3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Small annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Small annoyances

Well, I've got some annoyances in my car that I've dealt with and ignored, but they're starting to get on my nerves. Two major issues to be exact. One is my fuel reading. On my digital gauge (*sigh* I wish I had analog), it will sometimes display that I have three bars of fuel left. Then I turn it off, and come back to it sometime later, and I'm out of bars I can only think it's a sensor that reads how much fuel is left, and that it's faulty. If anyone can help me out with the fuel reading issue, then it's greatly appreciated. Second annoyance, is my radio. I've had an Alpine head unit for quite a while now, and it wasn't cheap when we bought it. Now, the problem I get is craptastic reception with it. Sometimes when I wave my hand in front of the HU, I get static. Is it that my antennae doesn't retract and extend all the way? Or is it something else? Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
I can has?

As for the fuel gauge, I'm not sure... sounds like the problem lies in the digital instrument panel, I'd suggest swapping it out with an analog one ASAP, it's a really easy swap, just a little time consuming. My Antenna doesn't go up either so I keep it about 1/4 of the way up and I still get great reception out of my New JCV. Perhaps it's just time for an upgrade?

You may want to take out the Head Unit and make sure the antenna is pushed all the way into it as well?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM

I was told the switch from Digital to Analog and vice versa was NOT an easy thing to do. Believe me, I'd LOVE to be rocking white SE gauges, but the difficulty of the swap made me back off. And I still think my radio problem is weird. My HAND disrupts the signal. That can't be normal.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 PM

i posted a thread w/ instructions on how to clean the antenna and keep it working.

the radio thing is not normal at all. do u have metal filings in your hand? in that case, your radio is the least of your worries.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 PM

So no one has any ideas about the fuel reading? I filled it up two days ago, and it's already showing up at half-tank (I know, I know, I've DONE all the maintenance stuff, including fixing my exhaust leaks) and I've only done 40 miles. There's no way that it's displaying the right amount of fuel.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I can has?

Hmm, you may be right about the digital to analog but I'm not sure. I know putting the digital climate control, and heads up display in an all analog car is quite a task, but haven't heard the digital gauges to analog... I would take it out anyway and look at the wiring harnesses to see if it matches up with that of an analog one if no one chimes in. Anyway... Good luck with it.

Lovin' the muffler
Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Something can be wrong with the fuel sensor or the ADC (analog to digtal converter), I have an analog on my car and it sometimes give me the wrong reading from the full line to the half tank line. So you might want to make sure the fuel sensor is right. (I never saw it) . My workaround is assume the average MPG is divided from the trip odometer.