3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

steering wheel/column and driving position

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

steering wheel/column and driving position

Would it be safe to make my steering wheel come out an extra 6 inches towards me, along with my combination switches, by way of a steering column extension of sorts? I have a hard time being comfortable driving because my wheel is too far away for my tastes, at the very same time that my pedals are too close for my tastes. Plus I'd like to have the ability to use my armrest, because in order to reach my steering wheel my arm is too straight to use the armrest.

Is a longer-reaching steering wheel just a silly hope to be abandoned, or is it a modification worth doing? I'm not terribly interested in an aftermarket steering wheel, and I would assume all Maxima steering wheels have identical dimensions per generation.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Are you well over 6'3" tall? I am 5'9" and couldnt ask for a better position. Some aftermarket steering wheels can extend but are hard to find if you want CC buttons.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

I'm 6'2" and I find the 3rg gen seating/driving position a bit awkward also.

But lengthening the steering column would be a pretty big project, esp. 6 inches, you would have to extend a few wires at least. Plus the plastic column cover would no longer cover everything up.

But man, would a closer steering wheel be sweet!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ninjasword71
Are you well over 6'3" tall? I am 5'9" and couldnt ask for a better position. Some aftermarket steering wheels can extend but are hard to find if you want CC buttons.
5'10-11" but probably just very picky. every time I get in, I have to wrestle myself into position. but my brake pedal is so close to me that I keep hitting my steering column (with cover removed, even) when I am hovering on the brakes in antipation of the car in front of me doing something stupid (or going down a hill, etc), but i have to reach way way out to hit 10-and-2. I usually drive with my hands resting on my lap at 5-and-7, unless I'm in a tense driving situation, or turning. But once I do my swap, I will really want to have that added stability of putting my elbow on the armrest when shifting, because I'm incredibly right-handed, and can't drive worth squat with just my left hand and arm just reaching out in midair. If I get any farther away, the pedals will be great, but the steering will be impossible. If i get any closer, the steering will be great but my right thigh will have bruises. Maybe my body proportions are weird and nonstandard. But 6-12 inches of extra steering column would make a world of difference. I could recline the seat and actuall lean back in it, instead of leaning forward, and i could comfortably move the seat back to work the pedals.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dillbag
I'm 6'2" and I find the 3rg gen seating/driving position a bit awkward also.

But lengthening the steering column would be a pretty big project, esp. 6 inches, you would have to extend a few wires at least. Plus the plastic column cover would no longer cover everything up.

But man, would a closer steering wheel be sweet!
as for the cover, you could buy another one, cut the original in the appropriate place to add some material from the other one, to add length to the cover. as long as all the holes lined up, it'd be fine, I think. Wires... no big deal I guess. Just get a 50 pack of twist-on connectors or something.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

cover mod, probly.
twist-on connectors for wiring, no.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
kthxbye2u

soooo i guess im not the only one with my head touching the roof am i?

im 5'11'' and i sit pretty close (to what my friends tell me) and i lean back farther than normal people, but not LEANING back like sleeping

uncompfy for long driving distances, although i cant sit still to begin with.

even movie theaters im moving side to side because of my back

i think im linking the problem to my bed... i need a new one

Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dillbag
cover mod, probly.
twist-on connectors for wiring, no.
yeah I was thinking about that as I typed it. What would you suggest for lengthening an entire harness or five?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
soooo i guess im not the only one with my head touching the roof am i?

im 5'11'' and i sit pretty close (to what my friends tell me) and i lean back farther than normal people, but not LEANING back like sleeping

uncompfy for long driving distances, although i cant sit still to begin with.

Oh i've got PLENTY of headroom. funny that I actually noticed that today, and confirmed by bouncing up and down in my seat at a stoplight to see if i would hit my head.. which I didn't. I'm a dork, yes.

As for long distances.. after ~20 miles I have to hit a stoplight or something, to get the kinks out of my back before continuing, though walking around the car is the best remedy. But that's due to me always leaning forward in my seat, not against it like i ought to.

Does your left a-pillar ever block your view? How about your left b-pillar on a left-hand lane change?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
uncompfy for long driving distances, although i cant sit still to begin with
are you sitting on your wallet?i used to keep mine in the back pocket
and it was thick with stupid grocery "club cards" much better now
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 AM
kthxbye2u

capedcadaver:
no... i love my maximas view range i have NO problem trying to see

maximmagician:
yeah i sit on my wallet... that gets annoying also... but i actually found a way to move it allll the way to the right (its in my right back pocket) and then it doesnt bother me

also i noticed i LEAN to the right because i have a 5 speed maybe thats it also
Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 PM
mod or sell?

my only complaint with the 3rd gen max's seating position was that the radio was too far away.
no easy fix for it, so I bought a car that has a better radio location
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 PM

I'm 6'4" and I think the max is a pretty good fit for me, I wouldn't mind the steering wheel being a few inches closer, but it doesn't really prove a problem for me.

And I think the visibility in the Max is great compared to other cars, namely my old 2000 Accord [I'm very glad to be rid of that thing]
Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Gunther
And I think the visibility in the Max is great compared to other cars, namely my old 2000 Accord [I'm very glad to be rid of that thing]
The a-pillar occasionally blocks my view around semisharp lefthand curves, because it's exactly where I'm trying to look where i'm going. but that's a fairly rare condition. just a few specific streets where that always happens. The b-pillar is OK too, just that of all cars, a Geo Prizm has amazing visibility for left-hand lane changes. Otherwise, the Prizm is total crap. (at least, the base 1.6L with 3-speed non-electronic controlled automatic is..). But all those problems are probably caused by where I sit in the car.