), but haven't put them on yet. I was planning on removing the old damaged mounts, installing the new cheap mounts temporarily, then filling the old mounts with Polyurethane and re-installing them after they harden. I wonder if the labor involved would be too much. Let me know. Thanks.

-Mark
Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
Motor mount blues

So a few months ago I noticed the two lower motor mounts needed to be replaced so I headed over to advance auto parts and ordered some cheap motor mounts. After I got them I was disgustedly surprised to see some of the worst craftsmanship I have ever seen. It’s as though they where made in a sweat shop over in china. The welds where that of a 6 year old and none of the holes lined up. After trying to get it to fit for a few hours and damaging a few bolts/threads I put the old broken mounts back on. I am now looking for someone that has bought there mounts somewhere and know they fit correctly before I go through that again. I am thinking I can go to Oreillys auto parts as every part I have bought from there works so far.

It is the rear motor mount that really needs to be replaced so I was thinking about just welding that one in place. Car has 180k+ miles and things are starting to break left and right.

just found this page.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ByKey...riptionId=2093
I know for most of us, funds is always an issue (at least for me) This Feb. will make a year since I've owned my 93VE5 and I've dumped 4500 of wasted cash just on parts and labor and it's still incomplete and def. not a work of art. I know it's a loss because I'll never recuperate it so I might have the last standing 4DSC.

My latest bill is in the 194.00 range for 2 motor mounts and 1 motor mount bolt and nut from Courtesy Nissan. I could have had them from a myriad of auto stores but choose not to and it's not because I can afford the OEM ones for I'm as broke as they come. However, I've learnt by and large that the dealer parts are SOMETIMES the way to go.It surely does cost more but it's less problematic in the "long run". I think the difference in AVERAGE price per mount is about 20.00. When the labor, time and frustration is factored into the replacement I do bel. it's worth the extra cost.

I've seen one person complain about broken DEALER motor mounts shortly after replacing it in the archives. The others seem to do the polyurethane magic which seem to be durable. However, the Auto Zone and mounts from elsewhere are nothing to write home about in a year's time for they seem to fail ESPECIALLY if your car is a modified VE5.

Lastly, if one is defective and youve been driving around with it for sometime, there's a very good chance that it might break the others (me thinks).

Go the dealer route on some parts or end up redoing it eventually.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrkanda
So, how hard is it to install the new mounts yourself? I bought a set of new (cheap) mounts a while ago off of eBay (4 for $99), but haven't put them on yet. I was planning on removing the old damaged mounts, installing the new cheap mounts temporarily, then filling the old mounts with Polyurethane and re-installing them after they harden. I wonder if the labor involved would be too much. Let me know. Thanks.

-Mark

its a *****. took me 4 hours just to do 2 mounts. I also dont have all the right tools. I had to take off my exhaust to get to the bolts for the mounts also. I still could not get one of the bolts to line up so on my lower rear mount i am missing one bolt. Even after all that i still plan to order another ankor(sp) tranny mount as it looks like it is very easy to get to. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Polyurethane's the way to go

Urethane mounts will give you a great solution for less money. I used 3M Windoweld. Cures in 24 hours. Best way to go is to take the crossmember off with the motor mounts attached. Then take them off the crossmember. Clean with Brake cleaner, and pour the Urethane into the gaps in the old mounts. A piece of foil wrapped around one side keeps the urethane from coming out the bottom. Cure for 24 hours and replace them on the car. I've been driving the car for a year and it's still solid.
Total cost ---about $16.00!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by PaulfromOlney
Urethane mounts will give you a great solution for less money. I used 3M Windoweld. Cures in 24 hours. Best way to go is to take the crossmember off with the motor mounts attached. Then take them off the crossmember. Clean with Brake cleaner, and pour the Urethane into the gaps in the old mounts. A piece of foil wrapped around one side keeps the urethane from coming out the bottom. Cure for 24 hours and replace them on the car. I've been driving the car for a year and it's still solid.
Question on that- I've read somewhere (read up on this in the stickies or other sites a while back) that the mounts should cure for up to a week. Is that true? Also, would they cure faster in an oven? What hardness of Pourable Polyurethane should I get if I don't get the Window Weld variety?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:06 AM

I found these good links. Hey, Admins, will someone put some of these in the stickies so they can be found easier? Thanks.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....rethane+mounts
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Alex_V

I was thinking of getting new mounts and putting some softer filler in there so they would last 200K no problem. Being a 5 speed in the city the engine will definitly be abusing the engine mounts more then an auto would.

~Alex

Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Heh, I purchased a set off eBay for $90. The front mount was the only thing that didn't fit well (because the spacing was not large enough to on the crossmember). Being a redneck, I placed the mount sitting on top of one of the legs of the cherry picker and beat it repeatedly until it expanded the mount wide enough to be able to get on properly. 30K miles later, the motor is still smooth and the mounts are great.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 AM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by PaulfromOlney

How safe is it to do this kinda works? I've heard this method being deployed all the time but how do you get it in there without worrying the engine might drop on top your head?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:08 AM
STFU n00b!

support the engine properly and it's not a problem.

I've been using urethane mounts for years and still have no problems with them.
only big problem I've had is breaking crossmembers from hard shifting.. was probably already damage done from the old sloppy stock mounts tho.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
support the engine properly and it's not a problem.

I've been using urethane mounts for years and still have no problems with them.
only big problem I've had is breaking crossmembers from hard shifting.. was probably already damage done from the old sloppy stock mounts tho.

how do you support it? cherry picker? crane?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 AM
STFU n00b!

read the FSM. there are several pics in there showing how.

(or just stick a 2x4 and jack under the oil pan like me)