3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

When Did It Happen

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 PM
bald aggression est 78

When Did It Happen

when did you first fell in love with the third gen.i know that nissan redesigned the max in 89, i but did'nt take notice till 91 it was first time i saw the one i wanted.It was a se black on black auto.Sittin up at the college of New Jersey parking lot during community weekend, that was when the all the local car dealers would display their vehicles the army,marines and navy would show and have their weapons on display for us to shoot. beside all that the chicks that would be there from other towns where bad *** hell. I must of sat in that car all weekend.Its funny cause ten years later in 01 i got the same one. the engine and trans went on me the same day. so i went some years with out one and now i have my 94.so when did it happen for you and how many have you owned
Old 01-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Old 01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well to be honest I never cared for the third gen until I bought mine in September 2005..Originally I wanted a 1995+ which I later found out was called 4th, 5th gen and 6th gen was barely arriving to dealerships. Anyway, been the best car I've ever owned I love it and plan on having a 4th, 5th AND 6th gen one day in the future.

Hey Hectic is that you when your family bought the Max new?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Hey Hectic is that you when your family bought the Max new?
yep, but i totalled that one when i was 19 racing my friend in his ve auto which he bought because he liked ours. the one i have now is a different car. I've considered taking an updated pic, but eh
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Hectic
yep, but i totalled that one when i was 19 racing my friend in his ve auto which he bought because he liked ours. the one i have now is a different car. I've considered taking an updated pic, but eh

totalled a maxima 7 years ago...you disgust me
lol my g.f just told me you should be castrated for totalling a nice car.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:02 PM

hey, why's your g/f thinking about my *****? jk

my sister actually rear ended someone, i had a co-worker puke all over the rear door panel, it had decent exhaust leak before i totalled it. Still, it only had 90k miles on it and was in good shape. Although it wasn't brand new like it the picture. But I admit, I was pretty sad at the time
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

I fell in love with the 3rd gen body style in 1988, but was not of the legal driving age. Purchased a one year old 1994 SE 5-speed (1995), had it a month before it was totaled. Almost immediately turned around and bought a 1992 GXE (yes, back in 1995) - the same car I drive today.

I just replaced the front struts (off an SE) today (the ones I bought off of someone on the .org) and it feels like it did (actually, probably better) than it did 12 years ago.

Lots of memories... lots of fun moments... lots of scary moments... It's still my Maxima.

Thing is, I've been very tempted at moving to a 5th gen, 6-speed, but my car has been paid off for ten years, and it still posts 27mpg, and has (once again) a comfortable ride. Hard to justify "upgrading" when the 3rd gen Maxima is still delivering.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 AM

When I stepped on the gas pedal.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I was a 3rd gen maxima fan when most of you guys still were in elementary school..
Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I was a 3rd gen maxima fan when most of you guys still were in elementary school..

^^ Dat dere's funny, I don't care who ya are!!

For me, it was when my brother had a 90 Stanza GXE - fully loaded with EVERY option. I really liked that car and told him if Nissan made the same car, but with a little more interior room, I'd be all over it. Roughly 4-5 months after that conversation, he traded that in on a 91 Maxima GXE. Hated the leather, but LOVED the cars (and Nissans) ever since.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

haha thats what I was just thinking. I almost bought a brand new one in 94 but decided I couldn't afford it.

Then I almost bought a new 4th gen (I just loved Maxima's) in 95 but decided I wanted an eclipse instead when I found a slightly used one for a great price (still a 95 model) because I wasnt ready for a 4 door family car. I was dating my current wife at the time and I gave her my MR2.

It wasnt until we had our first baby (turning 9 this weekend) that we decided to sell our new cars (altima and S10 step side) and get debt free. So I paid cash for my first 3rd gen which was a 90GXE. It wasnt as nice as the Altima (the altima had every option...acc, hud, leather etc.) but it was a nice PAID FOR car that got us through years of use without problems...it is what started my 3rd gen infatuation. Looking for a spoiler for it lead me here which lead me to my first 93...on and on it went from there
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Michael
haha thats what I was just thinking. I almost bought a brand new one in 94 but decided I couldn't afford it.

