3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ve auto starting prob, fuel prob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM

ve auto starting prob, fuel prob?

I have a 92 ve auto, for a while now when I go to start it, it will crank but wont fire up. then i go to start it again and itll crank a few times and sometimes it takes me tappin the gas then to start it. I replaced the O2 a few years ago, knocksensor a year ago, took injectors out had them cleaned put back in with new o rings, new TPS switched, I have the ful wsp exhaust, lightened pulley.... Also my muffler gets coated with black crap, probably unburned fuel. i can smell fuel when i run to muffler and sniff when it has a rouch time starting. I put new spark plugs in a few weeks ago, I looked at them today and the circle part that goes around the electrode also has the threads on it, but faces combustion, is coated black too.

for months I have been getting 12mpg city driving, i figure i should be getting at least 16-18mpg, it used to long ago. Im not sure what problem I have, car seems to run fine for the most part.

What you guys think it could be or reccomend I check? leaking injectors? no wet fuel on plugs. coolant temp sensor is working, TPS is up to par when checked with multimeter.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like a stuck open injector or two..
Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by JakeDilingo
I replaced the O2 a few years ago, knocksensor a year ago, took injectors out had them cleaned put back in with new o rings, new TPS switched,.
hot starting, cold starting, or both? disconnect the 02 sensor, see if anything changes. even if the sensor is good, you may have bad wiring. check your resistance on your injectors. cleaning them will not help if they are bad. maybe also some temperature sensors that will make it run as if it's warming up, but even when it's warmed up. what's your warm idle? maybe a failing ignition component but not totally failed. you have coil on plug but it may be something ignition-related weakening your spark.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM

how can i check which injectors are stuck open, and what signs to look for on plugs? all plugs look same and are heavily coated with carbon. It happens at both, hot and cold starting. when its warmed up the idle in neutral is 850-900....ill rev it and it drops to about 1200 and in 3-4 secs goes down to 850-900. ive checked my coolant temp sensor many random times and engine situations and its always working right....i think its injector related, any info to help pinpoint and injector or the cause? thanks guys
Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

how can i check which injectors are stuck open, and what signs to look for on plugs? all plugs look same and are heavily coated with carbon. It happens at both, hot and cold starting. when its warmed up the idle in neutral is 850-900....ill rev it and it drops to about 1200 and in 3-4 secs goes down to 850-900. ive checked my coolant temp sensor many random times and engine situations and its always working right....i think its injector related, any info to help pinpoint and injector or the cause? thanks guys
you have to check the resistance between the two pins on the injector plug. on each injector. anything out of spec means bad injector. the next person will have to post the spec. i don't know it.

idle seems high by a litle. have you cleaned IACV and TB yet? my iacv was trash-dirty. but i'm putting a new TPS and o2 sensor on too, before i mess with adjusting the idle.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
you have to check the resistance between the two pins on the injector plug. on each injector. anything out of spec means bad injector. the next person will have to post the spec. i don't know it.

idle seems high by a litle. have you cleaned IACV and TB yet? my iacv was trash-dirty. but i'm putting a new TPS and o2 sensor on too, before i mess with adjusting the idle.
I cleaned the TB then took it to a shop, they hooked it up to a machine and it cleaned the **** out of it, i looked in the IM with a flashlight before and after cleaning, wow, it was amazing how clean it got. and i took the IACV off maybe 6 months ago and cleaned it...leaned EGR valve then too...the spec for injectors is like 10.8 or something, not sure what range in ohms, k ohms or what, ill have to check that in the morning...idle got higher after the shop cleaned the **** out of my TB and IM, i cant adjust it any lower than it is so im assuming more fuel being dumped in is causing a higher idle....sound from exhaust seems normal to me tho, no popping. but muffler gets coated with carbon and on start, especially the rough starts when i have to try 2x and hit gas peddle i smell gas and see black smoke.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 PM

anyone got a pic or tell me what pins to test on the back 3 injectors?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:33 PM

figured it out... ALL 6 tested 11.2-11.6 ohms like 4 were 11.5. could one or more still be sticking open?..

would a corroded wire harness that actually connects to the TPS cause my problems? i think its the hard closed switch, i forget, but its not the one that has wires to the tps then to a connector, it directly plugs into top of tps. boot on that is cracked and wires are green..do i need to cut the harness and directly wire it to the tps?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

figured it out... ALL 6 tested 11.2-11.6 ohms like 4 were 11.5. could one or more still be sticking open?..

would a corroded wire harness that actually connects to the TPS cause my problems? i think its the hard closed switch, i forget, but its not the one that has wires to the tps then to a connector, it directly plugs into top of tps. boot on that is cracked and wires are green..do i need to cut the harness and directly wire it to the tps?
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_2112.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_2103.jpg

my car still starts...
I'm soldering a new harness on, and bought a new TPS anyways. I have had other sorts of problems that may be related to it (corroded connectors are never good..) so I decided to get new stuff to replace it with. I don't know if that would cause it to be dysfunctional as yours is. One way to see, if you suspect it, disconnect it (hey it rhymes) but yeah, if you see a chance in behaviour, or if it works when you short the hard-closed wires on the harness end, maybe you found your problem.

the wires are supposed to be green. just not the metal connectors.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_2112.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_2103.jpg

my car still starts...
I'm soldering a new harness on, and bought a new TPS anyways. I have had other sorts of problems that may be related to it (corroded connectors are never good..) so I decided to get new stuff to replace it with. I don't know if that would cause it to be dysfunctional as yours is. One way to see, if you suspect it, disconnect it (hey it rhymes) but yeah, if you see a chance in behaviour, or if it works when you short the hard-closed wires on the harness end, maybe you found your problem.

the wires are supposed to be green. just not the metal connectors.
mines a ve tho btw, but ya, mine look lke that, new tps tho, ****ty harness lol

ya the metal connectors are green will try unplugging it for a few drives, thanks man