3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Testing injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Testing injectors

Can I pull the connectors off the injectors( at least 5 of 6) with the plenum on or do I need to take the plenum off to pull the connectors to test the resistance. VG30 engine

Also how can I check to make sure my connectors are fine.

Also - whats the difference between the dot color on the injectors and is there some list of which cars had which. my car was built in May 93. I bet they were not randomly putting in different injectors.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
what can my max do for me

i'm surprised this thread isn't already flooded with the standard "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" comments.

in any case, i don't have exact dates of production but it seems that earlier 3rd gens had blue dots and newer the black dots. i've read on this board that the 2 differ in some calibration - though nothing specific mentioned - and in the connector design.

that being said, it has always been recommended to never mix dot colors - though again, i've never read why not to do so.

regarding the connectors, they are interchangeable. a blue dot injector will fit into a black dot connector and vice versa. the fact that replacement (not reman) injectors do not differentiate blue or black dot application part numbers is evidence enough of this fact.

from what i've seen, the connectors differ in the way the keep tension on the injector. the blues have a metal spring type interlock and i believe the black has a more common plastic mechanism.

testing:
pulling the connectors is a perfectly acceptable way to note which injector is/isn't doing it's job and to check resistance as well. it's also a great time to clean the connectors and throught some dielectric grease in there.
there is a test port on the vg in the front, driver side corner of the engine - but i am not familiar with the ve. which motor do you have?

hope this was useful
Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 AM

[QUOTE=DaWifey's90]i'm surprised this thread isn't already flooded with the standard "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" comments.

I have run the search function (always do before posting) but theres nothing specific to the questions I asked ( at least not in the first 5 pages of googles list of answers).

Whats a good connector cleaner. I have a few connectors that are caked with hard with buildup and cant get it off with normal electrical cleaner.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:08 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by jimbo2006
Can I pull the connectors off the injectors( at least 5 of 6) with the plenum on or do I need to take the plenum off to pull the connectors to test the resistance. VG30 engine

Also how can I check to make sure my connectors are fine.

Also - whats the difference between the dot color on the injectors and is there some list of which cars had which. my car was built in May 93. I bet they were not randomly putting in different injectors.
you don't know much about production lines do you?
they just grab whatever is easiest, sometimes it would be the rail with with yellow dots, sometimes green dots. they all got mixed together when they made the batches.
the dots probably indicate flow rate tolerance of flow rates
Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you don't know much about production lines do you?
they just grab whatever is easiest, sometimes it would be the rail with with yellow dots, sometimes green dots. they all got mixed together when they made the batches.
the dots probably indicate flow rate tolerance of flow rates
Actually , I do know a lot about production lines - If the parts are interchangeable, then why have two sku's out there and wtf should it afffect the replacement.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 AM
mod or sell?

FLOW RATE
Example: Green dot had to flow between 275 and 265cc, yellow dot flows between 255 and 265cc .
if you mix them you'll lose efficiency.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 AM

When testing injectors what should the resistance be at?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Alex_V

10-14 ohms for the VG not sure on the VE

~Alex

Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Alex_V
10-14 ohms for the VG not sure on the VE

~Alex
Same .
Old 01-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Does anyone know what the resistance should be for a KA24 by any chance?
Old 01-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Nevermind I got it, 11ohms apparently
Old 01-20-2007, 12:59 AM
what can my max do for me

Originally Posted by jimbo2006
I have run the search function (always do before posting) but theres nothing specific to the questions I asked ( at least not in the first 5 pages of googles list of answers).

Whats a good connector cleaner. I have a few connectors that are caked with hard with buildup and cant get it off with normal electrical cleaner.
to clarify, i meant maxima.org's search function - it's nice to support a resource of such information that you benefit from.

as far as cleaning, i just used a metal pick to scrape off the corrosion and then generously applied some dielectric and that yielded a great deal of improvement.

don't sweat the "you don't know much about production lines" comment. with the amount of engineering that goes into a vehicle, it would be laughable to suggest that a line worker just puts whatever is closest especially by a company as reputable as nissan. typical american mentality of what's acceptable to do though - i've seen it at ford and gm...could be why japan is where all the reliable cars come from.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:00 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
to clarify, i meant maxima.org's search function - it's nice to support a resource of such information that you benefit from.
You keep suggesting it to him as if he donated and can put it to good use..