Then I almost bought a new 4th gen (I just loved Maxima's) in 95 but decided I wanted an eclipse instead when I found a slightly used one for a great price (still a 95 model) because I wasnt ready for a 4 door family car. I was dating my current wife at the time and I gave her my MR2.

It wasnt until we had our first baby (turning 9 this weekend) that we decided to sell our new cars (altima and S10 step side) and get debt free. So I paid cash for my first 3rd gen which was a 90GXE. It wasnt as nice as the Altima (the altima had every option...acc, hud, leather etc.) but it was a nice PAID FOR car that got us through years of use without problems...it is what started my 3rd gen infatuation. Looking for a spoiler for it lead me here which lead me to my first 93...on and on it went from there
Funny,i too looked at a new 3rd gen in 1993 after i totaled my trans am[white se iirc],but my wife was pregnant with our first child at the time,so we decided not to take on a huge payment,ended up getting a 90 supra turbo,which i wrecked 2 years later. i miss that car..

My insurance rates were so high after the 2 accidents,i just drove old clunkers for a some years until my rates dropped...

Then in 2000 i found teh "Greenmax"....and here i am still with her[and the car ]...Now i just want see how much mileage i can get out of the original engine,i'm hoping for 500,000...
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
mod or sell?

ended up getting a 90 supra turbo,which i wrecked 2 years later. i miss that car..
a friend of mine is selling one right now. it's white too

My story is a bit different than most.
back in 95 my Minivan crapped out (engine and transmission got a divorce) so my uncle gave me an 84 max to drive with a rod knock (cheap oil filter cracked open) I drove that for a year or so (never did change the oil ) let the girlfriend drive it until the front injector started to leak, then junked it. G/F (now wife) still wishes we had that car.
fast forward to 2003.
a friend of mine says his friend has a maxima for sale that needs work (injectors, regulators) he'll take a couple hundred for it. So I ought it with the intention to fix and resell it. Car sat around for a few months. Uncle found a customer for it, so we popped in some reman inectors to make the car saleable. Before we went to sell it I had to take my Cherokee in for some work (no surprise there). Drove the max and decided to keep it.
sold the cherokee for a nasty loss
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by internetautomar
a friend of mine is selling one right now. it's white too

My story is a bit different than most.
back in 95 my Minivan crapped out (engine and transmission got a divorce) so my uncle gave me an 84 max to drive with a rod knock (cheap oil filter cracked open) I drove that for a year or so (never did change the oil ) let the girlfriend drive it until the front injector started to leak, then junked it. G/F (now wife) still wishes we had that car.
fast forward to 2003.
a friend of mine says his friend has a maxima for sale that needs work (injectors, regulators) he'll take a couple hundred for it. So I ought it with the intention to fix and resell it. Car sat around for a few months. Uncle found a customer for it, so we popped in some reman inectors to make the car saleable. Before we went to sell it I had to take my Cherokee in for some work (no surprise there). Drove the max and decided to keep it.
sold the cherokee for a nasty loss

And now you drive a Cadillac... J/K STS's are pretty nice...I wouldn't have a problem driving one, just gotta give you some ****...

I wonder what kind of tranny would mate up for a 5-speed swap???
Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maxitech
And now you drive a Cadillac... J/K STS's are pretty nice...I wouldn't have a problem driving one, just gotta give you some ****...

I wonder what kind of tranny would mate up for a 5-speed swap???
sorry but the STS eclipses the Max in all ways but gas mileage.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:13 PM

My first experience was with our maroon SE back in '91. I was about 5 when my parents bought it new. That one was totaled in 2001 and I bought mine (also a '91 SE) in '05 from my grandfather. He got his the same year as we did but bought black so our cars wouldn't be completely identical. That, and he didn't drive it much. I wish he would have waited a few months for the VE though...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 PM

my forced love happened about the time I suggested we possibly trade the Maxima in for a new Subaru. The wife said no she loved the car too much

LOL... J/king. I think I feel in love with the Maxima as soon as I put the Ravin Muffler on. I felt the power and the pull it started to give and from there it's been addictive. Now I'm upgrading my internals... much to the wife's displeasure of not having the car to drive.