3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Throttle cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Throttle cleaning

I am getting ready to clean the throttle body. All I can see are two bolts holding the elbow that goes to the throttle body. Besides the hoses and the electrical are these the only two bolts that need to be removed?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by jimbo2006
I am getting ready to clean the throttle body. All I can see are two bolts holding the elbow that goes to the throttle body. Besides the hoses and the electrical are these the only two bolts that need to be removed?
I think there are 4 not 2. it's been a while since I've done it.

you probably will not see a whole lot differences just by cleaning the throttle but you'll definitely feel it once you cleaned your plenum.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nope..

there's 3...2 that you see on the flange and the 3rd bolt holds down the spark plug wire bracket/holder. same size..just a little longer.

you *might* have to get a new gasket for that elbow...but sometimes you can reuse it from the elbow.

once open you'll see the dual butterfly opening. spray your cleaner in...you might want to replace the two vacume lines under the TB. there are 2 holes (one in each intake port) that your cleaner will probably end up draining into so pull those lines off the TB before you start cleaning.

oh and try to avoid using the straw...they don't stay on the can and when you spray it usually shoots into the engine.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
94c Big Max

make sure you get new gaskets for each joint....chances are they already dried up and will tear as you dissemble it. I know I had to replace all of mines.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DanNY
oh and try to avoid using the straw...they don't stay on the can and when you spray it usually shoots into the engine.
Speaking from experience?

I shot one of them into a cylinder some years ago,that was loads of fun..
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Speaking from experience?

I shot one of them into a cylinder some years ago,that was loads of fun..
not into the engine...i always do a test spray away from the car to check to make sure the straw won't shoot off. seen it fly off too many times...so i just said eff it and left the straw off.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry that this is not on the subject, and I would create a new thread if I could, but it says I cannot because I dont have enough posts. I dont know too much about maximas to give advice, so Im unsure of how to get posts...but oh well.

Anyway I just purchased an 88 maxima and my electronic speedometer and the trip meter works intermititly. Is this a common issue with maximas? Or is there something in particular to check. I see that the speedometer cable runs up to a module on the firewall and everything is connected, and i seperated the connections and cleaned them, but still the same problem.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
Old 01-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bvtran
make sure you get new gaskets for each joint....chances are they already dried up and will tear as you dissemble it. I know I had to replace all of mines.

I did a search at NAPA and Autozone for throttle body gasket and came up with nothing for the vg30 engine. Any idea Where I can buy or what it is called alternatively.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by jimbo2006
I did a search at NAPA and Autozone for throttle body gasket and came up with nothing for the vg30 engine. Any idea Where I can buy or what it is called alternatively.
might be a dealer part.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Pacecar78_vette
Sorry that this is not on the subject, and I would create a new thread if I could, but it says I cannot because I dont have enough posts. I dont know too much about maximas to give advice, so Im unsure of how to get posts...but oh well.

Anyway I just purchased an 88 maxima and my electronic speedometer and the trip meter works intermititly. Is this a common issue with maximas? Or is there something in particular to check. I see that the speedometer cable runs up to a module on the firewall and everything is connected, and i seperated the connections and cleaned them, but still the same problem.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
might be the speed sensor in the tranny.

also the 88 is a 2nd gen car. might be better answers from the 2nd gen section instead of the 3rd gen section.

BTW welcome to the org.